Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Well I am pretty excited. I just put in an order for a 2006 Silver Insight, 5 spd MT with A/C. This is my first time buying a car and I am happy it's going to be a hybrid. :D

I wanted to hear from all others out there that have put in their order for a 2006 Insight. What price were you quoted for yours? I was quoted a price of $20,780 + TTL. I estimate the total to be around $22K. Is this comprable to what the rest of you have been quoted?

Also, are any of you considering the hondacare? I have read many previous posts and the recommendation seems to be to purchase from curryhondacare.com, if at all.

Last question, what color did you pick and why? I was originally going to go with red but I prefer a much deeper, darker red and from the pics I have seen, the red Insight seem to be a bit too loud and bright for me. Also, I saw a silver one in the local Whole Foods parking lot recently and it was sweet looking. So I went with the silver.

That's all for now. I am sure I will be posting more in the weeks to come.

Cheers!

Shayla

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Welcome Shayla - Red Insights go faster :) get better fuel economy :D and are really cool 8)

You're lucky to still be able to buy new. Insights have not been sold new in Australia since the end of 2003.

Enjoy your car - I hope you get it soon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did they give you an estimated time of delivery?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Estimated time of delivery

2hybrids: Answering my questions with a question huh? :wink: Ok, well I will answer your question but you gotta answer mine too! :)

Actually, I asked that I get the car anytime after next March. I think because of this request, the dealer put off placing my order this month. So I anticipate getting it sometime in April or May. I don't mind the wait. Especially because I ordered a manual and I have never driven a standard in my life. :eek:

However, I am eager to learn and from all that I have read, a manual Insight is the way to go!

Cheers!

Shayla

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hondacare

I bought the Hondacare on my 2005. I get all oil changes and extended the warranty to 120,000 miles. It added about $30/month to the payments. Batteries are covered to $120K miles. I consider it worth it. I have a silver 2005 CVT with AC and I love it. Paid $22,400. I also bought Insight floor mats and Insight cargo mat. I got hawian style seat covers from Pep Boys (red and white flowers). Total out the door with tax and everything was under $26K. 60 mpg and cool factor off the charts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah

I just committed to buying a 2006 Silver Manual Insight off my local Honda Dealers lot. I will pick it up Saturday at noon. List price was 21,080 including the destination charge. It has AC. I did some research and realized that I cannot claim a tax credit for a manual 5 speed Insight. I told the dealer that I could not get a tax credit and asked that he reduce the price. The dealer knocked off $1500. Geesh, I was expecting maybe 300-500 dollars. So, I said OK, let's do it.

Can't wait till Sat.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Congradulatons John. Nice bargaining! 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bargaining!

Hi John from PA,

Thanks so much for sharing your story about getting $1500 off MSRP due to the lack of tax credit for the Insight manual. While I couldn't quite score the deal you did, my dealer did take off $500 off MSRP and threw in a couple of accessories at my request. So my price now is $20,580.00 +TT&L including Floor Mats and Cargo Mat. Woo hoo! I am pretty happy with it. :lol:

Now I gotta figure out if I am getting Hondacare......

Cheers!

Shayla

·
Registered
51 Posts
Picked it up Friday Evening

I passed on the Honda Care, but might still might consider getting it in the future. I believe I have a month os so to decide. Did you get a price quote for 120,000 mile Honda Care?

Anyhow, I drove the Insight to the mall last night. Idle stop kicked in a few times, and I stalled the engine once on a restart. I had to restart it with the key. Wonder why the computer doesn't recognize that and just put it back in idle stop mode so it could restart itself.

But, everyone here is correct. I couldn't keep my eyes off the instant MPG indicator. The car has pretty good get up and go also. The only thing that bugs me so far is the limited view out the rear view mirror and the blind spots on each side.

But, hey I'll adjust. Can't wait to drive it 60 miles to work on Monday!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hondacare

My dealer quoted me $1,595.00 for 5 years/100,000 miles with $0 deductible.

I still want to look into the prices at curryhondacare.com but will do that as it approaches the time I get my Insight.

Shayla

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
With the curry honda care web site go through it to get the price, make sure you put in your email address. Then go and look in your email, they send a code for additional money off. Then if your set on getting it I would take that to your dealership and see what you can get them to do, they might match or beat it. Remember they make a very high premium selling extended warranties.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Curry Honda Care price

Thanks Ricky,

I checked Curry and their price for a zero deductible 8 year 120,000 mile warranty is $1200. Also, they have a promotion going on until the end of Dec 2005 for $95 off, so the total would be $1105.

I might consider it, or take it to my local dealer to see what they can do.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations on the Insight. It's a great car.

I'm partial to Silver cars, and I went for the CVT because of the better emissions rating. The MPG is a little lower, but the ride is smooth and the exhaust is pure. I also had a silvery tint added to the windows to match the paint (rather than a dark grey tint).

As for Hondacare, it is a retail product. Half of the price of the package goes to the dealership. It's a great profit source, but in my opinion it isn't a great deal for the carbuyer.

The price sounds about right. I bought a 2003 CVT in January 2004 for $19,500 +TTT (about $21k including everything). It had been on the lot for a few months, and they were ready to get rid of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got a blue 5 speed ordered. I will be paying $20780 plus TTL. I put down a $2000 refundable deposit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lovin It

Picked up my Insight on Friday evening. Today I drove it for the first time to work, 60 miles each way. Six miles are back country roads, and the remainder is 4 lane highway. I averaged 56.1 mpg on the way to work and 58.9 mpg on the way home, for an average roundtrip of 57.3. Winter temperature today was 30-45 range. I drafted a truck for about 15 mile on the way there, which helped, but I don't like the idea of rocks and stones being kicked up into the car. I didn't draft on the way home, just paid more attention to instant mpg and feathering the throttle. My overall speed was between 65-73 mph.

I'm lovin it! This is a great little car. I assume my milage will go up some when summer arrives.

Good luck with your Insight orders!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Yes indeed summer is awesome. :D

Drafting is really risky for winshields and dents in the hood. There are many safer ways to improve mileage as noted on this site. Mileage will improve as the Insight breaks in too.

Glad you like it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
wow, the insights are going for alot now. I told the sales guy the highest I could go was $17,500 and he said "OK, sold." And then he insisted I drive the car home that night. This was back in '01. I guess the demand is a little higher now. 100k miles later I still have the most reliable car i've ever bought.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I wish it were so :!:

But by hindsight Honda _overestimated_ demand and was "stuck" with a lot (relatively speaking) of Insights. Peaked in 02.

So they simply reduced supply. The Insight is now "built" in production "runs" as demand fills enough orders to merit.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Buying disadvantage

I think that those of us buying a new Insight now are at a disadvantage in terms of bargaining power because dealers do not keep inventory. If it isn't on the lot, it's really hard to negotiate a good price. John from PA got a great deal but his Insight was already sitting on the lot.

I called a couple of Honda dealers in town before settling on the one I ordered from. One of the dealers just flat out refused to discount the Insight at all. He basically said to me that if I pick a car out of their lot, then he could negotiate otherwise no dice. I am happy with the little discount I did get.

I am really glad to hear that an Insight from '01 and 100K miles later is still rockin!! I know whatever I pay for it will be well worth it :)

Shayla

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was looking to trade mine in a couple of times and get a manual but it was never cost effective. The one thing I'm shocked is that my battery pack still has a ton of capacity and i've never had a recall.

It's a shame they don't keep a higher stock. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when I have to get a new car. Hopefully that will be in another 5 years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts