Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side rear door doesn't close flush to the car, and seems loose when closed. People comment they can feel the wind blowing in when sitting in that back seat.

When locked you can't open the door, but you can see a visible gap. Not much, but maybe 1/8" around the handle area and top area.

Is there a way to adjust the door to make it close properly? the other side closes with a good thud and seems snug. This side closes without the thud noise and leaves the gap. Like it's stuck partially open. But seems to line up from what I can see and nothing stuck in the closing area.

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
Has the car been hit in that area that you know of?

Did you recently acquire the car?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was in an accident on that side, I knew about it when I bought it. But the gap wasn't there before... or it may have been not noticeable.

Weird that it seems to have moved, like the gap has gotten bigger. Should I be concerned about the car's structural integrity?

Should I just try to bend it back with the window down? It's like it doesn't close properly. Hangs slightly open. I thought maybe the door strike. But looks to line up ok, but I'd guess even if off a little would make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
I wouldn't be much concerned about the safety aspect. I doubt it is a chassis integrity issue.

If it has been repaired, maybe the latch loop on the door frame is loose. On many cars, the position of that loop is adjustable. Sometimes held in place with 2-4 large Phillips head screws. If you have the screws, find a big screwdriver and loosen them. Move the latch loop inward.

I admit I'm not all that familiar with the Gen 2 so I may well be wrong, but it is worth a quick look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea, thanks. I'll take a look at soon as the weather gets better.... too much ice, rain, and snow over the next few days!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was the problem, and now it's fixed! Thanks!

Latch loop was just a bit loose. Moving and tightening makes the door back to normal again. I think because the latch loop was slightly loose, when the door was closed it pulled out a bit and had a gap. Now it's tight and properly aligned.

Great fix.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You might want to put locktite on the threads if it happens again. Once had a Honda Odyssey that they forgot to use locktite on the rear hatch loop and it would loosen pretty regularly until I used some.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind in case it loosens up again. May even just add it in the warmer weather, because it must have become loose over time, hasn't always been like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
lexxxel
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing