Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I realize we should go through all the old posts first, but all the different ways to search "owner's manual" brought 30+ PAGES of lists of posts and there is just no way I can read through all of that. Sooo....here I am, adding to the confusion... ANYWAY:

I have no owner's manual. I can get a LOT of what I need on this site, but it would be quite helpful/handy to have one in my car. Is there any way I can get one without spending like twenty+ bucks? Is there one posted free online somewhere? Is there any brilliant owner out there that has absolutely NO use for his/her own? Does Honda hand them out? I bought my car used--it's a 2001 5 speed.

Thanks, all, for your help. This board is amazing...I love it here!

Lindsay

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought an original service manual on cd-rom from Honda at the dealer
called INSIGHT ESM, Partnumber: 6CDS3Y00B.
I try to copy it but my computer is still malfunctioning on copying cd's.
Ask for it at the dealer, it cost only $200.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It isn't cheap, but when the warranty is gone it pays me off because I can fix the car on my own. I don't know how much 1 working hour is in the USA, but 1 day work on my own car and I have earned my cd-rom back :wink: Especially when the Dutch Guilder switched to the bloody Euro they just changed the marker Guilder= Fl (florijn) to Eu which = equal/multiplied by 2.2. This was done to have our former money on the same value as the rest of Europe. Although the government says that is not true. So right now we pay for a lot of things 2.2 times more then when we had the Guilder.

Sorry for the long story.......

·
Registered
295 Posts
Dougie said:
Owner's Manual versus Shop Manual...
You mean that little book in the car which explains how to turn on the ignition, fuel the car, how all the buttons work etc vs a maintenance manual/shop manual ?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yeah. The owner's manual comes with the car. Maybe you can even get it from the Honda website--you can for some brands.

The service manual is about two inches thick and has all the details about rebuilding the engine and transmission, about diagnostic procedures, etc. If you're planning to service the car yourself you probably need this one for anything beyond the very obvious items.

Also there's a body manual (about 1/4" thick) that covers body repairs. It's really targeted at a body shop--or even the factory, because there's all sorts of stuff that really only applies to the factory build. Sort of useless for shadetree mechanics. These two (service + body) cost $120 from Helm, Inc.

And there's an electrical system manual but I didn't get that one...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lindsay,
Keep an eye on Ebay. Here's one for a 2003. The differences would be
really minor. It's $44.95 + S&H

2003 Honda Insight Owners Manual 03
Item number: 7974665789

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Lindsay,
For your 2001: If you buy the service manual from Helm there is a supplement that you may want to check out. The 2 inch thick service manual mentioned above is for year model 2000, then they printed a supplement for the updates invloved in the 2001. There _ARE_some differences between 2000 and 2001..._AND_some differences in early and late 2001 models, mostly with the O2 sensers/cats, I believe.
The money is well spent IMHO if for no other reason than educating onesself when dealing with a service dept. at the dealer. If you are so inclined to do maint/service/repairs, then the manuals are a must.
I got the electrical manual also.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The 2005 version of the service manual seems to be a roll-up of the previous versions. It discusses the oil cooler, for example, which was only on the early models...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone is right about the service manual, and if I can afford to get my hands on one, I will. But I really was talking about the "OWNERS" manual that comes with the car, "which explains how to turn on the ignition, fuel the car, how all the buttons work," as windmill so insultingly stated. It's not that I don't know how to DO these things, but anyone else who might have my car for five minutes and get a flat tire might NOT. Yes, I would like to service my own car. And no, I'm not a loser who doesn't know "how to turn on the ignition"---I'm simply a car owner who thinks it's PROBABLY a good idea to own the owner's manual. It contains simple info about when to do fluid checks and changes, which types of fluids to use, components, etc., at a glance instead of looking it up in a big book or online. That's all. One of these days, I will *hopefully* get myself a service manual. Til then, YES, I am just looking for the tiny, simple owner's manual. Ebay is a good idea....I was also asking if someone---like, windmill, perhaps???---who doesn't need or want theirs would like to sell/give it to me for the little bit I can pay.

Lindsay

·
Registered
468 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts