Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 manual and she has just over 365000 miles on her. The I'ma died and soon I'll rebuild but the trans is my main issue. It makes noise when the clutch is engaged and I was trying to find someone who rebuilds them. Also, I'm in need of a good site to get engine bearings so I can rebuild the engine when the trans is being done. I want her to hit a million miles.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
It makes noise when the clutch is engaged and I was trying to find someone who rebuilds them.
likely just the throwout bearing, you'll have a new one with your clutch kit. Add your location to your profile, and someone local to you might get in touch - or contact Scott - aka KLR3CYL who is the residential G1 transmission expert.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ty ty ty. The funny thing is when I got the car I replaced the clutch and throw out bearing. Also the CV axles,pain in the butt to find good ones and I worked at a parts store.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Ty ty ty. The funny thing is when I got the car I replaced the clutch and throw out bearing. Also the CV axles,pain in the butt to find good ones and I worked at a parts store.
I got new ones from O'Riley's, and have kept a few spare pairs for "just in case". Now that I'm down to a single G1, it seems like a waste of storage space.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be easy to rebuild but I want all the fancy stuffs the guru's know how to do done to it, you know the stuff idiots like me mess up.however a k swap isn't too far off the total cost of fixing everything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live near 7 u pull and pay junk yards, any motor with all acc on it is like $190, and I've built cars out of them for about a grand or less. Also you find allot of performance parts on the cars. I'm not saying it will be cheap but it won't cost an arm and a leg. How much did some of you guys ended up spending for the swap?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Depends on what you want. Mine was a low miles (<40k) engine, magnesium 6 speed completely rebuilt, custom final drive, new taller 6th gear. I needed wiring harnesses, chipped ECU, a fuel pressure regulator, different radiator fan, different shifter, different shift cables, a bunch of sensors, different throttle body, alternator, water pump. I added a new VTC gear, different cams, new oil pump. Hasport provided mounts and axles. You could maybe do it for 40% of the maybe $16,000 I have into mine so far, but you'll also have a lot of high mileage parts.

Edit: plus completely new exhaust, including muffler, resonator, catalyst.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just curious...for those that kswap, I’ve heard a lot of people don’t do it themselves. I guess that would add up quickly in addition to the list of parts needed. The moment Brian makes cvt mounts I’m swapping. Making power and good mpgs comparable to cvt? Priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Just curious...for those that kswap, I’ve heard a lot of people don’t do it themselves. I guess that would add up quickly in addition to the list of parts needed. The moment Brian makes cvt mounts I’m swapping. Making power and good mpgs comparable to cvt? Priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's right. I don't have a welder, nor am I good enough to do the sorts of welds I'd need to, for instance, stitch tiny aluminum A/C lines together. In my case I gathered parts, did a lot of the electrical work, then took it to a shop to have most of the mechanicals done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well to throw it out here if I do a swap I would want:

A stock k20 or k24motor or any motor that fits
Stock trans or any trans that fits
Any cluster just as long as it works.
The HVAC system is no issue
I want to gut the hybrid stuff

If my reaserch is right I can get most of the stuff off of a Honda CR-V but I'm just getting into the reaserch on that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's right. I don't have a welder, nor am I good enough to do the sorts of welds I'd need to, for instance, stitch tiny aluminum A/C lines together. In my case I gathered parts, did a lot of the electrical work, then took it to a shop to have most of the mechanicals done.
Unless the insight uses goofy stuffs the lines should just bolt right up to the AC compressor.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Unless the insight uses goofy stuffs the lines should just bolt right up to the AC compressor.
If you're interested I can detail the bare minimum for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well I have learned that I was completely wrong. apparently you cannot get almost everything from a Honda CRV, good to know. I wonder if I can get like a chain driven differential setup in front wheel drive configuration working. That would make things really cheap if I put a 1000cc/ 1200cc motorcycle engine in it and Id have a dog cage transmission to boot, I could adapt to the stock shifter and save money.

However after ripping out the driver side carpet I can definitely tell this thing has been in a pond or something because stuff is really messed up. But that doesn't scare me I took a 1987 Chevy Camaro and made it a pretty decent car. When from the factory they couldn't even get the wiring color correct through more than one connector at a time. I shall prevail and keeping this thing alive for a long long time.......... Hopefully. Tis time for the drawing board and an eraser then another drawing board and so on, just like every other project any other human being has ever worked on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well I have learned that I was completely wrong. apparently you cannot get almost everything from a Honda CRV, good to know. I wonder if I can get like a chain driven differential setup in front wheel drive configuration working. That would make things really cheap if I put a 1000cc/ 1200cc motorcycle engine in it and Id have a dog cage transmission to boot, I could adapt to the stock shifter and save money.

However after ripping out the driver side carpet I can definitely tell this thing has been in a pond or something because stuff is really messed up. But that doesn't scare me I took a 1987 Chevy Camaro and made it a pretty decent car. When from the factory they couldn't even get the wiring color correct through more than one connector at a time. I shall prevail and keeping this thing alive for a long long time.......... Hopefully. Tis time for the drawing board and an eraser then another drawing board and so on, just like every other project any other human being has ever worked on.

Go to https://www.k20a.org/forum/ and figure out the recipe for a K swap. They seem to have the best generic K info on the web. Also go to youtube and follow VTEC Acadamy. Brian is a wizard, and he (Hasport) makes the best swap mounts for the K series. He also has axles.

The CRV is not the best donor unless you want to go AWD which is more difficult on an insight because the car is aluminum and the AWD stuff is steel. You can't just weld stuff together like the civic crowd.

The easiest donor for a K24 seems to be the manual Accord. The ECU can be flashed, the motor makes a lot of torque, and the 5 speed works pretty well for MPG concerns, and our cars are so light it will also be fast.

Now that motor does NOT have true VTEC. If you want that you can do a "frankenmotor" which uses a K20 head on the K24 bottom end. This gives you the torque of more displacement, a better breathing true VTEC head, and it's not super expensive. Read up on it, because there's some other stuff like oil pumps and things you have to piecemeal together.

OR you can go whole-hog and get the K24a2 out of an 04-08 Acura TSX with a manual 6 speed. These are the highest output stock K motors. But they are in demand and usually pretty expensive.

There are plenty of good K20 swaps as well, but I'm not looking at those so I don;t know which ones are better or worse. There's a lot of K20's to choose from though and they can be pretty cheap.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also, there are some stock transmissions from K20 cars that have a factory Torsen style LSD and 6 speeds. Those are usually also expensive.

If ground clearance is an issue for you a K20 gets the oil pan like 3/4" higher up than a K24. I don't know if you want to lower your car or anything...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts