Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We may have to submit a bug ticket to XenForo about this. That's the forum software company. IDK why they didn't just use something older and proven like phpBB. Everyone ****s on phpBB boards but they work and they've been updated consistently over the decades. There're also other boards like simple machines.

·
Administrator
testing topical info
681 Posts
That's kind of what I was thinking.
Only edits made within 24 hrs is possible.

This would suck for any posts like I used to do for InsightFest where I am trying to update a roster, or other announcement posts where info needs to get updated as plans change

So if the intent is to allow 10 edits within 7 days, someone in admin needs go back and audit the system to confirm it is properly tacking.
This is exactly as we're attempting to do. there are inconsistencies and errors in the edit tracking that are currently being resolved.

We may have to submit a bug ticket to XenForo about this. That's the forum software company. IDK why they didn't just use something older and proven like phpBB. Everyone ****s on phpBB boards but they work and they've been updated consistently over the decades. There're also other boards like simple machines.
We actually run our own custom version of xenForo on the site, meaning all features are built, developed, and fixed in house.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Grrr. Have a car that is sold.

I am unable to go back and note that in the first post. So people will need to read through and scroll through all the posts on the thread before they read the part where I updated and say it I so

1. That is going to annoy some folks.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
The old forum software allowed editing forever (or nearly so), while it's clearly a feature users like and want - so why isn't the new software able to match the old in this regard? It seems like a step backwards...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It's probably not a situation where it can't. It's more likely a protection so that the site does not list content.

If editing is unlimited forever, if someone gets upset, they could wipe out years worth of content by editing all their posts.

The limited editing outs the brakes in such editing.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
^ hmm, if that's what they want to do, personally, I think they should be able to do it... They created it, so technically they hold the copyright and thus have the right to do as they please with it...

·
Registered
648 Posts
^ hmm, if that's what they want to do, personally, I think they should be able to do it... They created it, so technically they hold the copyright and thus have the right to do as they please with it...
If you have more than say X posts you should be able to edit forever as a courtesy to certain types of post content.

or if not possible allow the thread starter to edit their first postin the thread only.

this seems like asolution in search of a problem

·
Administrator
testing topical info
681 Posts
These ideas are great and editing can be built out in the future; however if we can't resolve the bug here, it will still affect any change we make beyond it. We are building towards a resolution, and I want to thank you for your patience as we sort this issue out.

-Gerrit

21 - 29 of 29 Posts