Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Insight team,

Apologies if this is something common, but my search feature wouldn't work on chrome or firefox.

I recently drove my 01 insight from Texas to Florida and about halfway down, the car felt like it lost power, the speedometer went to 00, the check engine light came on, and the car started to jerk around a lot. In addition, the light next to D for drive blinks, regardless of what gear you are in. For example, if it's in park, there is a light on P and a blinking one on D.

The jerking is pretty intermittent, sometimes it drives fine, and other times it feels like you're riding a bull for the PBR association.

Went to autozone and pulled the codes 0500 and P1791 which are both speed sensor issues, but I'm thinking those might be caused by something bigger?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think on this generation of Honda automatics, a flashing D means there's a trans-related code stored. Speedo going to 0 is pretty cut-and-dried IME for a bad output speed sensor. If the input speed sensor is also bad transmission control may go wonky/limp, so it acts weird.

I do agree that both going bad at the same time is unlikely, so maybe it's an electrical problem...clean the grounds as the first line of defense

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which grounds are you suggesting I clean? Apologies... I'm pretty car illiterate.

Also, just found out that my RPM's are going way up, with no change in acceleration (almost like it's in neutral). But then it will go back to normal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Which grounds are you suggesting I clean? Apologies... I'm pretty car illiterate.

Also, just found out that my RPM's are going way up, with no change in acceleration (almost like it's in neutral). But then it will go back to normal.
IIRC there are four ground straps under the hood, somebody posted an image set recently with their locations

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip. I'm in the Bahamas right now, so I can't test it.. but are you thinking the speed sensor would be causing the engine revving and the jerking as well?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed out the speed sensor and...so far... it hasn't jerked, though I've only driven it about 10 miles.

The speed is still reading as zero, and it's hard as all get out to shift into reverse, drive, or park. In addition, the EPS light is on (power steering is working), and the light next to "D" on the dashboard is blinking.

Any ideas on restoring the speedometer or easing the gear shifting?

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
Did you ever check your ground straps?

Sam

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not check the ground straps. I googled and searched youtube for how to do it and wasn't able to find anything. I thought changing the sensor out would also clean the grounds.

Can you point me to how to do that?

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I did not check the ground straps. I googled and searched youtube for how to do it and wasn't able to find anything.
The second hit searching for "ground straps" using the "Google Custom Search" field at the top left of the page shows where one end of each of the 4 engine compartment ground straps is connected (G1-G4). You need to follow each strap to the other end and examine both ends and the strap itself. These straps tend to corrode and break over time causing all sorts of odd electrical problems.

If you're lucky, a bad ground strap or corroded connection is causing your problem. If you're unlucky, your CVT is broken.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The second hit searching for "ground straps" using the "Google Custom Search" field at the top left of the page shows where one end of each of the 4 engine compartment ground straps is connected (G1-G4). You need to follow each strap to the other end and examine both ends and the strap itself. These straps tend to corrode and break over time causing all sorts of odd electrical problems.

If you're lucky, a bad ground strap or corroded connection is causing your problem. If you're unlucky, your CVT is broken.
Sure enough! The bolt for G3 has broken off completely and the ground strap is just floating around. I tried to drill it out though and went through two batteries with an impact drill... My goodness that stuff is solid! Charging the drill batteries tonight and will try to finish the job in the morning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or maybe its G2... Whichever one is down a bit deeper. It's tough to tell from this picture.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is turning out to be more difficult than I thought. My dad is general contractor with some pretty serious impact drills. I went through 4 batteries on one of his drills and was still not able to get through the steel that the strap is grounded to.

Anyone have any alternatives? Soldering would be best but it's impossible to get to with a gun. I was thinking some sort of conductive adhesive might do the trick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok team insight,

I've replaced the groundstrap! But it didn't fix anything :(

My car no longer jerks, but the A/C only blows cold air when I'm decelerating, occasionally the car barely accelerates off the line, and the speedometer still shows double 00's (the good thing is I haven't put a mile on my car in the past month and a half ;-) )

Any more ideas? I took it to a mechanic and they just said it looks like a bad speed sensor, but I just replaced that and it doesn't explain all the other weird issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts