Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok tonight on my way home my insight started to do a funny thing.

when I would get to about 4000 RPM the Revs seemed to have no resistance and easy went right up to 6000 RPM, Problem was the car wasnt going any faster...

It did this in all gears (Didnt get fast enough to try 4 or 5) but the forst three.

When I got home all I could smell was a really bad Burning smell, i popped the hood and the smell was worse, it was too dark to see

The IMA is fine, this has nothing to do with battery, anyone know what sort of mechanical problem i could be facing?? Should I have my car towed to honda??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also it isnt the clutch, clutch seems fine (Went into and out of gears flawlessly)

please whatever you guys can help me with that would be awsome

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Your sure it wasn't a clutch smell? 4K is the Vtec threshold so you get more power right there and it sounds like something in the equation isn't able to handle the pull after that point. Are you familiar with what burning clutch smells like? It's not the greatest smell in the world.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
What you describe sounds like a slipping clutch. Was there any snow on the ground? that could have done it too, it would not explain the smell though.

The gears would still be able to go in just fine with a bad clutch, it would just slip when you apply full power.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was no snow, roads were dry

Im not sure how to describe the smell, other then gross, i would describe as a plastic smell/rubber smell but my sence of smell is not reliable...

Does something like that mean a new cluctch or could it be fixed?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've burned out a couple of clutches myself. What you're describing sounds like it, except that you were able to regain some torque. Each time I fried a clutch, stepping on the gas pedal would get me nowhere.

Disclaimer: we're talking about junky cars college students drive; the newest of which was manufactured in 1982.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Getshocked.ca:
Getshocked.ca said:
Would something like this be under warrenty??? (I have honda plus 160,000km full coverage)
___Did you recently purchase it or have you had it a few years? If it’s the latter, it will probably be diagnosed as a normal wear and tear item unfortunately.

___Good Luck and let us know what your local Honda dealership finds.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3665y1w8][email protected][/email:3665y1w8]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I really really really doubt it'd be warrantied. A clutch is a normal wear and tear item like brake pads. Unless somehow you could prove manufacturer defect I think your going to have to front the cost.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm sure you have worn out the clutch.
This is a wear item totally dependent on how the driver uses the clutch.
How many Kms does the car have?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I am sorry to see that you might have to replace the clutch :(

If it is, please do post how much it cost to replace and how much time it takes.

I am an automatic kind of guy and my Insight is manual (no other option in 2000) and I could have been hard on it.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Yeah, I have to go with the others---sounds like a fried clutch----unfortunately. If it turns out to be so, please post what something like that would cost to fix on an Insight.

Murasaki

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have to go with the clutch too. I had an 82 Civic that had shifted fine but slipped terribly under load.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I found out the problem today, and everyone who said clutch was right

parts and lapour look to be about 900 bucks CND :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts