Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 10/10/2005 I became the third owner of a 2001 Honda Insight w/75K miles for ~$11.5K. I had the local Honda dealer check it out and everything seemed to be OK; since I need a hybrid for carpool lane access and this was just about the only Insight in a 400 mile radius I jumped at the deal. My initial mileage was orignally about 55MPG city+freeway and the best I could get was 60MPG on a one-way freeway trip.

On 11/12/2005 the check engine light (CEL) came on; I took the car to the dealer and for $63 he pulled the code (P1164) and cleared it. After a little troubleshooting he couldn't get the light to come on and offered to look at it again should the problem resurface.

On 12/29/2005 the light came on again; the dealer suggested we replace the LAF and I agreed. He ordered the part and I started researching the P1164 code and, after a little reading on the forum, was terrified that I was in for a world of hurt in terms of repairs and trips to the dealer.

On 01/07/2006 (when the part arrived) I took some printouts of the forum postings to the dealer and asked him to do a little research. We were able to find out that one of the previous owners of the car had the ECM replaced as part of the original recall and that the catalytic converters had never been touched. We also found that, even though a 5-year/100K mile extended warranty had been purchased on the car from HondaCare, (a) the warranty had never been transferred to the second owner (or to myself) and that (b) had it been transferred it would have expired on 12/15/2005. At this point it didn't seem like I had much of a choice but to have the car fixed. I wasn't sure about getting the part myself ('SilverSurfer' had a problem with the Denso part 'Tuna1' recommended here, though after the fact) so I decided to go ahead. I asked the dealer if he would cover the cost of new catalytic converters or O2 sensor if that ended up being the problem; he didn't seem very willing to agree but rather asked that we take things one step at a time. Since our family has done business with them before I wasn't *too* worried...

I ultimately ended up spending ~$350 on parts & labor to have the LAF replaced. I've since put about 13K miles on the car and the CEL hasn't come on again. I'm not knoweldgeable enough to say if I just dodged a bullet or what but my inkling is that not *ALL* P1164 codes are a harbinger of costly repairs to come.

I'm currently running on the post-recall ECM, new LAF, and ~95K miles. Now that I've learned to drive the car with a very light foot I can coax the mileage up to an average 63MPG with my best one-way trip from San Jose to Concord, CA yielding almost 75MPG. I'm pretty happy with the car and just wanted to share my experience. I think a P1164 code, while expensive to remedy, my not be as bad as it seems from reading the posts on this forum; just my $.02

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Thanks for the clearly documented experience. It helps to have a decent dealer.

Sounds like you're LAFing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
honda dealer

Was the concord honda that you were dealing with? I was wondering because when I got a new key over there ( see my posting in this forum)
they seemed pretty knowledgable. I'm in walnut creek, and wondering
if I should switch to over there.

Regards, Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, Concord Honda...

I bought a new '00 Honda Civic Si from there when the dealership was being remodeled (back then the sales offices were trailers). I never had any complaints about their service department's level of knowledge of our Hondas; never had any experience with the Walnut Creek dealership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts