Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an insight to buy and it had an oily substance in the spare tire compartment. It was kinda thick and pooled in the bottom and had seeped down the driver's side and was under the battery compartment on the ledge. It seemed to be coming from the body area above the level of the battery but I am not sure... The battery had been replaced almost two years ago.

Anybody know what this could possibly be? It was not on any of the carpet or exterior or anywhere where you would think a bottle of oil would have dumped over.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
While no sincere question is a bad question I think we're running up against the "problem" of a "must-see" to answer this one.

Clearly the implication is that something in the IMA case like the IMA batteries are leaking. Its possible and would be bad news for a potential buyer. However, with such a failure its also reasonable to believe that the IMA system wouldn't be far from failure either (the IMA warning light should be on).

Obviously some disassembly of the IMA battery case would be indicated _before_ purchase_ to visually confirm or eliminate the possibility of eminent IMA battery failure.

But its in a "trunk" space and its also likely something innocent was spilled. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
i had a similar problem, cept mine was with water

i freaked out when i found water in my spare tire compartment, turned out that(as far as i know) it got in there during a rain storm when i was forced to go through some deep water and it seeped in through the bottom...depending on what this substance really is, it might have seeped in through the bottom if the car was submerged for some reason

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6433

HTH

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I decided that it must be something pretty weird so I passed on it but some people may not look inside the spare tire compartment. So if you are in southeast Texas looking at a silver 2000 insight, beware.

It definitely wasn't something spilled, cause it was seeping in from under the panel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts