Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting the dreaded P0420 code on my 2001 (M/T) Insight and have been getting noticeably lower mileage for the past few months. Wanted to know what my options are. I'm approaching 260K miles, and am not really aware of much about the car's previous life (don't have the previous owner's contact in any case).

- I know the O2 sensor anti-fouler is a cheap fix, but as far as I'm aware it's only a temporary fix. And if the cats are actually going bad (which they likely are at my mileage) I'll likely have degraded mileage down the road due to increased backpressure (not sure about this, would appreciate some advice.)

- Since it's a 2001, I have to buy the full converter kit, right? Are there any current OEM catalytic converter sources that don't charge the ridiculous prices I'm seeing right now (I'm looking at close to $1700 for parts and that's a little... much for a car worth a lot less than $1k)

- What's the lowdown on getting a converter off a low-mileage car and swapping that in?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
So, I'm getting the dreaded P0420 code on my 2001 (M/T) Insight and have been getting noticeably lower mileage for the past few months. Wanted to know what my options are. I'm approaching 260K miles, and am not really aware of much about the car's previous life (don't have the previous owner's contact in any case).

- I know the O2 sensor anti-fouler is a cheap fix, but as far as I'm aware it's only a temporary fix.
That's because the sensor isn't always the problem.

And if the cats are actually going bad (which they likely are at my mileage) I'll likely have degraded mileage down the road due to increased backpressure (not sure about this, would appreciate some advice.)

- Since it's a 2001, I have to buy the full converter kit, right? Are there any current OEM catalytic converter sources that don't charge the ridiculous prices I'm seeing right now (I'm looking at close to $1700 for parts and that's a little... much for a car worth a lot less than $1k)

- What's the lowdown on getting a converter off a low-mileage car and swapping that in?
I have a 2005 MT car that also had the P0420 code. I'm now using a used 1st cat from a 2001 CVT. It works fine. I'm sure the 2001 car had more mileage on it than mine did at the time.

I didn't have to change any O2 sensors.

·
Super Moderator
5,217 Posts
I've fixed a bunch of P0420 codes with the anti-foulers and never had to fool with any of them again. Try this first.

Sam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts