Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for technoheads,
I've noticed that there is an outside temp sensor installed on the car, below the engine radiator. When I look in the Insight shop manual (heating section 21-3) there is no functional discription of the sensor itself, is there an option available for outside temp. reading in Insight models ? I know this sensor gives an output, but for what ? The signal for this sensor goes to the heater control panel, then to climate control unit (CCU) or the other way arround. But I have no info about the CCU. I ask this, because I want to install an outside tempsensor, so I can read the outside temp. But if the car is prepared for this function, it makes it me a lot easyer.
Help :?:

·
Registered
348 Posts
The temperature-sensor is for auto-stop (and maybe for air-con also??)
And as the engine doesn't stall anyway at temperatures under 5 Degrees Cel. (because of the sensor) I know then for a fact that it's cold enough for ice on the roads and get warned that way. :wink:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well... I know that sensor plays a role in auto stop. Some early ones had a problem of the sensor not being hooked up which would make it now allow auto stop. If it senses it's below a certain temperature it will not allow auto stop either. The only place I'm able to find it in the wiring diagrams is with the climate control as well. Perhaps it's more for optimal climate control than anything else. :? To my knowledge I don't believe the Insight is setup for a temperature display, the japnese verison with the navi and screen would possibly be the only exception I can think of. I would imagine if you could figure out the output from the sensor properly you could make it work for a temperature display, but it would probalby be easier to just run an additional sensor on some stand alone unit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick said:
.... but it would probalby be easier to just run an additional sensor on some stand alone unit.
I am going to check out the outputs, if that doesn't work......yeah, ok I buy a seperate sensor :cry:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Tim,
Actualy I can't remember or I had autoshutdown below 40's or not, I am going to try this function with ice-spray !!
Thank's for the hint, I'll let you know.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Windmill:

___I know about the frontal temp sensor but there is also the AIT (Air Intake Temperature) sensor somewhere in the intake plumbing. You can view its output using an OBD-II scan tool. For an external temperature sensor that you can read inside your Insight, you may want to consider the following from Rick Reece’s own mod(s): http://www.insightcentral.net/owners/mods/reece.html

___Chisight has installed the same in his 00 5-speed and it works excellent …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2b0pcz0u][email protected][/email:2b0pcz0u]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wauw....This guy is a technohead, verry well done Rick :wink:
I do only think it is a verry expensive way to check the temparature, but it looks great !! I will consider to buy that, I've seen they have a store in Germany. Why can't Rick connect a system via his obd2 port to his tv screen ?
Thanks for the tip xcel.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Windmill,
If you want to get the OBD-II info their are several good packages. I am using a CARCHIP which records information every 5 sec which can then download into your computer for monitoring trends etc. Most seam to perfer the real time monitoring ability of a scantool and a laptop. Have fun, Rick

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Windmill:

___Might I suggest you consider this Scan tool package? Not only is it very inexpensive, it was written by one of the guys that did some of the original design on OBD-2 protocol’s and/or spec’s apparently?
You can read a nicely written review on the Car Codes OBD-2 scan tool as shown here and here is the actual website with even more information:

OBD-2.com

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2zs5z33e][email protected][/email:2zs5z33e]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rick Reece said:
Windmill,
If you want to get the OBD-II info their are several good packages. I am using a CARCHIP...
I want to, but I have to find a online shop and some partnumbers, so I have the correct soft/hardware. I am affraid I have to look in Europe for this because order these things in the US is hard for me, because some good shops don't sell outside the US, like Honda majestic for example :cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts