Honda Insight Forum banner

Ooops... I got banned for saying I get 90 mpg!

11647 Views 116 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Rick Reece
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ult ... 3;t=000677

My handle is "farfel" (Seinfeld reference). I read the post, and figured this would be a great opportunity to educate these car folks about hybrids. Their response:

- First they called my 90 mpg claim "bs"...
- then they pulled my membership.

HA! Lesson learned:
- Be careful what you say to non-hybrid folks.
- They'd rather censor you than learn.
:lol:

EDIT: I humbly request all who read this go to that website, and tell them how WRONG they are.... i.e. tell them your MPG. Thanks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 117 Posts

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
xcel said:

___We shall see what they add following?

I would not have added that stuff about a >10,000 MPG world record. You'll confuse the issue (which is hybrid cars & whether they are worth buying).

(shrug)

Let me know when they ban ya. :lol:

G

·
Hi ElectricTroy:

___Someone in the thread added that the world record was 5,600 or so miles/gallon. That information was way out of date so I fixed it ;)

___Don’t worry, they won’t ban me for that post …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:8709reeu][email protected][/email:8709reeu]

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

· Registered
362 Posts
I love the part about hybrids not being worth your while due to the expensive battery. We've done 60k+ miles at 65 mpg which comes in about 1k gallons over 4 years. With gas around $2/gal, that's a lot of money saved. Even in our other cars that get over 30 mpg, that's over twice as much money. We figure that at 60k miles, we broke even with the battery. Now, gas is basically half price.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
james wrote:

>> I did think of signing up for that forum just >> to tell them so myself, but their signup form >> looks more like a request for a security
>> clearance. Sheesh, birth dates, photo ids,
>> all sorts of addresses that I don't have...

> Which is all optional...

Well, _something_ that I didn't fill in wasn't optional. I filled in what seemed reasonable the first time, it came back saying "please fill in all required info". Stuck in some dummy stuff, it did the same again...

· Registered
212 Posts
I for one DO NOT BELIEVE the claims of 92 LIFETIME mpg I have had my Insight for almost 4 years, 120,000 KM, Service it like a mad man, have NO prroblems with recalls

BTW Picture proves nothing, I can reset my LMPG reader, drive to the top of a hill, and produce a LMPG Reading of 150 LMPG over 120,000kms

Either these people have a Faulty computer or they are being decieving, too bad the site creater dont crack down on this

· Premium Member
766 Posts
Getshocked, I have no reason to disbelieve the remarkable mpg performance of Rick Reece and Wayne. You could learn a lot from them both.

· Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,414 Posts
I met and conferred with Rick Reese on one of my yearly trips to the East coast.
I've seen the way he drives and the terrain he has to drive in. HE IS A REAL EXPERT at getting exceptional mileage.
I am one of the "hot roders" of the "INSIGHTERS" and I can still get exceptional mileage if I want to. Mostly I drive the LITTLE RED ROCKET like a normal car and am proud of what it can achieve, both in mileage and performance. Sometimes I'll try for mileage and my best so far is over 100 mpg for over 100 miles, so "IT CAN BE DONE".
I have never reset the LMPG on my car, and I don't think Rick or "Excel" has either.
The biggest killer of mileage is "driver and terrain".
I also agree that there are probably some people on this site who don't own an Insight and just post items to have something to do. (You have to read between the lines sometimes)................My opinion.

G

·
Hi Getshocked.ca:

___How many pics do you want of 95 - 96 mile segments with between 100 and 117 mpg showing? I have a ton of them if you would like as I only missed 100 mpg 8 times in 4 months this summer. Hypermileage has nothing to do with your maintenance as I don’t have recals and she gets 2.5 quarts of new Mobil1 0W-20 every 7,500 as well. It is your driving style, technique, setup, traffic and road conditions, and mostly patience. If you don’t have patience, you will receive whatever you are receiving which sounds pretty low by your tone.

___Yes, you can reset your lmpg and guess how long it will take to change from one readout to another on my Insight? ~ 2 - 3,000 miles. How about yours? Anyone with a recently reset lmpg readout will change in 20 or so miles and you know darn well this to be a fact.

___With that, I receive ~ 38 mpg on this same route in my Ranger XLT in 40 degree temps as of late. The Acura MDX receives low 30’s, and the Corolla LE w/ Auto receives an average of ~ 46 mpg.

___Finally, crack down on what? Do you want the dash pic of 109.0 mpg over 1,523.9 miles from June of this year with my special run? How about a dash pic of 106.2 mpg over 1,456.4 miles from late September of this year back and forth to work? Would you like a pic of the 106.1 mpg I received over the last 3 miles on the way home from the gas station last night? I can run out and take that one as well if you would like but its kind of a waste as I have hundreds of pics and 106 over that short of distance isn’t worth the time to take the pic and upload it to someone’s web server.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2723xwri][email protected][/email:2723xwri]

G

·
Hi Getshocked.ca:

___Since you seem to have a lot of talk and not much walk, let’s make this interesting. You put up $9,500 and I will place my Insight’s title on the line with a small wager that I can receive 105 mpg in 70 degree temps and non-RFG fuel over a round trip of 190 miles or so. I will drive my normal home to work and back again round trip and the segment meter will be reset before I start her up from dead cold as I always do. This route takes me from my drive, behind Gurnee Mills Mall, out onto Route 132 to Interstate I-94 (total of ~ 2 miles). From there, I continue on to I-294 and onto I-55 near Hinsdale, IL. I take I-55 all the way out to Braidwood, IL. with an ~ 3 mile through town to get to my place of work. The same route back for a round trip of ~ 191 miles … How about a gimme of 101 mpg over 1000 miles? I did 105 + all summer back and forth to work so it should be pretty easy to do again. The ball is now in your court. We won’t see 60 - 70 degree temperatures in Chicago for at least another 5 months but I am willing to wait if the cash is escrowed. I will keep my Insight until at least June 1st of 05 or thereabouts at which time it will be time for me to collect if you are willing to place your money where your keyboard is?

___My 117.2 came with a nice 10 - 15 mile tailwind so those are only twice a summer records here near Chicago. My more normal 102 - 110 round trip is much more doable. Taking video’s … Place your money where your ego is and you can take all the video’s you want.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2fhu125z][email protected][/email:2fhu125z]

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Hi Wayne, I use you mileage claims as my upper end refference. Tonight coming back late from doing some computer work in Kingston I managed 89.7 miles per U.S. Gallon on a 48 mile trip. It's up hill and I was driving with the lights on. The route includes many hills, curves, villages, and a 5 mile stretch of gravel road. It's not exactly the summer either, :wink: but the radiator cardboard seems to work well. 0W30 synthetic too!

G

·
Hi B1shmu63:

___90 mpg in the temperatures you must be driving in? God bless both you and your little beauty :)

___As an add-on for Getshocked.ca, I have every gas receipt I have ever filled the little beauty up with which will exactly match the tank data I post into Greenhybrid’s Real World Hybrid Mileage Database to the decimal. There sure are a lot of ways to fake this kind of stuff … Unless of course you have the pics, fuel receipts, odometer reading pics from initial purchase and today’s … You know, that kind of stuff ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2e3xrkcv][email protected][/email:2e3xrkcv]

· Registered
618 Posts
Wow, THis thread has been active.

Steve,

It seams that anyone doubting high mpg capability could easily drive to meet someone that can and does achieve high mpg on a regular basis. My lifetime is at 90.2 mpg with 110K miles driven. My current tank is 94.2 mpg with 730 miles driven and I still have a 1/3 tank of gas. I have a gas log with and keep a spreadsheet of the gas used versus the mpg display. They are rarely more than 2 mpg different on a individual tank and over the 100+ tanks of gas the difference is less than .2 mpg (The smallest resolution of the FCD). I commute weekly between Washington DC and Greenville SC and would be glad to meet any insight driver. A few years ago I met Mark in Greensboro NC for a mpg comparison. I believe his lmpg was in the 70's. We drove a 50 mile circuit switching cars at the halfway point. At the end his had the higher mpg but both cars were over 100 mpg. I do not take pictures as often as Wayne but I have plenty over the years if you want to PM me with your email address. Have fun, RIck

· Premium Member
787 Posts
Hello everyone, about some internal battling here.

There are two pints I would like to make here:

1) High LMPG is not impossible, some very fine people are able to do it. We have the examples here above. All our members are correct persons, no need to fight or something similar.
Now, did Troy do it (90 LMPG), I am sure he did not. He does not even own an Insight for the moment. He writes about virtual stuff he thinks of.

2) A bit of history about Troy which has been rather nice (I only had to remove one line in a thread where he called someone a 'dick') compared to his past self.

Anyone who does a Google search with "Troy Heagy Troll" will find lots of stuff.

Sadly, most forum owners have deleted his bad input (he is well known for name calling). I do not agree with persons who delete his messages since he can come back and aunt other sites without a trace of what he has done.

Here are examples in an EV list:
http://solstice.crest.org/discussion/ev ... 01234.html

In another EV group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/force_ev/message/537

And this one which says, he tried to destroy an egroup:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/force_ev/message/565
Excerpt:"Beware, Troy Heagy the Internet Troll will use every method to disrupt EV groups. Even to the point of having a group removed."

And he uses different IDs to disguise himself:
http://www.mailarchive.ca/lists/rec.art ... /0248.html
Excerpt: "He might be able to forge an ID but he can't disguise his writing style"
That is very true!

And this:
http://www.crest.net/discussion/ev/200204/msg01359.html

This guy has single handily destroyed the Yahoo Egroup "Honda-Insight" (but all traces are gone now) and he is the reason the Egroup "Honda-Hybrid" was created. To have some moderation and prevent Troy to disrupt the group (Messages in large quantities, name calling, trolling,...). He is trying to disrupt this group and has been able to.

He was able to disrupt the Oil group and this group. People are one against the other here but really should not be. He started this with his lies, and lets it run by itself to go down. He is THE expert on the Internet for such things.

Please be wise to his game

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Most of those posts are 4-5 years old. Posts from an immature person in his 20's.

I'm a completely different person now (having been laid-off for a year & nearly bankrupt). I'm in my 30's & approach things more maturely & calmly than I did before.

Forget the past, and focus on the *present*, because people DO change & learn from their mistakes.

As for this group, I have not done anything except express my opinion.
As for Bob's oil site, search "farfel" and find my post that made me worthy of banning.
And as for my Insight, I sold it ~9 months ago to pay my bills, and plan to reclaim Insight #2 in January.

Thanks for listening,
Troy

· Premium Member
787 Posts
2002 is not 4 or 5 years old, you are 2 years older now. I agree that you lost your job, because of all the trolloing while on your job and your job's net admin had proof in the time spent on the Internet
BUT why do I still find stuff (by just adding "2004" to the search) from April 2004 like in this:

"Dunno what prank you think you're up to with this one, Cap,
> but it is my painful duty to break it to you that just about every old
> regular in this ng already figured out a while ago that you were the
> real person behind both the Dan Tropea and the Troy Heagy sockpuppets.
And don't forget the Tim Bruening one... "

and

"Considering your first hateful comment in the thread" writing about something you wrote

The one thing that helps you is the fact that everyone deletes your actions so there are less proof left, but you still leave plenty.

The proof is in the actions. Why the name calling I had to remove, why ask other persons to disrupt an other group, why have you wrote that you had a 90 MPG average, You knew it was possible and you have used it like if it was you who did it.

I ask you to think of the greater benefit of all. Before sending messages to this forum, ask yourself if it can make harm to someone else and if so, do not send it.

Like I am doing right now, I hope it will help others to prevent going into your games and I hope it could help you to act like you say you have changed.

ADDITION:
=======
I tried to find the Yahoo Honda-Insight messages 18908 to 18910 where Troy said he would leave the group. I find that they have been deleted. Only the other members's replies are left. There was no moderator for this site so ONLY Troy could have deleted his messages. So it is Troy that deletes his evidence of wrong doing.

· Registered
599 Posts
My observations:

- This morning I got 78 mpg cruising at about 60 mph in Dallas, much of it in the high 80's before leaving the freeway on the final streach.

- 90 mpg is unfortunately a good point to argue on because it can be done, but it's at the edge of what's possible. In many places, traffic makes it difficult to drive for extreme mpgs.

- I moderate for a pet forum and just don't understand the urge some people have to disrupt. I'm just saying in general some people love to create strife for fun. To whomever it applies - please get a life.

- If (the shoe fits) someone is dishonestly claiming 90 mpg, that's worse in my books than the 9 mpg monster truck driver. Claiming to be an extreme mpg hybrid driver fraudlently defames the rest of us.

- Time will tell who is helpful and who is trolling

- That's all I have to say

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Good grief. I claimed 90 MPG because when I sold my Insight it had a LMPG of 91.2 MPG. I lived in Utah where the air is thin, the ground is flat, and 100+ MPG was routine.

Forgiveness.

Please, please, please try to apply that word to me. I've grown tired of seeing 4 year old posts drug up. I'm not that person anymore.

(And no, I'm not Dan Tropea or Stardork... just because someone claims Troy = Dan = Stardork does not make it true.)

· Premium Member
787 Posts
No but since it is exaclty what you do, get a few IDs, there is absolutly No reason not to beleive them. An Amazone review of back then listed you from "Troy Heagy (Forest Hill MD)" not from Utah

You have experience in this, more than most to my knowledge, you know about the IP adresses from which you write. You know that you can find a proxy to appear under an other IP.

The IP adress was exactly what had given you away in the other groups: you had different IDs (alias), you replied to yourself under an other ID to create a conflict and let people add to it. But someone found out that you had the same IP under the different names and got banned.

There is no reason to beleive what you write. I will not persue this further. I will not play here.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.