Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All;
This is my first post although I have been visting the site since 2002.
I own a 2001 with 66K on it now and still love my Insight.

Unfortunatly, I started my car yesterday morning, and discovered that I had no power assist. Nothing would even show on the power assist gauge. The charging system is fully functional and I now have a 100% charge (which I have only ever seen once before on a downhill trip through Vermot). That next morning on the way to the dealership the 'check engine' light came on.
The Honda dealership called me this morning to tell me that the oxygen sensor was bad. The shock was that they also told me that the price was about $450 dollars. "$450 BUCKS FOR AN OXYGEN SENSOR!???" I said. What about my warranty and my extended 160km warranty? Their reply was that the "warranty finished at 60,000km and "oops sorry, but your extended warrantly does not cover the oxygen sensor." hmmm, it is sounding like this could be a very expensive car to own after warranty...

Has anyone else had to replace an oxygen sensor? If so, how much was it? Is it just me or is a $450 sensor a somewhat ridiculous price?

Also it does seem rather odd that I lost electric assist a full day before the check engine light cam on. Also that an oxygen sensor would disable electric boost but not electric charging.

Comments, thoughts, opions or recommendations are much appreciated...

Best regards,
Stephen

·
Registered
804 Posts
I was lucky to have my OEM oxygen sensor fixed a couple of years ago for $200 because replacement was estimated at $800. :shock:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmm, here in the States the Insight's have 8 years 80K on the emissions components. Oxygen sensors should be included. You might check your warranty guide.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback Rick;

I checked this out based on your recommendation and Honda Canada will only honor 60k on emissions components. The only thing covered in Canada for 8 years are the batteries!
Kind of makes me wonder why I spent the extra money on an extended warranty!

I voiced my displeasure to the dealer and they are going to cover the cost of the sensor and I will have to pay the labor only. Thank goodness I am dealing with an very good dealership in regard to customer satisfaction.
Wish I could say that I am as pleased with Honda Canada's response.

Sounds like you folks in the US are covered by a better warranty than us in Canada eh!

Thanks agian for the info

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hrm, my owners manual says that the emissions and hybrid components are covered to 130,000 kms. However, I believe oxygen sensors are excluded.

I don't know if the ECM recall affected 2001s or not, but if it does, and you haven't had it done, I'd get that done. The defective ECMs incorrectly diagnosed codes from the emissions system. When my check engine light came on, it said one of the sensors was bad. When I got the ECM replaced, it said a completely different sensor was bad. The sensor I had to replace (after the ECM recall) was one of the oxygen sensors, but I don't think it was very expensive. There's a few in the car though, and perhaps some are more expensive than others.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmm ok upon a closer look at the PDF warranty download from Honda's web page I have *heated* oxygen sensors as covered under california emissions warranty for 8 80.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very Strange

I had my oil changed at the dealer this week and when I left I noticed the Check Engine light was on. I went back and had them check it out and was told the Oxygen Sensor was bad and that it would be $400. I also have 63k on my 2001 Insight. I had been having sporadic check engine problems a while back until the recall on the ECM. That replacement solved the problem until now. When I asked about the emissions warranty, I was told that that is the computer and the catalytic converter only.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OXYGEN SENSOR

The cost of our vehicle parts sure are outrages. Let's hope that repairs are few and far between (like a Toyota). I paid $50 for a sensor for a Ford and I was outraged at this cost. It resembles a spark plug. Considering the cost of the Insight sensor kit, $400 isn't so out of line for the dealer charge.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Very Strange

"I had been having sporadic check engine problems a while back until the recall on the ECM. That replacement solved the problem until now."

Does anyone have any details on this recall? I cannot seem to find any information about it. Up to now neither the dealership nor Honda have notified me about an ECM recall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Update:

Just thougth I'd let you know that the dealership replaced the oxygen sensor (and heater assy). Interestingly, the car runs much, much smoother than it ever had previously. In the past I had mentioned more than a few times that the car would feel 'rough' at cruising speeds and would sometimes 'shudder'. It almost felt at times that it was misfiring on one cylinder. The dealership always replied that the computer says that "everything checks out ok".

After the O2 sensor assy replacement, my Insight drives like a new car! No more shaking or rough running...
Also, (and perhaps most important of all) my fuel consuption has dropped from 3.8 litres/100 km to 3.2L/100km! (64 mpg vs. 70 mpg). This comparision is based on the same daily 120k commute and same weather conditions.

Best regards and thanks for your previous input
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oxygen Sensor

I wrote last week that my "Check Engine" light came on after an oil change and the dealer said I needed an Oxygen sensor. I got gas yesterday and the light went out! I called the dealer to cancel the part and he said they would keep it in inventory since it may be back. Don't jump to spend the $400 without having it reset or go through a couple of fillups!

P.S. I found documentation on the ECM (and the light switch) recall on the Honda site. After you log in, there is a section for recalls. You put in your VIN number and it lists applicable recalls and whether or not they have been completed on your vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Barry;
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I have replaced the O2 sensor already... but am glad that I did because my Insight is now getting better mileage and runs much smoother (see my last post for further details).

Thanks very much for the info on recalls... I'll check it out.

Hope your 'check engine' light stays off this time!

Best regards,
Steve

·
Registered
700 Posts
Re: Oxygen Sensor

BarryS said:
... I got gas yesterday and the light went out! I called the dealer to cancel the part and he said they would keep it in inventory since it may be back. Don't jump to spend the $400 without having it reset or go through a couple of fillups!...
Exactly. And make sure the gas cap is on tight (at least 3 clicks), as a loose fit will cause a code and a CEL.

Hope it stays off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts