Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned the insight for about a year now.

37 fuel ups later, about 52 MPG lifetime since mile 2. I live in New England, notice the trend during the winter. Lost about 5 to 10 MPG, not bad. About 17,600 miles represented on the graph.

Run stock with a slight tire pressure increase to 40 PSI during non winter months.

·
Registered
382 Posts
J, with that, you pretty much confirmed you are close to my clone driver :D

My "close to one year data" : I purchased the car late April, but started to collect data only in July. Let's say I had no idea about the sickness I was getting into when I bought the car. I found IC.net after my purchase.... :D

So :
- 30 fuel up, 54.3 lmpg but started around mile 5,000. I’m convinced the car is capable of 60-62mpg per tank in its stock version. I’m getting closer and closer to it with the current weather and temperature rising. My desire would be to find which mod will crank it up over 70mpg.
- The car is about 20,000 miles right now

graph.JPG

I had only one problem with it : little after purchase, the car repeatedly stalled at idle. Dealer unplugged and re-plugged the spark plug coils, and passed a scan, couldn't find any code or problem report. Conclusion was probably that the coils were not properly inserted on initial built (not "clipped") and one had detached, therefore couldn't create the ignition. Since then, no problem at all.

The car has shown very reliable. The only squeaks were this winter, in very cold temperature, I had some from the roof which I would attribute to a probably cheap spacer/foam material between the roof interior and the class A that didn't deal well with the material deformation due to temperature.

After a year, I’m still satisfied with the car. It fulfill the reason why I had bought it for, which is fuel economy instead of power. I would say it has changed my driving habits a lot, and brought a different “fun to drive” experience. I use to look for power, speed, acceleration, now I mostly care about mpgs. I find it fun to pause and think about this one year journey and almost laugh at myself (in a good way) for this change.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Brian-

Mine are hand calculated. Miles per tank / gallons of gas after one click to full. Its always fun to compare what the MID says versus actual.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

After a year, I’m still satisfied with the car. It fulfill the reason why I had bought it for, which is fuel economy instead of power. I would say it has changed my driving habits a lot, and brought a different “fun to drive” experience. I use to look for power, speed, acceleration, now I mostly care about mpgs. I find it fun to pause and think about this one year journey and almost laugh at myself (in a good way) for this change.
I agree on all points. Eco fun maybe not the same as stomping on it driving fun, but there is enjoyment in it.

And savings too...

Spent a total of $897.20 (339 gallons) on gas over the course of 17675 miles.

I saved $897.20 over a car with 26 MPG (Fuel Efficient)
I saved $1462.70 over a car with 20 MPG (Standard)
I saved $2306.70 over a car with 15 MPG (SUV)

Plus the actual oil usage savings as well.

I haven't had any problems with mine (with the plugs), just a standard service check up. My only real complaint is the plastic usage on the radio display and instrument panel. If you breath on it funny it scratches. I want to see a higher quality material there. However, everything else, no issues. Been great as a daily driver.

Looking forward to breaking 600 miles on a tank and 60 MPG this year. Weather is approaching that should make that possible. Also, maybe Microchip will give us an update soon to get the MIMA2 wagon moving again.

70 MPG will be tough unless driving at 30-40 Miles Per Hour. Not realistic on the highway. More batteries or manual control will be needed (or both).

I've looked at the plug in option a bit, but would definitely need manual control because the IMA is in the way.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good job!

I think you've done an admirable job with the I2.

I'm at 1 year on May 15th. I already have 25k+ miles! :D

My lifetime avg is ~49.8 mpg so far on fuelly.

I'm already thinking of getting rid of the Insight for a CRZ though. It's a waste of money, but you only live once right?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
My car came with a free tank of gas, should I factor that into my fe? I mean, I got almost a thousand miles on 9 gallons of gas before the low gas light came on. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts