Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2000 G1 with a slightly older bumblebee. We're waiting for the grid charger that came with the car to be repaired by the manufacturer, so in the mean time we took the IMA battery out and bypassed the system.

I'm finding that my MPGs are in the high 50s, however the car sees a lot of stop & go city driving.

I'm not looking for troubleshooting advice here, but rather wanted to get an idea of what everyone's average MPGs are like - with the IMA removed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bypass MPG

My car is going to be on the low end, as it's still new to me and I'm working out all the issues. It's a 2000 m/t running Mudder's arduino bypass and I'm averaging around 47 mpg commuting 1000 miles a week mostly highway in central WI. I still find this amazing considering it needs the following:
Missing under tray skidplate
EGR has never been cleaned
Needs an alignment badly
Has old Tigerpaw tires on it

·
Registered
805 Posts
I use my IMAless Insight for food delivery and I also have HCH1 transmission in my car for its closer gear ratio and lower final differential drive.

Lean Burn is verified enabled on my car and I have RE92 tires.

Yesterday, I hypermile to work and home, I got average of 69mpg. Drive slow, shut engine off coming redlight, low RPM, etc.
Today, I didn't hyper mile, I got mid 50's mpg.
When I use my Insight for food delivery with a/c running, I get high 40 to low 50's.
When I drove the car to California for almost 1000 miles round trip, I got 53 mpg while doing speed limit (75-65) and got stuck in CA's traffic.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I see this question often on Facebook groups. This is my copy/paste response:

"Posted this before. 70-90 mpg in the winter. Haven't driven it much during the summer yet. But I hypermile. I had my dad drive it a few times to see what MPG it could get without hypermiling, and he would get between 60 and 70 MPG. I also have a few ecomods to improve economy. So the average Insight, driven normally, without ecomods, should get 55-65 mpg, about the same as one with the IMA."

·
Registered
913 Posts
70 mpg without IMA

Last summer I drove back to back, with IMA, then without. Averaged 71mpg with IMA and 70mpg without. No special hypermiling, but I don't romp on the throttle. I actually thought no IMA would be worse, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I still prefer to have an IMA battery when taking off from a stop.

Just my 0.02 worth,
Tim

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine has the battery, but I can turn off assist/recharge with a clutch switch. Mixed driving, some city, mostly highway (65 mph), IMA in use or not, makes no real difference. Summer, about 70mpg. Winter about 64mpg. This is with driving softly on the pedals and going with the flow of traffic.

I prefer having the battery in town. On the highway, I like the car better without the IMA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is from a trip last night.

Currently have IMA removed, all 7 belly panels installed and 35 psi in bridgestones. The odo shows round trip miles with two adult passengers and about 15% city/stop-go miles. Rest was slightly hilly interstate.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
I drove my car 60 miles this morning to a new job and I went 50 to 65 miles an hour on the interstate I got 92 miles to the gallon when I got to work . That's with both seats in the car for big tires and one windshield wiper. I'm scared of the may pop space savers this far from home. I also have a good battery behind the seats 70 pounds but I keep it cut off with the clutch switch. I can go to work one day in the car for under 2 gallons of gas go the next day in my truck and be close to 10 gallons of fuel. I have to use it because I burned 200 gallons a day in the tractor. I have been reading about putting Kubota motors in Chevy Ford and Dodge trucks and getting four times better mileage. Thank you American truck companies we should've known better. -__________The pictures are number two and number four belong to my cousin guess which one he got for under $1000??? Answer… Both guess which one he got for under $500 Number 2 or I like to call it The big red.----One more thing people are now calling me wanting to buy a car I don't know why. I'm still trying to buy more myself. The only thing I can't compete with - with all you smart guys is ?I love these car as much as y'all. Everything else I am a student thank y'all I came home tonight and got 92 miles to the gallon again .

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ima turned off and bcm unplugged. Egr not been cleaned yet. Getting 48 mpg highway at 80mph, 43mpg city driving stop and go. And 50 some mpg around 45-50 mph.
Thats my real life data for the last week. Gone 241 miles on 3/4 tank. It drives like crap. 1st gear not low enough, 1st to second big jump. You learn quickly not to pull out infront of anyone.

But to those using mudders arduino ima removal anyone have good working code they could share. Need to do this so i can take my pack out so i can start lto conversion.

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
IMO, you can't get a good answer to this kind of question. Driving technique, car variations and driving conditions make a huge difference. People don't even drive at the same speed and that itself makes a major difference. Some are better hypermilers than others, and that also makes a huge difference.

From my experience there are a couple of generalities which seem to apply. First the loss of IMA on the highway makes very little difference at all, because the battery is small anyway, and speed is relatively constant. Also, energy taken from the battery must be replaced on the next downhill or with background charging and the replacement energy comes from gasoline.

In city traffic, which isn't the same for everyone either, the IMA system helps some in a relative sense. It does recover some energy from deceleration and braking and that energy saves fuel on acceleration and perhaps getting more lean burn.

The chief advantage of having the IMA system operational is it gives the car better acceleration when needed, making the use of a very efficient and very small engine possible.

Much, perhaps most, of the MPG performance of the Gen1 come from other contributors, LRR tires, light weight, aerodynamics, gearing, small displacement, engine efficiency, lean burn, etc. IMO.

The highway test isn't hard to run if you want a quantitative answer, just use the IMA master switch to try it both ways with identical conditions and driving technique.

The city test - not so easy.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
My silver mt has been bypassed for almost 2 years. I get about 70 (or so) per tank. The car is used mostly for work commute which is about 80% highway.

City driving will definitely knock that number down.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ive read all the pages. There is multiple links and posts about code.
And yes also read through the honda civic hybrid trans and the fit trans.

·
Registered
805 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Should've also mentioned I now run the silver at 1000 rpm higher range. Used to run 1500-2500. Without ima, 2500-3500 needed to stay in ice power range and include vtec.

My silver also has fas capability. Tires are aired also.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't have hard data, as the variables are all over the place, but...

When I had IMA, I grid charged it every time it got low and rarely let the car charge it on it's own. I knew the battery was on the last leg anyways, so wasn't shy about doing this. Mostly city driving each tank, so I really used the IMA every chance I could.

Looking at the data, my city MPG on average was around mid 70's, pending time of year. Winter was as low as 65, peaking around 80 in the summer.

With IMA delete (only since end of last summer, basically), I'm seeing more averaging low 70's, possibly 70 even. Highway seems rather untouched, as expected (the few trips I've done is a few MPG lower, though that could be the temperatures or other variables).

So yeah, i'd say expect a 5-10% drop in MPG in city and 1-3% highway once the IMA system is no longer, according to my own findings. I bet it's worse to have a bad IMA that constantly wants to charge than to pull it, though!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked an Insight up as they are totally new to me!

Head back from WI doing 75-85mph the whole way i averaged 54mpg. This was calculated at the pump, not per what the car was saying. Car showed me being at 59mpg.

Still learning what works and doesn't so i hope to see these numbers improve :)

2002 M/T 147K, def needs some love

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
ehahn1
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing