Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, but I've been searching for an insight for a long time! They come on the market every once in a while in MA, so there's no rush to buy, but this one looks compelling:

2000 Honda Insight

The price is fair judging by KBB; and the car's exterior/interior look pretty clean from the photos which makes me believe that it was treated well. However, the really high mileage on the car as well as its age (first year of production really) make me a bit hesitant. It looks like a lot of people on the site are getting extremely high mileage out of their cars, but is that with extra-special tender loving care, or just the basics? My wagon has 190+ K miles and is 15 years old, but I know its history and put most of those on myself; but buying a car with that many miles gives me the heeby-jeebies! Would love to hear people's opinions on how it will hold up.

As for the gear grind, I've searched the site and it sounds like a synchro issue that is really common on the MTs. Searching for parts, it looks expensive, and while I do my own motorcycle work, I never want to touch a car. Can people who have had this work done please throw out what they paid a shop?

Finally, anything to look out for when I test-drive it? I'm definitely doing a hill test to check the battery, and will ask for documentation of the battery replacement, but please let me know what other quirks to be on the lookout for. Thanks for your replies, and thanks for hosting such a great community!

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Don't worry about the miles. I have one with 177K on it, and it is a great car. This is a good price, but the No AC problem would kill it for me. I guess you could add it with used parts. I don't use the AC much, even in our desert heat, but it is necessary for when my wife is with me. Or when I'm on a trip where there is humidity. If you learn to double-clutch you will be able to live with the transmission.

Sam

·
Registered
156 Posts
Miles is just that. As long as the car is kept well and the battery is good with records, I would buy it.

Some tips for you when you drive it
* This car has less than 100 hps ( i think 73 hp). It will be slow, but when you get on a freeway and gun it, you should see the assist be use to help the engine go. As you brake, you should see the charge (green) light up.
* The clutch grinding isn't too bad. Just learn to double clutch as RainSux says.
* The car appears to be in good condition. Make sure you check it out in the day time and for any oil leaks.
* YOu should read about how to get the car into "lean burn" mode. You will be on the freeway at about 59 mphs. As you ease on the throttle, at a certain sweet spot, and you will see the FCD gauge go up from 55 range to 100. That is lean burn mode. If you can get into that mode easily, then your EGR valve is good. Otherwise, you'll probably have to replace it.
* Run a carfax of course :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought it!

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to let you know I bought the above insight and it's fantastic! Such a beautiful car, and for the price of two front tires and some new windshield wipers I'll even pass state inspection :)

Putting the car in neutral, was able to charge the battery close to full (17 bars) and the car used and restored the charge great on the drive home; so I'm a very happy owner. As the low beam switch is starting small fires in my steering column, I'll be taking it into the shop for a new one; but right now am just not driving at night. Will probably get a C-service and have all the fluids flushed and filled then too. Does anyone have any suggestions on good Honda shops in the Boston area that really know their insights? Thanks!

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
Putting the car in neutral, was able to charge the battery close to full (17 bars) and the car used and restored the charge great on the drive home; so I'm a very happy owner.
Just so you know, it's a waste of gasoline to charge your IMA battery pack in neutral. The IMA system will manage the battery pack charge level automatically as you drive, so charging in neutral should (almost?) never be necessary.

As the low beam switch is starting small fires in my steering column, I'll be taking it into the shop for a new one; but right now am just not driving at night.
Before paying an independent shop to replace your headlight switch, check with a Honda dealer. The headlight switch was the target of a safety recall (Honda Service Bulletin 04-015), so Honda might replace it at no cost.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips!

I read about the headlamp switch recall on the site here; but it's already been done once on this car and the dealer tells me it's no longer eligible for the free recall. Has anyone had any luck getting repeat headlamp switch replacements covered?

As far as charging the battery up in neutral, I had read that that was something you should try to do once a month as part of battery maintenance; please let me know if I'm wrong (as is likely the case)!

Thanks again to everyone on the forums for their help!

·
Registered
114 Posts
As far as charging the battery up in neutral, I had read that that was something you should try to do once a month as part of battery maintenance; please let me know if I'm wrong (as is likely the case)!
Greetings Mr Oarsman, and welcome to this board & to the Insight family.

To answer your question, as Art mentioned, you shouldn't ever have to charge the battery in neutral if you're using the vehicle on a regular basis. The IMA system on your Insight will auto-magically handle the ASST/CHRG cycles to keep your IMA battery within a pre-defined SOC (State of Charge).

Two things to consider:

1.) If you aren't going to be driving the vehicle for a period of time, there is link somewhere on this board (see search function) with the manual steps you can take to keep your IMA battery in peak working order. Non-use is very hard on any NiMH battery. If someone knows that link, please add it. However, the best way to maintain your battery is to use a Grid Charger (which you'll see mentioned all over this board).

Please review the following link: http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...scussion/21028-storage-little-use-issues.html

2.) The use of a Grid Charger, and maybe this is what you were thinking of, is also recommended on a regular basis (about once a month) to fully charge & condition the IMA battery and remove any imbalance among the 20 separate battery sticks within the IMA battery.

I hope this information helps answer your question.

Kerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts