Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approximately four years and one week ago, I replaced my IMA pack with an 8AH pack from Hybrid Revolt. For the first two years or so it was running well but then I started seeing recals. I bought a grid charger then and have used it occasionally. I have not used it since mid-October and last night my IMA light came on after a series of recals. The last time I used the charger, I noted the pack voltage was 140V before I started charging. I can only imagine it is worse now. I have not yet had a chance to jumper the OBDII port in order to pull the exact DTC's so I cannot be sure exactly what is happening. The IMA was working this morning on my commute, providing assist and taking a charge.

One thing I have never done is a discharge/recharge cycle as I only have charging capability not discharging capability. It would not be difficult to tap into the charging cable pins to get access to the battery pack voltage and I could rig up two 40W bulbs (I think I still have some) in series to serve as a load. As these cells are, I assume, no more than five or so years old, I would imagine they can be rehabilitated. The car is a Y2K, has 112,000 miles on it, a noisy transmission and other minor issues that do not make it worth replacing the pack any longer. I could replace sticks if it came to that but I will cross that road if/when it becomes necessary.

Basically I am looking for any rehab tips that I can apply for now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a $500 Insight last January that threw the occasional IMA light. Over the summer, I let the local tech college do a charge/discharge battery conditioning cycle on it. The teacher thought my pack was one of the original Honda packs. I haven’t seen an IMA light since then. So there’s that.

Obviously, I’m not the expert here, but most everything I’ve read on Insight Central suggests that a full charge/discharge/charge cycle is what it takes to recondition the batteries.

Once Ol’ Rowdy finishes his v2 grid charger design, I plan to build my own charge/discharge rig.

Best of luck!

Park

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The discharge cycle is what I have never done and I expect I will have to do. The easiest solution for me at this time is to go with 2 40W bulbs in series. However, before I start putting that together, I had the car on the grid charger for 24 hours. The voltage climbed to 181 which is the highest I have ever let it go. I started the car afterwards and the IMA light was still on :(. Then I remembered, oops, forgot to pull the SOC fuse momentarily to do a reset. I did that, started up and the SOC gauge was now blank AND the IMA light was out :D. I need to take it on the road for about 5 minutes to calibrate but hopefully this will give me a respite before I need to really attack the problem. The cells should be good quality Panasonic 8Ah so I am confident they can be coaxed into providing me additional life. My biggest worry up to now has been the transmission but the 4 year old pack threw me a curve. I only have a little over 112K miles on the car as it has been a short range commuter car since I bought it in April 2001.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Just let it idle for a while till the SOC readjusts after pulling and resetting the #16 fuse under the hood.
Short trips are not good for the IMA battery.

·
Super Moderator
7,274 Posts
The cells should be good quality Panasonic 8Ah so I am confident they can be coaxed into providing me additional life.
The new cells used by the non-Honda re-builders such as Hybrid Revolt and Bumblebee are not Panasonics. They are sticks of 6 cells supplied from China. They are not branded afaik. Still, both builders have a lot of experience with the Chinese material.

The Chinese sticks use different build techniques from Panasonic. The cells are welded together with different methods and are unvented. This combination sometimes results in the cell overheating, overpressure, and electrolyte leaks.

You do need to recover the codes to get any meaningful comment from the forum members. The subcodes are also quite helpful. Blink out the subcodes by this method:

Only tool needed is a bent paperclip ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to provide an update. I did not have a chance to do the DTC recovery by grounding pin 9 of the ODBII port. It was Thanksgiving Day and I wanted to get the car on the charger ASAP.

When I plugged it in, I got a reading of approximately 154 volts. I left the car plugged in for 24 hours, which is the longest I have ever kept it connected. The following morning it read 181 volts which was also the highest reading I have ever seen. I momentarily pulled the SOC fuse and when I started the car the IMA light was out as expected. I took the car out on a five mile local drive and the SOC went to full scale after a few minutes. The IMA light did not return. I drove the car Sunday morning on a short 10-mile round trip and again this morning on my 24 mile one-way commute. Both times there was some minor movement of the SOC gauge from assist usage but no recals and assist was working fine. The IMA light has not returned.

For now I will assume the IMA issue was in fact a cell issue which the grid charger has corrected. Most likely temporarily. It was nice not having the recalibration nonsense this morning. Eventually I am going to have to do the deep discharge/charge cycle routine which I have never done before. Only topping off.

·
Super Moderator
7,274 Posts
You have top balanced 120 cells and are likely using the top part of the charge. The rebalance may give you a temporary reprieve.

It would be interesting to know what your tap voltages are, if you are willing to take the lid off. Use this ref:

post #2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts