Honda Insight Forum banner

Ooops... I got banned for saying I get 90 mpg!

11641 Views 116 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Rick Reece
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ult ... 3;t=000677

My handle is "farfel" (Seinfeld reference). I read the post, and figured this would be a great opportunity to educate these car folks about hybrids. Their response:

- First they called my 90 mpg claim "bs"...
- then they pulled my membership.

HA! Lesson learned:
- Be careful what you say to non-hybrid folks.
- They'd rather censor you than learn.
:lol:

EDIT: I humbly request all who read this go to that website, and tell them how WRONG they are.... i.e. tell them your MPG. Thanks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
A few things:

On movies vs pictures: I've got a brand new HCH and my first tank was quite good, so good that there were non-believers. I took a picture of the dash and that is gonna need to be good enough. I could "photoshop" a fake pretty easy actually but at some point you just gotta have faith. Even a video could be edited.

I took long trip in my Vette and got 33mpg displayed going East and only 28 or so displayed going West. The wind tends to blow West to East so any one way trip could easily have higher than normal readings.

If someone is claiming 117 as a record and is only claiming 110 every once in a while asking for a tank over 110 is not reasonable this time of year. If you know anything about hypermileing you know those record tanks only happen in the summer.

On trolling. I work in a rough enviroment with all men who talk filthy all the time. In my first dealing with a moderated board I got in a lot of trouble and got suspended. I was used to unmoderated boards and used to the way we all talk and did not understand how rude I was being. I've mended my ways and never get in trouble anymore. This is true of my driveing as well. When I was speeding I got tickets (duh). Now I drive for mileage so I don't get tickets anymore. I say so long as Troy is not causing trouble here we give him a chance. Do as you wish if he does cause trouble.

G

·
Hi All:

___I missed the last 36 + hours or so as I had to go to work :(

___Getshocked.ca, you can purchase an airline ticket and I will pick you up from O’Hare. Even with our current 32 degree temps and RFG winter blend, I can still hit 85 - 90 on a round tripper with light winds from any direction. If it’s above 45, I can achieve 90 - 95. If its 65 +, 100 mpg isn’t particularly a problem even with this lousy winter blend fuel. Give me a 70 degree day with a nice tailwind and that 108.1 mpg segment posted (that was on 10/29/2004 to be exact) isn’t a particular problem on this garbage EPA mandated swill we are forced to use here in Chicago over the next 5 months. Maybe you were one of those that purchased your Insight off E-Bay with an lmpg in the mid 40’s to high 50’s? If so, do you really expect to achieve 90 - 110 in it even after modding it given the flogging it was subjected too?

___If you want to see real time pics, take a look at the tens of pics in the Attempt thread over at Greenhybrid I already linked. Blow them up to your hearts content. More importantly, look at the Instantaneous readout in each and every pic. To achieve 109 mpg over 1523 miles, I was usually driving her in the in the 110 - 130 range with the occasional climb resulting in the low 80’s - 90’s. The downhill’s of course pegged the instantaneous as always.

___Finally, I already have posted enough pics and discussed my Insight’s capabilities. The problem lye’s on your end, not mine. First it was my lmpg being too high. Your disbelief of this seems to have subsided now with the tens of > 100 + mpg pics I have shown you of my little beauty’s gauge cluster. Now its 117 + in an un-modded Insight? You already know my mods and the 20 seconds it takes to hook them up. You also know my 117 mpg segment is my personal best so no, I don’t receive that every day but I did twice in a summer. With that, I do receive > 100 mpg on each and every segment throughout the summer months (all but 8 anyway :() and thus the excellent lmpg. Your disbelief will continue to persist until you spend 10 minutes setting up your car and spend about a month actually learning to drive it for fuel economy properly. That is if yours isn’t one of the E-Bay Insight’s that have had the life forever drained from them from past abuse. If you are unwilling to do these simple tasks, then you will forever be envious of the capabilities I have achieved. Both James and Tim have achieved this kind of mileage when they wanted too. Billy, Rick, and Chisight strive for this kind of mileage most of the time and their resultant lmpg’s show. I just happen to be the type that wants to achieve high fuel economy all of the time :D

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3vkxdrgx][email protected][/email:3vkxdrgx]

· Registered
1,526 Posts
"Maybe you were one of those that purchased your Insight off E-Bay with an lmpg in the mid 40’s to high 50’s? If so, do you really expect to achieve 90 - 110 in it even after modding it given the flogging it was subjected too?"

Err... Well, yes. Mine was purchased off EBay, and did have an LMPG about 50 with about 50K miles on it. With my driving style, and living in the mountains, I still get in the mid-70s, so I don't see why someone in flat country with mostly freeway commutes shouldn't reasonably expect an average at least in the 80s.

G

·
Hi James:

___You got damn lucky … Look over Sippin’s? high 40ish E-Bay or otherwise Insight purchase and its problems right off the bat. I believe there is another recent forum member/Insight purchaser from the south with a low 50’ish lmpg and it is having problems already. Look at most E-Bay auction Insight’s. Most have high 40 - mid 50ish lmpg’s and you don’t arrive at that low an lmpg unless it was either abused or it was driven with no regard to a future owner let alone the guy that is actually selling it. I don’t know how you could obtain less then 60 in one given 61 mpg was my lowest segment ever in a snowstorm with a 15 + mph headwind when driven as gently as one should!

___In my case, the Insight was a far Northern States purchase (Sioux Falls, South Dakota) w/ an lmpg of 80 mpg, Honda certification, clean CarFax, and all Honda maintenance records. Do you even have to worry how it was treated or what it was capable of afterwards given the cooler location, high lmpg, and the fact that the local Honda dealership was willing to certify it for ~ $750 - $850 over and above what they gave the former owner in trade in? At least that is what it appears to cost a dealership to CPO a Honda according to the RWTIV Edmunds thread. I also spoke with the former owner about its history and treatment … Beats the hell out of the E-bay rip offs.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1t3y2j1q][email protected][/email:1t3y2j1q]

· Registered
618 Posts
Wayne,
I actually purchased my insight off e-bay. Mine was new but had a lmpg of 38.4 with 298 miles driven. Apparently either every test driver wanted to see how well it could accelerate in the mountains or it spent a lot of time idling at the dealership. I achieved a 72.6 mpg value for my first tank of gas. I am sure there are lemons on e-bay but there are probably plenty of good insights available as well. I am not convinced that a low lmpg is necessarily a sure sign of future problems. Several of the members here drive their car toward its max capabilities and havn't reported problems. In fact some argue that the engine needs to be reved up every so often to keep the carbon from building up. Given the choice of two for sale with the lmpg being the only difference I would take the higher lmpg car however. Have fun, RIck

G

·
Hi Rick:

___It could have a 10 lmpg if it only had 238 miles on it as it is still new! It’s the 15,000 miles on up ones with 40 and 50 lmpg’s that are for whatever reason problematic in many cases. If you knew now what you didn’t know when you first purchased your Insight about using Assist in the hills, would you treat it differently? Your tank over tanks has improved tremendously and I can bet it has to do with treading on that accelerator far more gently now then way back just after your initial purchase? New Insight’s don’t recal. Old Insight’s that are treated as gently as possible (Chisight’s, Billy’s, mine) don’t have recals. These 40 and 50 lmpg wonders do for many. I wonder why?

___Do you remember that one knucklehead that posted the mpeg/avi of his 5-speed having a recal? He drove it up some local hill or mountain in 5th gear and floored it with full assist for something like 45 - 60 seconds. After a short period, a recal appeared. What was this dolt thinking an Insight treated like that day after day was going to do after a few hundred of these torture tests? Pure abuse is about all I can add :(

___I love the Ebay Insight auctions from dealerships with auto auction purchased Insight’s. It appears, it looks, it runs like … Hearing the horror stories of what Rick sees on the auction circuit where 1 in 10 might be worth the price of listing makes me wonder why they hit E-Bay after not to long as well?

___As for Carbon build up; look at who is having EGR issues. The Hypermiler’s that I know aren’t. Those with less then stellar lmpg’s … well, look at the list is about all that needs to be added. A high lmpg means it was driven far more gently then a low lmpg one and with that, you are correct in regards as to which one has been treated far easier. That is if its maintenance is up to date etc. At least there is a way for all to see what our Insight’s are capable of vs. any other car available on the road today … I think the new AH has an lmpg although I haven’t seen the dash in detail and the 05 Accord brochure w/ the AH particulars and what pics are shown do not include a detailed pic of the dash unfortunately :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3w0tti95][email protected][/email:3w0tti95]

· Premium Member
766 Posts
I can consistently see 45-50mpg in my 5spd doing small-town driving (with stop signs, speed bumps, and lights) in the rain with the defrost and A/C on, and sub-40F temperatures in the AM (no idle stop). I don't think I'm being particularly brutal to the car in those conditions - if it's warm and/or dry I can see 60+ mpg on the same drives. So the lmpg indicator alone is not a perfect indicator of driver behavior.

My EGR valve borked on me after 60k miles with an lmpg around 75.

G

·
Hi Tim:

___If you have a 75 lmpg, you aren’t consistently seeing anything in the 40 - 45 mpg range. Especially knowing you yourself have talked of receiving the low 90’s in and around town.

___Why would someone think an lmpg of 40 - 50 be anything but driven less then stellar vs. a 70 + lmpg one? Would you purchase a used Insight with a 40ish lmpg or one with a 70 + lmpg. It is a direct implication as to how it was driven no matter where it was driven. Highway vs. city alone is a great indication of longevity for any car and 40 - 50 lmpg’s in an Insight rated for 60 + even in an all city environment is the same.

___As for an EGR carbon build up, you are the first > 70 lmpg Insighter that has had one that I know of. Look at the herky jerky thread for evidence of what lmpg’s are having this problem.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:dfwybdba][email protected][/email:dfwybdba]

· Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Getshocked.ca said:
So Far all im hearing is alot of talk, So unless You have the meins to perform this task, Messaging about how its an inconvienence is nothing but an EXCUSE and THREAD CRAP

I think I just discovered what the verb "trolling" means.

· Premium Member
595 Posts
First - it is absolutely true that a new car that has been test driven a bit is more than likely to have very low mpg. What do you do when you test drive? You see how the car accelerates! How can it merge on the freeway you ask? Is it so slow it won't work! This is even more true with the Insight which many fear will be slow BECAUSE it is a spooky hybrid. The dealer often doesn't know much about how to drive it anyway. It's small cold trips mostly, no dealer says, 'Hey, let's go take a long cruise on a highway and get 100 mpg.' Maybe they say, this gets good mileage, let's get back to the dealership and close the deal!

Tim - are you using any of the easy winter mods for that 40 degree driving? Those will get you back into idlestop if you punch off the defrost when stopped. Of course, you may not want to...

· Registered
1,526 Posts
"___If you have a 75 lmpg, you aren’t consistently seeing anything in the 40 - 45 mpg range."

I disagree, 'cause that's what I usually get driving around city streets - something I very seldom do, which is why I have a fairly high average.

"...5-speed having a recal? He drove it up some local hill or mountain in 5th gear..."

If by "recal" you mean simply draining the battery, I go up the mountain in 3rd, but otherwise do the same a couple of times a week.

"Look at most E-Bay auction Insight’s."

But where else do you have a realistic chance of finding one? When I decided to replace the CRX some 18 months ago, I checked with the two local dealers. At one, the salespeople had apparently never heard of it, the other had no idea when or if they could get one. Searching the various other on-line listings turned up a couple: one, a CVT, had been sold a couple of months before, the other was in North Dakota.

I don't think your odds of getting a bad deal are any worse from EBay that from picking a random dealer.

· Registered
382 Posts
james said:
"___If you have a 75 lmpg, you aren’t consistently seeing anything in the 40 - 45 mpg range."

I disagree, 'cause that's what I usually get driving around city streets - something I very seldom do, which is why I have a fairly high average.
Just a minor nitpick, but if you get usually get 40-45 mpg performing an action that you perform "very seldom," one might be justified in saying that you aren't "consistently" getting 40-45 mpg. ;)

G

·
Hi James:
___I drive a 2 mile course through the sub, through the back of a mall, onto a major thoroughfare before I reach the Interstate and have never seen less then a 54 mpg readout in the coldest of temperatures. The 2 miles from the parking lot at work to the Interstate is a bit less torturous and the lowest I have seen is 62 mpg to date. Sorry to say that anyone receiving 40 - 45 mpg in an urban environment is driving without their head in the game or they just don’t care. In the summer, I usually hit the high 80’s to mid 90’s around town so there is no excuse other then someone might not care. I am glad I passed on the “I don’t care” Insight’s available to me back then.

If by "recal" you mean simply draining the battery, I go up the mountain in 3rd, but otherwise do the same a couple of times a week.
___Maybe you need to read up on what a recal is because what the idiot posted was a dropout of the SoC, not a gradual drop of the SoC which sounds exactly like what some here are dealing with in older Insight’s. This is not what you must see on a daily basis as a draining of the pack. Then again, driving up mountains is about the worst thing I could imagine other then doing the same while in 5th gear …

But where else do you have a realistic chance of finding one? When I decided to replace the CRX some 18 months ago, I checked with the two local dealers. At one, the salespeople had apparently never heard of it, the other had no idea when or if they could get one. Searching the various other on-line listings turned up a couple: one, a CVT, had been sold a couple of months before, the other was in North Dakota.
___Autotrader and Cars.com are two places to start. You don’t just pick up the first Insight that appears but wait until the right one appears. I spent over 4 months researching and waiting for the right one to appear. The Northern reaches, 80 lmpg, Honda Certified, clean car Fax. I don’t know why you would purchase something less unless you were in a hurry and if you are in a hurry, the Insight is probably the wrong car for you anyway. The high lmpg is a testament to purchasing the right Insight if I do say so myself.

___As for your climb, I don’t have one so using the pack for anything but emergencies is pretty foreign although I have been as far as 7 bars down (13 of 20 displayed) in a 20 mile traffic jam out on I-55 once … That was before I learned how to manage the pack’s SoC by lessening Assist in 2nd gear even in the worst of traffic nightmares.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1p7ii26n][email protected][/email:1p7ii26n]

· Registered
212 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
Getshocked.ca said:
So Far all im hearing is alot of talk, So unless You have the meins to perform this task, Messaging about how its an inconvienence is nothing but an EXCUSE and THREAD CRAP

I think I just discovered what the verb "trolling" means.
Asking Someone to PROVE Their results is not trolling. You guys are just deflecting my question instead of simply proving it, and I guess that is the George Bush way that so many people have embraced.

Instead of providing proof we will just try and discredit our opponent and hope everybody forgets what there original point was all about.

And to answer your "Deflective " Question YES my Insight was purchased Brand New, I have been driving it for 4 years and I know how to get exceptional millage, But no where near as exceptional as the claims some people make

So once again, Instead of Discrediting my Insight, Maybe you guys should put the effort into proving me wrong and doing the friggin Video taped 97 km, 117 (i will allow 110 to consider it proof) Trip

G

·
Hi Getshocked:

___I have already linked what, 30 gauge cluster pic’s? You sure did back away from the 92.5 lmpg or was there enough proof for that? Now it s a personal best with Video. It is pretty simple. Go to Orbitz.com, pick up a one way ticket to O’Hare and I will pick you up. You might have to wait a while at your expense given it isn’t going to be in the 70’s with a nice tailwind for the next 4 or 5 months but I am sure that with your stubbornness you would be willing to wait. As it stands, Chisight, Rick Reese, Billy, and myself have all achieved > 117 mpg segments so maybe want to ask one of the others to pick you up at their respective airports on the perfect day? I had > 110 in the Attempt thread and you still haven’t even looked at those?

___Put your money where your mouth is or are you a Troll?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1vtmv0bg][email protected][/email:1vtmv0bg]

· Registered
212 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Getshocked:

___I have already linked what, 30 gauge cluster pic’s? You sure did back away from the 92.5 lmpg or was there enough proof for that? Now it s a personal best with Video. It is pretty simple. Go to Orbitz.com, pick up a one way ticket to O’Hare and I will pick you up. You might have to wait a while at your expense given it isn’t going to be in the 70’s with a nice tailwind for the next 4 or 5 months but I am sure that with your stubbornness you would be willing to wait. As it stands, Chisight, Rick Reese, Billy, and myself have all achieved > 117 mpg segments so maybe want to ask one of the others to pick you up at their respective airports on the perfect day? I had > 110 in the Attempt thread and you still haven’t even looked at those?

___Put your money where your mouth is or are you a Troll?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:35flaqoa][email protected][/email:35flaqoa]

Did you not read my above post?????? You just single handedly proved it.

Im sure you have or know someone with a video camera, You know I am not going to fly to some part of the country and spend 500 bucks, You are trying to Prove your point by presenting me with a rediculous alternative knowwing very well I cant do that.

I will Pay for a video Tape and S/H to send it to me. The More rediculous and defensive you get the more myself, and others are going to think your claims are false, YOU DO THE TRIP OFTEN, SO JUST VIDEO TAPE IT ONCE

· Registered
618 Posts
Moderator speaking

In regards to a video tape proof everyone knows what Getshocked would like to see although I doubt anyone will proove him wrong for 6 months. Since this thread has served its purpose I am going to lock it (Assuming I figure out how). We know where everyone stands but should you need to pass along further information please PM the person. Have fun, Rick

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.