Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if 2000insight can be towed flat 4 on ground with rv .book says only 50 miles .standard tranny ,why canit not be same as towing any standard car? need ASAP ,wanting to buy 2000 insight with 128888 miles but new batteries .thanks .dykedelta

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
anyone know if 2000insight can be towed flat 4 on ground with rv .book says only 50 miles .standard tranny ,why canit not be same as towing any standard car? need ASAP ,wanting to buy 2000 insight with 128888 miles but new batteries .thanks .dykedelta
I'm sorry, I don't know. You could always trailer it.

Get the car and then let me know if you have a battery problem.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
As far as towing goes, I think it all depends on how the transmission is lubricated. If the car is in neutral and the lubrication is supplied on the engine side of the transmission, there won't be any lubrication. If the engine is lubricated enough through some sort of crude splash lubrication or through the output shaft of the transmission, then it shouldn't be a problem.

The service manual does say 50 miles at 35mph. Considering that we have auto-stop on these cars at a little under 20mph and many people who are getting away with engine-off in neutral repeatedly without any damage that I've read about in the process, you might be able to stretch it. I don't know how much you really can stretch it though. I figure that a tow dolly that would take the front wheels off the ground would be your best bet. Those can be rented at the same place that you can rent a moving van.

Are you planning on taking this car as a dinghy on vacation with you, using the RV, or is this just to get it home?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
towing on all 4

thanks guys for comments .it does not make sense that having standard in neutral would cause any problem with electric motor .i tow hondas all time in neutral .but I do not know how drive train is set up . as for driving without batteries i would surely be intested .I drove a 3 cyl Geo for years that only had 50 hp and hauled load at that with empty wt. at 1685 +100 lbs tools and 2 people it still would make 52 mph .what ever happened to that technology ? car makers have lost it .dykedelta insight wannabe ! Any thing to look for on 2000 insight with 128000 miles with new battery pack ? jd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts