Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I replaced all 20 cells on my 2000 insight 5 speed about 3 months ago. Got them from a battery dude with a good rep. I also bypassed the PCT strips with a 22 ohm resistor on his advice. Everything ran perfectly for 3 months, now it has gotten a P 1449 code when going up a steep hill. did this twice. Before, when my old battery was failed, I could never verify the fan was working, so I installed a 12v DC brushless motor driver and disconnected the dedicated circuit that was plugged before. When I drive it is usually not too long, an hour or so, I just plug in the plug to the cigarette lighter. Indeed, right away I could hear the fan at stops, where before I never heard the fan run once. looks like it is rotating the same as the Maxxvolts charger when plugged in. it has been really cool out, maybe 60 degrees. Twice when I plug in the Maxx volts grid charger, it starts at 165v and after 2-3 hours it reads 180v and holds there. I know the Maxxvolts voltage indicator could be off from what it really is. The boost has been peppy, and I was feeling great for 3 months. The dealer took awhile to get my cells, as he wanted to give me the best possible cells. I watched the blink codes for an hour over and over to make sure they read correctly. I think the IMA blinky displayed 77 then 87. too bad you cant hook up Alexa and she yells them out to you as she receives. Google, make this for us please. The check engine light displayed a 96 I think, it was really tricky. The resistor circuit looks fine, still measures about 22 ohms, doubt if that is the problem. was going to change the thermistors (4), but they seem fine, measuring about 12k open and dropping to 10k when warmed up. never really heated them too much for fear of damaging. heated, they all measure the same so not sure. my meter is old so those are approx. Nothing seems overly warm in the box, and as I said, the fan is running and it has been really cool. any thoughts would be appreciated. going up the hills it trips it, where it was doing fine up the hills recently. I am going to do the calpod mod switch too, The assist comes into play even when you dont want it. Appreciate you folks, I searched through threads, and came up dry on info here. Thanks Dave

·
7,259 Posts
What do you mean by installed a brushless motor driver? The Insight fan is basically just a standard 12V computer fan. By default, it only comes on when the pack is like 120F+. If you want to run it all the time, just replace the high speed fan relay with a jumper wire.

The P1449 code that is due to temperature is a soft code - meaning it goes away when the condition goes away. Permanent P1449 is always due to battery deterioration - capacity at less than 10%.

Reactions: Insight delights

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, just wanted to be able to plug and unplug the fan so just put in a controller outside of the usual fan circuit. good point about the fan relay. Where is that located? maybe the relay was bad from before. thanks

·
7,259 Posts
The high and low speed fan relays are on the top left of the junction board when looking at it from the front.

Reactions: Insight delights
1 - 4 of 4 Posts