Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My MIL has been coming on and off once per tank of gas for the last 5 tanks. Each one usually clears in 24 hours but this time it's been on for 72.
I picked up a scantool and am getting code P0420. I reset and the P0420 comes back as pending as fast as the first test drive and them the MIL comes on again within 20 miles.
After several resets I've notice a couple of things that I think are odd and might be helpful in the diag.
1. My Freeze Frame Data that is logged with the P0420 error shows the o2 sensor after the cat with a value of "Not Reporting"
2. When I drive with the scantool attached and look at the live data, several times during a 10 minute drive the same o2 sensor looks to be dropping to a 0 reading. Then it bounces back up to around 70%.

I've checked the connections of the offending o2 sensor but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Also another question, are both the o2 sensors on a 2001 the same part/sensor?

Thanks,

Steven
2001 w/100k

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oxygen Sensor P/N's

Hey Steven,

I don't think I can help you diagnosing your problem, since I have a 0420 code popping myself that I'm trying to get resolved :? :

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=5576

You asked about the sensors, though. From online Honda Parts sources and from others here at IC, I learned that these two oxygen sensors are different P/N's. For my 2000, it should be as follows (not sure if same for 2001):

36531-PHM-A01 SENSOR, LAF ("lean air fuel", I think)
36531-PCC-014 SENSOR, OXYGEN

FYI--In a previous thread, Insightful Trekker posted this link describing the LAF sensor :

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enlaf.html

(SIDE NOTE: I just ordered the first one from a Honda dealer in town and they gave me 36531-PHM-A02 (with 4 wires), and they said it supercedes (=is interchangeable with) 36531-PHM-A01 (with 5-6 wires, I think). Not sure why the 2 wires would suddenly no longer be needed... Maybe someone else here can confirm?)

Brad

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to replace the LAF sensor about 4 months ago. This looks to be a new problem.
I purchased the LAF here:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... HAUST+PIPE
The cheapest I found and it's a real Honda part.
The prices for both are the same so I just thought I'd ask because I didn't throw the old one I replaced. Plus, I reseated the 2nd o2 at the connector yesterday and the connection looks like the first o2's connector.

·
Registered
12 Posts
4 wire LAF sensor?

swkass:
when you replaced your LAF sensor 4 months back, do you remember if it had 4 wires or 5-6 wires? Do you remember how many wires the new sensor had?

I ordered 36531-PHM-A01 and the dealer sold me 36531-PHM-A02 (with 4 wires) and they said the A02 was the latest part for my car. My current LAF sensor has 5-6 wires, though.

Has anyone else been confused by this? I'm just not sure why the other 1 or 2 wires would suddenly no longer be needed...I'm debating whether to take back the A02 and/or call another dealer.

thanks,
brad

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
brad,

Wrong part - won't work. :(

And in late 02's and newer, the LAF (primary O2 sensor) IS a 4 wire but is NOT interchangeable with common non LAF type sensors.

AFAIK nor can it be "adapted" to work in place of the eariler 6 wire variety.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
swkass said:
Aaron,
Seriously!? Can you elaborate?
I did order the 2nd O2 two days ago.
That sensor monitors the output of the cats. It can go bad and based on your description has. I had the exact same failure a few years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts