Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, unfortunately the Silver Spacepod has developed an overheating problem, in the dead of winter. Sucks. I dropped the car off this morning, I'm very worried at this point. The service manager is thinking from what I described to him that either there's a leak in the cooling system (haven't seen any evidence of that in terms of spots in my parking space or any unusual liquids in the engine bay) or a blown head gasket. Either way, the repair will probably not be cheap. I'm definitely depressed.

The car had behaved normally up until about a week ago, when the temp started skyrocketing. It would jump from the normal 6 bars of temp up to the start of the red zone. If I turned on the a/c to ECON a/c off and set the temp at about 70 degrees, the readout on the temp gauge would slowly return to the normal range, every once in a while going back up to 8 bars then returning to 6. Not too much of an inconvenience in the winter, but as soon as the spring arrives I'd imagine this fix will become unbearable.

As I said, at the moment I'm severely depressed about what could be wrong with my beloved little Silver Spacepod. Hopefully they can find the problem and fix it without me having to be without my car for too long and without completely draining my bank account!

If anybody has any thoughts or experiences that might shed some light on the situation I'd love to hear it (unless the story is buy a new engine or something like that!).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Could be a simple thermostat. The Insight's engine probably runs cool enough when not running the A/C to hardly need a radiator. Another possibility is the water pump.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got the word from the Honda dealer. They said basically my coolant system was indeed low (the container must be discolored on the inside because when I checked it I thought it was in the ok zone, apparently not). On top of that, one of the O2 sensors has gone bad (I've had a check engine light on for the better part of two years but the previous dealer I had gone to said it was an erroneous code and not to worry about so I didn't until this most recent episode of abnormal behavior), which he said was probably causing a lean situation increasing cylinder head temps. They pressure tested the radiator/cooling system and couldn't find any leaks, and they checked for a possible head gasket failure (using some sort of chemical that detects hydrocarbons in the coolant to see if any coolant has been getting into the cylinders?) but everything checked out ok. They flushed the radiator and refilled the system with new coolant and he said since they've done that they haven't been able to get the car into an overheating situation again. They're going to replace the O2 sensor (almost $600 parts and labor) and have the car back to me later this afternoon.

Hopefully this will indeed solve my problems. I'm sure I'll find out! Maybe even allow my mpg to start getting back up to where it had been up until about the last year or so.

I love my car tremendously (much to the chagrin of my wife who really can't stand my car but tolerates it because I've had it longer than I've known her!), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Silver Spacepod will return shortly to its rightful place on the highway!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts