Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
You're referring to the end of discharge #2. I'm not sure what the recovery voltage was, because my daughter was implementing my (apparently not very clear) directions by text message, and the only data I have is what she wrote down. She couldn't explain it to me very well, but here's what I think happened...

What she described doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

According to your description of the Mean Well on your website, it shouldn't start charging unless the battery is at a minimum of 100V. Maybe it automatically kicked in once the battery recovered to 100V+, sometime between 17:04 and 18:11?

It was definitely charging at 18:11 last night. As of 9:11 this morning it had pushed the battery up to 164.6V. The charge curve looks the same as the previous two charge cycles so far.

We'll see. I definitely appreciate the more detailed write-up of the charge and discharge cycles you added to your website.

- Park [/QUOTE]

I misread the Mean Well data sheet and based on your initial experience with turning the charger ON & OFF in our private emails when it wouldn't output voltage with the 60 watt bulbs I thought you had to switch the supply ON/OFF to get to work again.

But based on what you found when the voltage was 9 volts and rising, I now realize what the HLG-60H-C350A data sheet means in this specification,

"PROTECTION - SHORT CIRCUIT ............ Hiccup mode, recovers automatically after fault condition is removed."

i.e. The power supply will not charge the battery if it is below 100 volts. But the charger will automatically power back on when the voltage rises to more than 100 volts. That's actually a good thing if necessary so the battery can recover on it's own before the charging starts again after a discharge.

I think my power supply may have a longer Hiccup fault time constant than yours that allows my 60 watt bulbs to light up right away.

I have already changed the following in the "Do a rejuvenation" section of the V2 DIY charger article.

"Here's why:
The power supply will not charge the battery if it is below 100 volts because a protection mode called 'Hiccup mode' kicks in. The charger will power back up when the voltage rises to more than 100 volts."

So that clears up why your charger started working by itself by the time you came home.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Finished discharge #3, and was able to monitor the discharge myself and more closely. Actually, I did two discharges on this cycle.

The first, long discharge (#3a) took the battery from 169.1V to 60V over about 22 hours. As before, there was a very long slow discharge until the battery dropped below about 138 volts, and then the curve rounded into a steep descent. At this point I began checking every half hour, then every fifteen minutes. I let it drop to 60V.

With the load disconnected, the battery quickly rebounded to to over 120V in about fifteen minutes. After resting overnight the voltage was 137.3V.

I wanted to see how long it would take the battery to reach 20V, so I started another discharge (#3b) this afternoon using the 25w/25w load, monitoring every five minutes. It only took 1.5 hours to bring the voltage down from 137.3 to 20V. With an hour's rest, the voltage bounced back to 131.3V.

The power supply will not charge the battery if it is below 100 volts.
While the battery was recovering from the deep discharge and still well below 100V, I tried turning on the charging circuit. As advertised, it did not try to charge the battery.

Now I am on to the last charge cycle. 30 hours to go, and the car will be back on the road. We'll see how she runs then.

Learning points so far...

(A) The 3-cycle charge and discharge battery conditioning takes a LONG time.

(B) The battery discharge requires careful monitoring once the voltage drops below 140.

(C) The battery voltage bounces back quickly from a deep discharge, but the battery will quickly drop again under load.

None of this is news to old-timers, but it's interesting for me to experience for myself.

- Park

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Final update...

I finished my full three-cycle charge and discharge battery conditioning. It took about eight days from start to finish. You can see the graph of volts and amps during each cycle in links elsewhere in this thread.

Here's a photo from near the bottom of the final discharge cycle...

The discharge is down to 41V and 0.08 amps (80 milliamps). The dual 25W bulbs are barely glowing. At 20V the lamps were not visible illuminated at all.

After the third charge and discharge cycle, I did one final grid charge for 29 hours. The voltage peaked at 173.4V, and after resting overnight the battery read 165.4V.

--------
The point of this of course is to rejuvenate the battery. So how does it drive? WAY better.

Before doing this reconditioning cycle I could drive around town without generally tripping the IMA light, if I was careful. I was still seeing a lot of recalibration and positive charging on the dash. If I got on the interstate or climbed any kind of hill, the IMA would trip out.

After the reconditioning, in city driving the car is flawless. Good boost, good recharge, no recalibration. In fact, the battery meter barely moves.

To really test the battery, I headed east out of La Crosse on State Road 16, which climbs steeply for 1.3 miles from the Mississippi River up to the top of the bluffs. I was able to mostly maintain 55mph in fourth gear with the boost almost pegged. I shifted down to third gear as the system suggested, and with boost was easily able to accelerate up the remainder of the hill. All this fun only depleted the battery gauge about 20%, and descending the hill with regenerative braking topped off the battery again.

I haven't had a reason to get out on the interstate yet, but I expect it will be fine on the big road as well.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with Ol' Rowdy's V2 grid charger and discharger. For less than $100, I've been able to refresh my battery to a very usable state. The car really is much nicer to drive with a solid IMA!

Based on previous experience, I hope to get about six months of service before I need to do the reconditioning cycle again.

I hope this thread encourages you to build your own grid charger/discharger. It is a fun and satisfying project. Feel free to ask any questions. And, one more shout out of thanks! to Ol' Rowdy for the design and assistance.

Blessings,

Park

21 - 23 of 23 Posts