Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You tell me.

It could be due to the highter gas prices but am I the only one here who's been getting a lot of questions these days about my little Insight, quetions which quickly lead to MPG?

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet" :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I ALWAYS get questions about my insight.

Dating all the way back to 2001.

Mainly because of the "80MPG" sticker stuck on my rear window. That tends to catch people's eyes. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Where I live (bible belt middle america) I am looked upon as an alien.

"You gotta plug it in"?

:lol:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I get that question a lot too. I just explain to them that the battery charges off the engine. ("For convenience.")

No need to confuse the redneck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm from the Detroit Michigan Area and I feel I"m looked upon as a leper. People around here are not going to even slow down to 55mph until they can't afford to buy a $4.00 cup of coffee anymore, since they will need that 4 dollars for another 1/2 gallon of gas. Honestly, people just don't give a darn around here at all. Hummers, bigger the truck the bigger the peron, SUV's, all lead footing it like there is no tommorrow. About the only thing people say to me is, "how fast can you pedal that thing?"

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not an Insight owner just yet... still looking.

I live in Dallas and the streets are flooded with large SUVs that are speeding and talking on the phone... its everywhere! My wife is one of them but thats another story. I have been talking to friends and coworkers telling them I am going to get an insight and they think I am crazy.

The only thing I am really worried about with buying an Insight is that one of these crazy SUV driving cell phone using speeding idiots will run into me. Ah well... no guts no glory. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
The increase in questions about the car coincides with the increase in gas prices. It happens EVERY time the prices go up..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll never forget the reaction I got when I stopped in the "middle of nowhere rural Southern Georgia" on a wild goose chase for Georgia pecans I saw advertised on a wooden sign. (I was driving from Indiana to Florida and decided to take a detour.) I got lost and stopped for directions at an "off the beaten path" gas station that had old dial gas pumps from the 1960s or early 1970. (I was so far out that my GPS was no longer picking up a signal.) Three local men in overalls pulled into the station behind me. All 3 got out of the cab of their pickup truck and stared at my Insight in what in no exaggeration was a look of utter confusion and misbelief. One of them finally asked me, with a completely bewildered and serious expression on his face, "What is that? Some kind of fancy space ship or somethin'?" His face looked something like this :shock: . The other two looked like this :? :?

And not to leave you hanging on this story...I never did find the pecan farm. :cry:. But I did find the best made-from-scratch full Southern cooking buffet I have ever had. Even the pies were home made! It sure was nice to drive from Indianapolis to just shy of the Florida border in a packed car (which included 2 dogs) on one tank of gas.

·
Registered
129 Posts
:oops: I've been meaning to look into that warranty!

I guess the better way to say it is that the country roads weren't listed on my GPS. Just had a blank screen :!:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Try to get an updated map from your GPS manufacturer. It might also be that you have to load in supplimentary maps of the areas you are travelling through. Perhaps this would help.

·
Registered
473 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
Mainly because of the "80MPG" sticker stuck on my rear window. That tends to catch people's eyes. :D
I got a couple of those stickers too, except I bought the one that says 60+ MPG. They were bigger than I expected so I choose not to put them in the side windows, I put one to the left of my rear license plate.

I've noticed more interest and gotten more questions since the sticker went on too.

Yesterday, while driving down the freeway, a late model Mercedes pulled up along side me and the passenger started motioning me to lower my window. When I did, the passenger yelled, "how much for one of those cars?" :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
i've gotten quite a few people interested in the cars by telling them the price and the mpg.. of course i think its related to the gas prices. in chicago now its almost 3.25 a gallon :( i make fun of people at work in their big trucks and suv's having to go to the gas station every other week to fill up 50+ dollars of gas

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum Leni.

I have had people comment that they thought it was a "new" car model or an EV1, or ask me what model of Porche it was. :shock: Ah......its not new, they scrapped the EV1, it's a Honda, and no they don't make it anymore. :cry:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yup, over $3. here in Detroit now too. Perhaps now, I won't here as many jokes about my "peddle car".

·
Registered
50 Posts
trunkout said:
Where I live (bible belt middle america) I am looked upon as an alien.

"You gotta plug it in"?

It is not just the bible belt. :) I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and the last time I filled up I got word for word "You gotta plug it in?" from someone in a raised 4x4. The last few times I filled up I have had to wait in line because the gas station lines are so long. I notice I get more looks when more people are angry about waiting in line to fill up their tanks.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cainsight said:
... I get more looks when more people are angry about waiting in line to fill up their tanks.
They chose to "follow the leader" and now they're paying for it - at the gas pump and out the nose.

As for you and me, there's no doubt here but that I/we and the other Insight owners (Prius owners as well) made the right choice.

As for the anger you spoke of. I've seen it to. Americans, rightfully or wrongly, have a long history of slowly building anger regarding a given incident or series of these and I doubt that it'll be any different with these gas prices and you don't want to be around when they explode.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
323 Posts
i wasn't and was going to reply that, but in the past few days i have had an increase in questions! lol. The prices are climbing back up there.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Can't wait till gas gets to 5 and 6 a gallon.

"you wanna trade for muh truck?"

:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts