Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Troubleshooting a P0420 CEL on a 2002 manual.

I'm doing what I can before I just give in and install a spacer on the second O2 sensor. I'm in CA and anxious about someone noticing it during smog visual inspection.

I've done some general maintenance and some why-not/wishful-thinking work (oil change, new air filter, upgraded engine grounds, Cataclean gas additive) but to no apparent benefit. The only previous work I've done on the exhaust/cat is that I've added some straps and some clamps to reduce rattling noises.

Anyhow, I've been using the Torque app to monitor the sensors, and I have two questions.

1) Torque has a "Test Results" feature that returns a bunch of results that seem more specific than the P0420 code. In particular, I get:
Code:
TID: $05 CID:$01
Rich to Lean sensor switch time(calculated)
Min: 1,765
Current: 1,502
Where is this coming from, and is it telling me anything more specific than just the P0420 code?

2) The three O2 sensors are labeled 1x1, 1x2, and 1x3. Does the numeric order correspond with the order in the exhaust system? (1x1 is first, 1x3 is last)? Doing some short drives I see a trend that the first sensor returns about 0.6-.0.7 volts, the second sensor returns around 0.8-0.9 volts, and the third sensor returns around 0.9 volts, and occasionally spikes up to 1.3.

I interpret higher numbers as being "worse". Is this broadly correct? If so, what explains this increasing trend? And are there any signs that I should be considering replacing sensors? (would rather not waste the money if it's unlikely to improve anything)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Because your car is a 2002 you will need to put one spacer on #2 and a stacked pair on #3. If you only put it on #2 you will get a different code.

When you install a spacer in the #2 position it fits down in through the heat shield and is almost not visible. You would likely have to use an inspection mirror to try to see it.

The #3 position is back under the driver seat. Some emissions test places use a mirror on a pole to try to make sure the second catalytic converter is there. They do not put the car on a lift and inspect.

If they were to see them, you would just fail the visual inspection part of the test. There are no guys in the back room of the inspection station with guns and handcuffs to take you away. Take your anxiety medication and install the proper anti-foulers.

Scott

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm having the same p0420 code set and the same rich to lean sensor test flagged in Torque. This issue is on my grandsons 2001 Civic Ex. I'm trying to help him figure out whats wrong. Diyd you fix the problem? If yes, what was tge final resolution?

Can someone point me to more discussion on what the "spacers" are and where to get them please.

Thank you for helping me figure this out.

Regards, Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts