Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first let me start with a question:
is there a maximum amount of time you should wait for checking the engine oil?

i turned my car off about 6 hours ago after driving home, and i went to check my oil. i had taken it to the dealer for the 30,000 mile service, and wanted to see (as best i could) if they did everything right. they say they use 0w20 oil, and i saw it in the 'gift shop', as well as the automatic transmission fluid (i have a 2001 CVT).
so i just checked my oil and the level was quite high above the upper mark (actually right about where the "twist" is on the dip stick).
so i'm wondering if that's because i waited too long and the oil has really dripped down to the bottom?
would checking the oil when the car has just turned off be more accurate?

i also recall the same thing happened a few thousand miles ago when i checked the oil and CVT fluid, both were high, but i thought i was just doing it wrong.

i haven't noticed anything really quirky with the car, but could the engine have sustained some significant damage?

im going to do some more testing tomorrow and eventually drive back to the dealership to straighten this out (if i'm not in the wrong). but i need to know if i'm going in the right direction. i've never changed the oil myself (i will someday, but free oil changes from the dealer sure is hard to resist :p) so don't be afriad to give me the "duh" noobie help

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
As long as the engine is off and the car on a level surface your reading should be accurate. When the enegine is running the oil will get splashed aroud so you have to remove the dip stick, wipe it off reinsert it completely, then remove it a second time to check. If you are not sure, check it a third time, wiping it off each time. Dealers have often put in too much when they are in a rush. It is unlikely that anything got damaged but it should be remedied right away if it is indeed overfilled.

·
Registered
242 Posts
oil level

Allnighte:
"so i'm wondering if that's because i waited too long and the oil has really dripped down to the bottom?
would checking the oil when the car has just turned off be more accurate?"

I was always taught that you should wait a few minutes for the oil to "drip down to the bottom" to check it. If you check the oil just after you've turned the engine off, it should be a little low on the dip stick. If you can check it with the engine cold, on level ground, that's probably about the best reading you'll get.

If there is way too much oil in the engine, air will mix in with it and it will froth, reducing the lubricating properties of the oil to the point the engine can be damaged.

Apparently dealers are notorious for putting too much oil in, but usually just a half quart or so.

One of the Honda dealers near me has stacks of cases of some "off brand" oil (don't remember the name - it's not like it's anything anyone ever heard of). I've always wondered which cars get the cheap stuff - part of the reason I change my own. I think if I was letting the dealer change it, I would hand them 2.6 quarts of 0-20w or 0-30 and watch them put it in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: oil level

alright thanks for the help guys. looks like i'll head back there tomorrow and try to set them straight - for the other customers sake too

Jim said:
I think if I was letting the dealer change it, I would hand them 2.6 quarts of 0-20w or 0-30 and watch them put it in.
oh thanks, that was my next question. 2.6 quarts is the amount that should be put in after a drain of the old oil right?
what about when you're changing the filter too? does that number go up?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,926 Posts
Which dealer are you useing for your oil changes? Most will overfill. I get all my parts except oil from "TIPTON HONDA" in El Cajon. Have no complaint on their service..... :twisted:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Willie Williford said:
Which dealer are you useing for your oil changes? Most will overfill. I get all my parts except oil from "TIPTON HONDA" in El Cajon. Have no complaint on their service..... :twisted:
Poway Honda
they're not bad other than this. they got me a good deal on the Insight, plus they gave me a free rental while i had the 30k service done

they just need a little help in the specialized service department :p

·
Registered
242 Posts
oil level

Allnighte wrote:

"2.6 quarts is the amount that should be put in after a drain of the old oil right?
what about when you're changing the filter too? does that number go up?

No, it doesn't. 2.6 IS the amount of oil you put in when you change the oil and filter.

Good luck with the dealer...

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Allnighte:

___Since the Insight has such a small sump in it, most lube places probably don’t know how much it holds. I had my oil changed just before I drove it off the Honda dealer’s lot. I brought 3 Qt.’s of Mobil1 0W-20 and a filter with me. I asked for the extra back just in case they didn’t get it right. The level was just a touch to the high side or nearer the full mark which was perfect imho. To high and I would have had them remove the excess. Even the local Walmart checks the oil level after a filter and oil change and a 10 - 15 second start/run/shutdown. Why didn’t your dealer do this is the question I am wondering about right now?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1ee8i8rq][email protected][/email:1ee8i8rq]

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Allnighte said:
plus they gave me a free rental while i had the 30k service done
Free rental? How much did they charge for the 30k Service? Note: most of the things dealers advertize to do in the 30k service are not required for the Insight (or most other Hondas).

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have never had a dealer (or other shop) NOT overfill on an oil change. And they put the filter on too tight, for no extra charge.

If I would ever have it done by someone else again, I would check the level before I leave, so they can fix their mistake then and there.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
2.5 quarts oil change
2.6 quarts oil and filter change
3.2 quarts engine overhaul

I've found 2.6 to be the perfect amount of oil to fill the engine with. Sadly yes the dealerships will overfill your car. I've heard of as much as 4 quarts going in to Insight's before! I think they just assume it's the same as a civic. Before you get it straightened out I might recommend taking a picture of the dip stick just in case there is any issue with it in the future. I doubt it would cause damage with as quickly as you caught it, but you never know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Armin said:
Allnighte said:
plus they gave me a free rental while i had the 30k service done
Free rental? How much did they charge for the 30k Service? Note: most of the things dealers advertize to do in the 30k service are not required for the Insight (or most other Hondas).
$300 :(
but i guess it's not bad considering i get free oil changes from them...

i took it back there today. the service lady had a mechanic check the oil right after i parked, and he said "its a bit above the upper mark, but it should be fine". i then told him that it was quite high when i checked it cold, and he told me that it's at the correct reading right now because the oil was "thinned out"
the service lady asked if i wanted it drained, and i told them i did. i could tell the mechanic was a little annoyed, oh well :)

checked it again when i got home. its hard to see it when its warm, but it looked at around the upper mark. let it cool for another hour and checked it again, its right smack dab in the middle of the upper mark hole. mileage feels different ever since i took it in on saturday, but then again i've only driven it in stop and go around town.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Don't know about the Insight but on older engines (IE muscle cars) if the oil is overfilled it creates too much oil pressure and blows the .. ah, well I can't remember the name. Anyways, blows one of the seals.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Uh oh?

You guys are making me worried. After my 15,000 service done by the dealer I noticed it was over the top hole on the dipstick, but I didn't worry too much.

If it's about at the twist, is that bad enough to want to change it? :?:

Is there an easy way to just take out a little bit? :?:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Re: Uh oh?

figgy said:
Is there an easy way to just take out a little bit? :?:
Yes, get an oil extractor. I have one. Pela 6000 (google it). Removes it through the dipstick hole.

much easier than trying to get a small amount out of the bottom end.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Extracter

Is that just a thin tube?

I tried a small tygon tube, but it didn't go all the way because it was 1/4 OD.

Is your extracter basically a tube with a reservoir on the other end? I am tempted to just go try to find the smallest OD nylon or Tygon and try that with a little suction to get it started.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Pela 6000

I looked at photos of it, and it seems to have a large diameter hose. How did you worm the hose down into the oil pool?

I imagine that draining from the bottom for changes is best because any (if any at all) heavier sediments will be down there. The extracter is the perfect solution for reducing a bit of overfill, however.

Figgy

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
More data on Pela:

It says:

Tubes:  3/16"  &  1/4"  OD, Length 47" each

Is yours the 3/16 OD?

I tried a 1/4 OD tube, and it didn't seem to want to go into the oil at the bottom of the hole (couldn't go in all the way).

I figure I can make my own vacuum with the built in air pumps that I use for breathing. As long as they don't get filled with oil...

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Pela 6000. is great. I stopped using the dealer after they over filled my oil.. I now use the Pela on my Insight and the wifes TDI Jetta.

Super simple and very clean. It even measures the amount removed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts