Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oops! While trying to install an external jack for a grid charger got an arc/short..sparks flew and then DEAD!
Checked & removed the 100 Amp Main Fuse from IMA control panel. It is a goner. Seen numerous older threads on this and wondered if anyone has found a cheaper source for these fuses. Honda wants $83. Found online for $53. mention made that Hybrid-Battery-Repair.com had them for $10 but they appear to be gone. One guy on Ebay is selling a circuit breaker to replace but I am not sure that is a good idea as I believe that fuse is higher than 24 volts:
100 Amp 12 24V DC Circuit Breaker Replace Fuse 100A 12 24VDC Fast Free USA SHIP | eBay
Help! Any ideas on where to get this fuse CHEAP ??? I am in Dallas area.
Thanks. Ras

·
Administrator
10,944 Posts
You need the proper 100A 400V DC Rated fuse anything else might burn down the car.

Eli at BB or the other battery rebuilders probably have a few.

That breaker is completely unsuitable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need the proper 100A 400V DC Rated fuse anything else might burn down the car.

Eli at BB or the other battery rebuilders probably have a few.

That breaker is completely unsuitable.
Thanks for the heads up. I already figured that the circuit breaker was a no-go, shame as it would have been nice. The one I have is marked Littelfuse EV45100H (Honda#C313-PHM-003) and even Littelfuse couldn't find it. Honda wants $83 for them. Must be made of "UnObtainum" which is only found in meteorites that fall to earth.. :D
Looks like the Littelfuse LS50 100 Amp is close but not sure if it can be used in the 2001 Insight as is.
Will call BumbleBee. Thanks. Ras

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you talking about the 100 AMP LITTLEFUSE l70S? I purchased one at one time from this vendor on eBay. $35 is a steal compared to what you would pay at the dealership.

Littlefuse power-guard semiconductor fuse L70S 100Amp
I blew mine while being an idiot the other day, then stole one off a spare battery pack and let the smoke out of that one too (in a different, but still idiotic manner). So I ordered 3 L70S 100amp fuses (used, so a good bit cheaper thanfully). The main fuse (under the black plastic cover) is not an L70S (they're comparatively huge). I'm fairly sure it's an L50S after taking measurements and looking at the data sheet. This would jibe with the sticker on the Honda Littelfuse EV45100H
450VDC 100 amp.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm the latest idiot fuse blower. If the op and last post are still around, mind updating with what fuse you got, and how you sourced it?

·
Super Moderator
7,498 Posts
I'm the latest idiot fuse blower. If the op and last post are still around, mind updating with what fuse you got, and how you sourced it?
They are widely available on eBay. Copy the part number off your blown unit and enter it into eBay's search engine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
edit: so the L70S 100 does not fit as a replacement?

there's only one honda fuse on ebay for the typical dealer price of $85.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Personally, I can't help but question why a part that costs $70 from Digikey or Mouser - sources that generally have decent pricing on components - can be had for 1/10th the cost or less. I can't help but wonder if they are actually LS50S100 from Littlefuse or some knock-off.

I'd rather pay $55 for a part from Honda or $70 from a reputable supplier than $5 EA from an ebay supplier - cheap peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
The ones in the eBay link are used.

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Thanks Sam... I could have read that a little closer. That explains a bit.

Based on mudder's explanation of how these fuses work, and not knowing what application they were in, how long in service, etc., I would be even more reluctant to put them in a car.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yes, IIRC DC fuses have a usage lifetime... they age with use, and eventually go *poof*.
Littelfuse L50S-100
http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/electrical/datasheets/fuses/semiconductor-fuses/littelfuse-fuse-l50s-datasheet.pdf

Bussmann DFJ-100 is specced almost identically, but the hole-to-hole dimension is longer and is 0.13" larger in diameter. Even more expensive though.
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resources/product-datasheets-a/Bus_Ele_DS_1048_DFJ.pdf

Ferraz (now Mersen) A50P100 also seems equivalent, size is the nearly identical, specced for 100A, 450VDC, high speed, etc:
http://ep-us.mersen.com/uploads/Advisor/Advisor111-D-SemiConductor-web.pdf

Neither is going to save you anything over the stock Littelfuse though.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
yep, the ones i linked were used but out of a box of 10, i doubt you'll have all lemons. for reliability sake, new is the best option, but these fuses have been known to last 15 years with everyday use, so i can't imagine their lifespan is all that short.. perhaps if they are being used at the upper voltage limits and amperages, our cars only typically use about 1/2 of their potential limit.

the L50S100 still seems to only cost half what the stock honda ones are if you poke around.

for me, i guess i don't mind leaving a spare with a ratchet in the storage bin just to test the theory. i've had plenty of brand new parts fail long before used ones did(quality control seems to be failing mankind in the 21st century).

·
Registered
850 Posts
Really love how fascinated we are all with fuses, this is my kind of crowd =]

I already have all the viable ebay options in my basket. Waiting for a return refund before making purchase. Not in a big hurry here.

Awesome research on all the alternatives. Good to know if we ever run out of the Littelfuse, I can break out my dremel and make something else fit in there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts