Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am hoping you guys might give me some opinions on the value of my 2000 5-MT I am hoping to sell.

I put a post in the for sale area of the forum a week or so ago and have had a good amount of interest, tho nobody has actually come out to look at it.

Perhaps some of you would be willing to take a look at the post (2000 5-MT for Sale Northern va) and let me know thoughts and perhaps an appropriate guide-price window.

It really is in wonderful condition, has a strong hybrid battery. The only really disappointing area is the black trim on the drivers door, tho that is easily replaceable of course.

Sincerely appreciate any advice.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
The car look pretty nice in the photos, like it may have had a lot of garage time. I think the asking price is maybe $500-1000 too much for a car with the mileage and a few correctable issues.

The story on the IMA battery doesn't seem to make sense. No dealer makes a mistake of that magnitude. I "think" that if you read off the serial number of the battery, Eli at Bumblebeebatteries can tell you the date is was built. You might give him a call. Does the owner claim that he paid for an IMA battery?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
606 Posts
I "think" that if you read off the serial number of the battery, Eli at Bumblebeebatteries can tell you the date is was built.
The 5th (I think?) character on the serial number indicates the year the battery was manufactured, similar to how the 10th character on a VIN number indicates the car's year. This is true for OEM Honda batteries, not sure about aftermarket ones. There's a thread floating around here somewhere where someone posted the correlations between the character and hybrid battery year of production, I think it may have been Peter who posted it? but I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: I tried looking for it real quick, but the search bar doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment. Even searching a basic query like "battery" returns no results. Trying to find the post so someone doesn't read this months down the road and take what I said as gospel truth....need to find and link the thread here.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Car looks nice, sounds decent. Asking price seems about right to me, though I'd expect it to go for lower, maybe around $3500. If you can verify that the pack was replaced more recently then closer to $4k would be fair I think...

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
eq1, how do you read the date code. I know I've seen it somewhere.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I know you can do that with the code label on the sticks, not sure what can be done with the pack label. For sticks, 5th digit, a letter, indicates the year, where "L" is 2007 (that's the one I always remember), earlier years are earlier letters, later years later letters. 2008 would be "M," "K" would be 2006, etc...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback it is really appreciated. I will take a look at the serial number on the battery and chase it's source down. The story behind the alleged battery replacement is a unique one and all I can do is regurgitate it here as it was told to me buy the elderly gentleman I purchased it from. Knowing the context behind the story and my interactions with the gentleman I have no doubts that the story is true, but, of course, I may just be inordinately naive.

I will update when I have some kind of answer. I may just drop the price by $1k in an effort to move the vehicle on. I love my other insight, as much of a headache it can be but I have an emotional attachment to its 362k miles and the journey we've been on. I bought the 00 on the understanding that it was perfect as a parts car for my 02 but it was clear it was/is in much better condition than mine and it made sense to fix the issues and keep it or move it on. However due to my Hvac giving up the ghost I really should use the cash from the 00 sale to soften the $$$ blow of Hvac replacement.

Regards - Chris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts