Honda Insight Forum banner

oldest and youngest.

8K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  enders 
#1 ·
whenever i see pictures of of insight owners i see older people. and whenever i meet another insight owner, its always someone who's retired. same goes for civic hybrids and prius owners. i'm not saying they're old, but they are older than me. so i was just curious on who the youngest and oldest person is on the board.

i'm 19, i turn 20 in june.

#6 ·
19 Here. Actually got it when I was 18, but really would have wanted one back in 2000 when I was 16. But I have to agree it seems it is the older crowd that owns them, espeically Prius's. At least I know of a few of you who are around my age.

#7 ·
62 and feeling young. Bought the Insight for its technical items, looks and "being different". Love to drive and have that opportunity at retirement. A "hot rodder" from the 50 ish time as evident by the modifications I've done. .........

#9 ·
I'm 19, turning 20 May 30th
bought the 2001 CVT in december of 2001. so I was 18 at the time.

I've seen a mixed group of Insight drivers, though they are usually men, appear to be around the 40's.

I have seen at least 20 Priuses here in San Diego, every single one has had grey hair. :lol:

#10 ·
Tim Maddux said:
I think I've posted about this before, but most of the Prius owners in my area are old, as in 65+, and most of the Insight owners are younger than 50. I have no idea why this is.
I would think that the age difference probably has a good deal to do with the 2 seats versus 4 seats difference in the cars. The older one is, up to a point, probably influences what their needs for a car are and what their finances are like. Having only 2 seats, the Insight is probably considerably more impractical, lending itself to those who are single. I fall into that category, I'm 30 and single. I only seldom need more seats than the Insight affords. I'm having a child in July, and if weren't for the fact that the mother has a four door, four seat car, I'd probably be looking for a car offering more practicality. As it is, I've gotten an airbag cutoff switch installed in my car so I can keep my Insight despite its limitations on the cargo side of things. If I were buying now instead of when I bought my Insight three years ago, unfortunately the Insight would probably not be a car that would appear on my shopping list. Plus, it looks so much like the old CRX that its appearance alone probably appeals more to the younger car buyer as opposed to someone who wouldn't have liked the CRX back when it was in production.

Just some thoughts, please don't take my observations as either died in the wool fact or as stereotyping!

#12 ·
I'm 34 and I have also noticed that the other Insight owners I know or have seen are quite a bit older than me.

Then again I also have two kids and I didn't let that stop me from buying an Insight. We just have another car to haul the family in.

#14 ·
24 here... wanted it when it first came out.. was in love with it... and inspired a bunch of people I worked with because I knew what I wanted, and then made it a reality on June 12th, 2002 (My mom's birthday ironically, though she was out of the country, so I didn't travel to visit her on her birthday).

It took graduating from college and some careful money management (and a little luck) and I haven't regretted it at all.

I've seen 3 other insight owners and they have varied between what looked like 20's - 40's. Then there are the ones I email with, and we all know Jim Holmgren has gotta be a 16 yr old trapped ina 88 yr olds body (j/k Jim! You rock man, I know you're not 88 ).

I look forward to a gathering this summer, and I'd organize one if I could actually get a few people together (I live in Orlando, FL, central for any Floridians). Besides, the 'tourist stuff' is always a good excuse. :)

#15 ·
This would be my first post. I have been reading on this site for about a month. I am 58 and this would be my second Honda automobile. The first I purchased new in 1971. It was a 600cc sedan. Wonderful little 2 cyl. car.

I bought the Insight used with 40,000 miles on it. I hope I did the right thing. I am still getting used to the car with only about 1000 miles driving. I will read this site often for the valuable information herein. Thursday I am driving from my home near San Fran to Portland Oregon. I hope to get the high mileage I have seen claimed here.

#16 ·
Quote:
"Then there are the ones I email with, and we all know Jim Holmgren has gotta be a 16 yr old trapped ina 88 yr olds body (j/k Jim! You rock man, I know you're not 88 ). "

Ahh..man, your killing me! I'm 34, but as with cars- it's not so much the age, its the MILEAGE! :wink:

My Insight is the result of an overly indulgant wife and a 125 mile round-trip to work every day. Fortunately we just took delivery on an '03 Odyssey so we can haul the 3 kids around (and then some). Man, that 240hp engine is SWEEET. My 5th Honda from Rahal Honda in Mechanicsburg, PA :D

#17 ·
Oldest And Youngest

I'm 48, wanted an Insight since I was 46, and would have wanted one whether I was 18 or 88. I've seen several Insights and their owners around here, mostly under 30 I'd say, one I'd guess around 60. A lot of different factors make up why someone buys an Insight. Mine was 110+ mile round trip evryday. I also thought it was a pretty cool looking car.

#20 ·
I was 48 and wanted a car with good gas mileage. I learned that the Insight was a hybrid car that got very good gas mileage. It was awfully tiny, though. I bought it with some misgivings. Two years later I am definately an Insight Enthusiast. Being 50 I guess I'm in the median age bracket, it seems.

#21 ·
Well, I'm 20, and I desperately want an Insight! But I'm a poor college student and by the time I can afford one (hopefully grad school) there will probably only be used ones left. That bums me out, I wish there was some way I could get one without going broke. My ideal insight would be a Blue, 5 speed, w/ AC, and all the options. 'corse I would have to get good at driving a stick which I also really want to do, but don't have much access to manuals and people who would teach me... Someday, hopefully... :?

#23 ·
Since everyone else is posting their age, for the record I am thirty years old. Most of the posts on this topic appear to be from people in their twenties with a couple of more mature gentlemen thrown in for good measure. Is twenty-something the typical age of Insight drivers or is it the typical age of Internet Forum users?

#24 ·
Okay I'm older than dirt (60) going on 29. :lol: I learned to drive when I was 14 years old which was before most of you were born and have loved cars all my life. I have always had a soft spot for unusual ones.
On a bright note to all you younger guys, passion for life and living doesn't end at thirty :)

#25 ·
Im 24 and traded a 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 on my 2003 Insight it is amazing how much money you save when you arenot dumping $300/month down the gas tank. the money I am savin in fuel and payment and Ins = 550 / month But by the amount I drive now IllBe out of warrenty in 6 months Bought new in december and as of today I have 17000 miles on it All but about 400 of those is highway miles I get average 65 MPG cause I drive a little faster then most and my 59 Life time milage shows that

#26 ·
Jerry said:
Okay I'm older than dirt (60) going on 29. :lol: I learned to drive when I was 14 years old which was before most of you were born and have loved cars all my life. I have always had a soft spot for unusual ones.
On a bright note to all you younger guys, passion for life and living doesn't end at thirty :)
Well, I was 2 when you started driving; 48 now. I think it is easier to point to the age group underrepresented than overrepresented here: 30s. That's the age where childbearing (and child driving) and keeping up with neighbors are typically a big deal, making the Insight the wrong car for you. Younger people with money to spend on things other than kids' college savings and older guys who can finally buy the car they really want, or who can afford to buy a second car are prime targets for the Insight.

The worst times of my life happened before I was thirty. The best times are now. Youth is overrated. My misery then has enhanced my appreciation for my joys now. Driving the Insight is one of them, but only one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.