Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news; my 2002 CVT just threw a p1162 an hour ago; the blink code is 48. The ABS also had the blink code 61 but wasn't throwing a light; this link ECU P codes says that code 61 is a primary oxygen sensor; would replacing the LAF/fixing the p1162 get rid of that blink code?

Worse news; I leave for a 5000 mile round trip in two and a half days. I need to get this part in hand by then and, most importantly, put it in myself, preferably.
Two problems with that; I've read that there are two LAF sensors, one before and after the CAT, and I don't know which one needs replacing. Secondly, I don't know where the heck the CAT/LAF sensors are to begin with; haven't been able to find any diagrams/pictures to help me out.

What I need:
° A part number for the LAF I need that I can hopefully find on Amazon to Prime it to my door by tomorrow/Friday.
° Help locating the LAF that I need to replace and maybe a few directions on how to replace it; I've read it's rather simple, though, so as long as I can find where it is...

Chances are some of my info is incorrect from skimming through a dozen or so threads; please forgive my haste. The sooner I can get this fixed the sooner I can sleep easy :D

Thanks MUCH for any help/advice in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm fairly confident I found where the sensors are installed; directly behind the engine, with the top one plugged directly behind the oil intake and pointing to the drivers side, and the bottom one pointing (more or less) directly backwards?
Still don't know which one needs replacing, though :/

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
This isn't the end of the world. Start by clearing the code and see if it comes back. Either disconnect the negative 12V battery cable, or pull the #16 fuse under the hood for about 20 seconds and replace it. If the code doesn't come back you should be OK for your trip.

The primary O2 sensor is the one on top, closest to the engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This isn't the end of the world. Start by clearing the code and see if it comes back. Either disconnect the negative 12V battery cable, or pull the #16 fuse under the hood for about 20 seconds and replace it. If the code doesn't come back you should be OK for your trip.

The primary O2 sensor is the one on top, closest to the engine.
Thanks for the info! I just came back inside from fiddling around with it; thanks to a helpful youtube video I managed to unplug the sensor and check the resistance between the two negative terminals; 1.9/2.0 ohms (multi-meter set to 200). as far as I can tell, that means the heating element is intact?
I went ahead and pulled the 12v terminal while I was at it.

I can't help but feel I should order a replacement now anyhow; waiting to see if it throws again is a bit worrisome knowing I'll be driving 5k miles.

At the very least, for reference/confirmation for my '02 CVT, the replacement for the primary would be 36531-PHM-A51?

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts