Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all the dreamers here that think they can get $5k, $6k, $7k+ for a beater (200k mi + car), here is a citrus with 147k mi with a good tranny and IMA that can be bought for $3500:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Honda-Insight-Hybrid-Base-Hatchback-3-Door-1-0L-Citrus-5spd-A-C-/321543727931?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&forcerrptr=true&hash=item4add7feb3b&item=321543727931&nma=true&si=XUysykTxOLdQYSgEsWE5xu7375o%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I offered $3500 for this car 3 weeks ago but the seller waited too long and just recently stated they will accept my offer which has since expired due to too many dust collectors around here. Please don't bug the seller unless you are very serious. Who wants a hundred questions from a bunch of pretenders?

I have not seen the car in person so buy at your own risk. The above does not apply to Atikovi as he aint a dreamer and can and does get top dollar for his cars due to his talent in maintenance, photography and auction ad display. JMHO.

Gerald

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Sounds like he gave you a second chance offer? Yeah, those happen when a buyer falls through or when the seller has another account he uses to run up the bids, but doesnt get what he wants.

Ebay frowns on people selling stuff outside the bidding system once the bidding is over.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds like he gave you a second chance offer? Yeah, those happen when a buyer falls through or when the seller has another account he uses to run up the bids, but doesnt get what he wants.

Ebay frowns on people selling stuff outside the bidding system once the bidding is over.
I never bid on the car.
I contacted the seller after the auction.
Gerald

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
102 Posts
EDIT (got my facts wrong).

These cars now remind me of the CRX's I had several of 10 years ago as a teenager. Increasingly rare (especially in good conditon), and because of their 'cult' status sellers appear to ask increasingly ridiculous prices (imo).

·
Registered
300 Posts
I got mine for three grand off Craigslist, and it's a Florida car in excellent condition inside and out with 203,000 on the odo. It has AC, upgraded seats, a Kenwood 4 speaker system with DVD player/Navigation, new paint, good tires, tint, functioning IMA system, etc . . . . I don't think it will depreciate any below what I bought it for if I go to sell it, I might even make money if gas is ridiculously high at that point. A similar one with 50,000 less miles just sold in my county for over four grand last week, but it wasn't in near as good shape as mine.

I'm planning on driving it indefinitely and keeping up with repairs, or until I get an Elio if they ever roll them out, then I'm sure I'll pass it on to one of my sons

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't believe

I cannot believe that nobody didn't ponce on this car when I said it could be purchased for $3500. Seller has relisted this and the bid is now $3500
Honda Insight Base Hatchback 3 Door | eBay
What ever happened to the collectibility of these citrus cars? It's like the supply when up and the demand and gas prices went down. I guess it sux for that "collector" who has eight of these. What was he thinking?
Gerald

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I dont think the Citrus is as rare or desirable as people make it out to be. At the meet up at Trucks house the white insight got most of the attention. Hell, we had like 6 Citrus there and a few others left theirs at home to take another insight. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,877 Posts
I dont think the Citrus is as rare or desirable as people make it out to be. At the meet up at Trucks house the white insight got most of the attention. Hell, we had like 6 Citrus there and a few others left theirs at home to take another insight. :rolleyes:
Get your double vision corrected my friend - the friend part actually true in this case:D

There are only two shown in the group picture.

How many are there in the nation? Who really knows, they were only sold in 2000, because they apparently didn't sell in large numbers at the time. They are overrepresented at meets and such because the afficionado's who congregate here chase them down. Lets look at getting an estimate another way. The Citrus registry shown here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnKIJyfw3u_6dDIyOExTM3lNbjlIMEROOVpnT3FUVkE#gid=0

was a two year attempt to find all the units I could identify. It has 30 U.S. entries. I know of 7 more, not yet entered. Lets say I've only been able to find half the cars, then that would make a total of something like 80-100 cars, not a very large number. One can see that many silver cars driving twice around the D.C. beltway.

But, as galevin pointed out sometime previously, the Pearl Blue from 05-06 may actually be more rare, since very few G1 were sold that year.

Collecting has always been a turbulent activity. Values have always been volatile for collectable cars. Sometime in the future, perhaps in another 10-15 years, we will really know whether the Citrus is a collectable. Collectibles are usually depressed when inflation is low. The government is telling us that we actually have to fear deflation at this point, and deflation has already occurred in some European countries.

I don't really understand the apparent hostility toward collecting cars. The cars which fall into the hands of collectors get some of the most devoted and loving care of any. Isn't it a good thing to have a beautiful example to look, carry to a car show and occasionally drive?

·
Super Moderator
6,877 Posts
I cannot believe that nobody didn't ponce on this car when I said it could be purchased for $3500. Seller has relisted this and the bid is now $3500
The pictures are terrible and do a poor job representing the car, it is a NE car probably having some rust on various steel bolts, nuts, brackets and lines, and gas prices are at near record lows. There are no interrior pictures. The seller doesn't know how to represent the car.

When atikovi buys the car, moves it here to the Mid-Atlantic and adequately prepares it for sale, it will bring $6000.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was high bidder with two days left.
In original ebay description seller stated IMA came on 2 or 3 times a year. Seller then amended description without Ima issue. I retracted.
I do agree with jime that these cars , especially in the rust belt are prone to issues.
Just letting everyone know

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Jime, on radio they say only 1% pf the listening audience calls in. Of course we alone have met quite a few insight owners who are not online or heard of the this website or care to let the guberment know where they live and what car they own. :D So using the radio figures 37 x 100 = 3700 at least. Til I met you the most common gen 1 insight I see is red, silver or blue.

Same with prius cars, gen 1 I see are silver, gen 2 silver, that strange green color and a few red ones.

Anyhoo, auctions is the best litmus test of demand for anything and what its estimate value is. Lets see how this turns out. Im just peeing in my pants about something the buyer posted, "I would recommend installing a grid charger on every Honda hybrid.". What a great way to CYA. :evil:

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably wont see much action till the snipers hit with 5 seconds to go. With ezsniper that is how I play the game
Gerald

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Well, thats one way. If there are a few items listed you want to win one you can run all the bids up early to discourage other bidders. Of course that doesnt mean the seller wont cancel their listing at the 11th hour if they see no more activity and think it will go too cheap. :mad:

Probably wont see much action till the snipers hit with 5 seconds to go. With ezsniper that is how I play the game
Gerald

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This citrus sold for $3550. Literally zero premium for being green.
Where have all the buyers gone?
Gerald

·
Super Moderator
6,877 Posts
This citrus sold for $3550. Literally zero premium for being green.
Where have all the buyers gone?
Gerald
It is true that buyers are depressed, but I think you are making too much out of a single transaction. I stand by what I said in permalink #9.

There is currently just too much supply, particularly on the "trash" end of the spectrum, for the car to be perceived as rare and collectible. I personally believe that we are on the cusp of a significant reduction in numbers. You can see it in the discussions here of distressed cars and alternatives being weighed. With the current level of adandonments and unfixable wrecks, I think the "inventory" could be reduced by 1/2 in the next 2-3 years. It would then take 2-3 years for the scarcety of "good" cars to be noticed.

Think about this one phenomenon - there is a price level for the distressed car at which owners of multiple examples will step in and start buying low priced cars, just to have the parts. Price any new parts lately at Majestic ;-)

The car WILL at some point become scarce and collectible, and the attractiveness of the Citrus examples will be maintained. Buy while they are cheap, but be very selective. All JMHO.

If you are a collector, buy them when they are cheap and hold for the long term.

·
3,641 Posts
That's an incredible price...but as someone stated before, the first listing described IMA codes, and subsequent description didn't mention. So buyer beware...and should plan on grid charging. Which really should be any owner's longevity plan.

+1 for JimE comment ^ plus factor in cyclic oil prices.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
:-? As a gen 2 owner, the gen 1 forum has really changed over the past few years. At first Mike DB2K was the main attraction with his mods to his Insight from the phev he made, the 5th wheel and mima. Then Eli and others discovered careful driving could get better mpg exceeding 100 with lean burn. Peter started to pop up more with his rally car and his mods, odb2 c&c gauge, etc.

More people were posting and discovering how to get supreme mpg. Some did it in clever ways, others drove around in a some what normal manner.

Ron, Mike, Pete, Eli all were major contributors for a while regarding how the car worked, battery issues, installing a lifepo4 battery and such.

Then the grid charger seemed to be the miracle fix for a used insight or hch. Not another grid charger thread was something I frequently mumbled to myself.

Well, it seems now days all the posts are about problems. Those who bought a seemingly ok car gets the ima light later on, maybe a cel after 500 miles and other issues not related to grounding. Kaity and Balto are prime examples.

The value of the gen 2 is in the toilet, so it would seem the gen 1 would follow as its 10 years older and less popular.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts