Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, it looks like someone used a -saw- on the hood. It's down to the bare metal, and then some. :evil:
I read in the Knowledge Base that you should use the honda touchup paint, but if it is this deep a scratch, shouldn't i also sand around it? I'm not sure what rules apply here--on my former car i'd completely ignore it, to be honest. or put a bumper sticker over it :)

i'm a little paranoid about having my insight here in the frozen north, where salt is plentiful in the winter.

I can't believe that my car has gotten so scratched up in the short time i've owned it! Within the first week i got a huge 2 foot long scratch from some SOB SUV trying to park too close, and now this.
*sob* My darling! What have they done to you!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Bloody Neanderthals! It sounds like one of them keyed your car. If I said how I feel about that, they wouldn't allow it on this sight. :(

Aluminum oxidizes but it tends to form a self sealing layer. If the scratch is not wide you should not have trouble getting a good quality paint to adhere well enough for a satisfactory repair. The tricky part is doing it so that it doesn't show. A pro who knows what they are doing should be able to blend the paint layers by "feathering" the area using a wet sanding technique.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am soooo sorry. I just hate to think of something like that happening. I park far away from any one else. But then some huge SUV or Truck parks next to me.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the vandalism to your car.
I have a couple of used car alarms, and I would be happy to
give them (and an insight wiring guide) to fellow insight owners
from this forum.
Just send me a PM if interested

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunately b1shmu, "a pro" won't be doing the repair. I will, since my hourly rate is much more reasonable.
Although, at the rate i'm going, i might as well just pick a new body color and start over :evil: Sigh.
is this one of those "don't try it at home" things? or could a reasonably trainable idiot do this? (i.e, me)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I suspect you could do it. If you work with bugs you are probably more dexterous than most. writing a thesis requires patience and research. Apply that here. You don't need to be an artist. If I start to give advice on painting I'm reasonably sure I'll get jumped on as I'm certain that others here are more knowledgeable, but here is my 2 cents worth.

Use only high quality paint. Buy it from the same place the pros get it. Your time IS valuable. Don't waste it with cheap materials. Touch up paint comes in pressurized spray or Small bottles with a brush in the cap. The spray is generally used for large areas where significant body work has been done whereas the small bottle is good for stone chips and where the damage is localized and deep. In each case you apply the paint in several relatively thin layers. Thick layers tend to run and don't harden as fast as several thin layers. "Sanding" is done using water soaked fine high quality paper using grades higher than 400 grit. The higher numbers are so fine that they feel smooth even on the "rough" side. The water prevents the paint dust from clogging the paper. I have never used a "clay bar" but I believe that it can be useful as a final finishing tool.

The paint on the Insight comprises at least three layers; primer, colour, and clear coat. I don't think you need a primer in this case but a close up photo would be helpful.

Visits to the a library, a book store, or a body shop may turn up useful information. That's what I did.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bug don't use the Honda touch-up paint it's crap. Especially since you have a silver car. Trust me I know from experience it doesn't match and will make your scratch look worse than before you started. Then you will really be sobbing.

Go to http://www.paintscratch.com. They have articles and FAQ's on how to fill in scratches. I have their silver touchup paint and it's dead on. You will have to use a spray clear but that is easy to do as well.

BTW, if you mess up the first time with any touch up paint make sure you have some acetone or paint thinner near by to wipe it off to do again. Practice on the super small rock chips else where on the nose before taking on the huge scratch.

If it were me I'd just pay someone to fix the scratch with it being that long. Ask your dealership who they use for their parking lot scratches. Those guys are pros and use nifty air brushes to blend and hide scratches.

Hope all works out well.
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm careful parking, since someone nicked the passenger door a couple of years ago. :(

My solution to people who key an Insight is put them on a tour of duty in Baghdad as an outlet for their aggression. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Unfortunately some ignorant neighbour of mine (don't know who) also got jealous of my Insights. One long key scratch along the whole side of the silver one and two large scratches on my Citrus one, including a scratch across the width of the bonnet. I am fuming. :evil: I was particularly keen on my recent Citrus purchase because its paintwork was near flawless. :(

I have a Valet guy coming on Wednesday and I am hoping that the scratches could be buffed out (or is that just futile?)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear of you guys ordeals. As an owner of an '00 Insight and '02 MINI, SUV drivers take offence to be a bit too. I've had a ding on the MINI's door from some dingbat but had it taken off when it got hailed on :evil: . Luckily, the Insight's been stupid SUV driver free in the parking lots but has the normal war wounds from drafting semi's :wink: . Hope everything goes well and you can fix it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damages you guys. While it sounds like the only proper fix is a repaint it might be worth locating a air brush toucher in your area and see what they can do. I recently was in charge of selling a 99 Accord that was keyed all down the side fairly deep (not past the primer though) and this lady I had air brush touched it to the point where you could get a few inches from it and couldn't tell it had been keyed. Service like this runs around $75 to $100 depending on how bad and how much needs to be done, but they can do some amazing work on scratches.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Well the Valet guy did his thing today (Autoglym) and managed to more or less buff out the key scratches on my Citrus Insight. You now can't see them unless you look really hard.

All I need to do now is stay awake every night keeping an eye on my Insight.......

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If it becomes a reoccuring problem a car cover would greatly help prevent future occurances. I really doubt someone would take the time to uncover your car to key it. Glad to hear it mostly buffed out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just recevied a little nick on my door, about a quarter inch long. Is this something I should take car of with touch up paint? My car is silver, so it doesn't show up much.

Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wow. I have a new appreciation for the neighborhood around my office, the only place where my Insight sits regularly exposed.

bug_girl, think of yourself as applying a craft when you work on your scratch. Take pictures before/after so we can all admire the result.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts