Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried another oil besides 0/20?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I use Amsoil 0W30. It doesn't seem to affect the mileage significantly and the motor seems a little smoother to my ears. I'm hoping that it will extend the life of the engine as I'm planning to keep my Insight for a loooooong time. :D

If you put a turbo kit on the Insight you had better put 0W30 synthetic in. Although the Insight engine may be fine with 0W20, the turbo is probably not. :wink:

By the way, I see that you have two aluminum bodied Hondas. Nice going!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if I use 5w-20 will the mpg be like 2-3 mpg less, or really not enough to notice? Honda seems to be the only one I can find that has the 0w-20. And yes we do have two aluminim bodied hondas in the household and both produced in the same factory from what I'm told. :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
This topic has been discussed many times in the past. :) Try the forum search feature if your interested in the "old" details.

Almost no difference im MPG will be detectable. Once the engine is warm the difference in 0W through 10W is nil. In theory and during warm-up (the first 3 miles or so in cold weather) the "thicker" oil will increase internal engine drag and consume more gas. But IRW (In the Real World) this is not measureable since there are _many_ other MPG factors an order of magnatude or two higher. (x10 - x100) :shock:

FYI Penzoil is now making their synthetic version in 0W-20

I've used 0W-20, 5W-30 & 10W-30 (all synthetics) wil no discernable MPG difference.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
FYI Penzoil is now making their synthetic version in 0W-20
Has anyone purchased, used, or even seen this yet? I have been casually searching since May and have yet find a single bottle. I didn't hear about the end of Mobil 1 until it was too late to stock-up (anyone want to send me 3 bottles to get me by?).

Anyway, my option is to use Amsoil 5W-20 if the Pennzoil can't be located.

Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've never seen the Pennzoil 0W-20 anywhere.

I was recently able to get Mobil 1 0W-20 by special order from my local NAPA store, though....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts