Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 Honda Insight EX body style 155,000 Miles. Bought used in 2014 with 55,000 miles. IMA & CEL on if driven too long then Battery light also comes on. Code P1448. Tried grid charger and shows battery has full charge will drive great for 10-30 miles then lights come on again. IMA Battery charge drops fast but charges again. If driven too long and IMA/CEL lights on will stop showing charging in charge/assist info left of gauges but will show the "car" icon charging the "battery" icon along with the "gas" icon and "battery" level low/medium/full charge and working properly in info center. New 12v battery installed within past 4 mos. Everything points to bad IMA Battery. Looking to buy a new battery and do a DIY install. I am having trouble finding written or video on how to install IMA battery. Does anyone have any info on installing a new battery? Help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
What grid charger did you use?

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
The fan is working you can hear it run
That is not conclusive.

Is that during charging or during driving? Driving for 30 minutes before an IMA light is easily the amount of time needed for the battery to heat to the point that the fan is powered on by the car. Car commands fan on, but it doesn't get feedback. Code.

Did you check the grid charger harness as I recommended? Are all the connections intact? You have a piece of hardware between the car and the fan. You need to lay eyes and hands on it. Period.

The HA fan harness is pass-through. It will drive it even if the car can't. It just depends on the connections and circuitry being intact. If any of the four connections on the car side are broken, the grid charger will still run the fan, but the car won't.

Inspect the harness. If you have any broken wires or loose connections, you have a problem. If you find nothing, completely remove the fan harness from the circuit to restore the car to original. If the code goes away, put the harness back on. If it comes back, it's the harness.

If the code comes back w/o the harness installed, then you need to conduct the diagnostics outlined in the link I provided.

I have seen ONE HA harness that had a broken connection in exactly this fashion.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Also, look at the build date in the door sticker. If early in the model year, it may need the software updates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P1448

I will check harness. Yes all software updates were done confirmed with local Honda Dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is not conclusive.

Is that during charging or during driving? Driving for 30 minutes before an IMA light is easily the amount of time needed for the battery to heat to the point that the fan is powered on by the car. Car commands fan on, but it doesn't get feedback. Code.

Did you check the grid charger harness as I recommended? Are all the connections intact? You have a piece of hardware between the car and the fan. You need to lay eyes and hands on it. Period.

The HA fan harness is pass-through. It will drive it even if the car can't. It just depends on the connections and circuitry being intact. If any of the four connections on the car side are broken, the grid charger will still run the fan, but the car won't.

Inspect the harness. If you have any broken wires or loose connections, you have a problem. If you find nothing, completely remove the fan harness from the circuit to restore the car to original. If the code goes away, put the harness back on. If it comes back, it's the harness.

If the code comes back w/o the harness installed, then you need to conduct the diagnostics outlined in the link I provided.

I have seen ONE HA harness that had a broken connection in exactly this fashion.
I had similar issues as the OP, which were solved by removing the HA fan harness. Hybrid Automotive customer service is great; they tested it and sent a new one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was pressed for time yesterday and did not get a chance to get a good look at the harness for the grid charger. I did however, disconnect it and reconnect the fan to the car. Drove for 90 miles yesterday without an issue and can hear fan running as it should (left rear of car disassembled for now). All systems working properly. No lights in dash, no codes even in history, all cleared. After the weekend I plan on taking a closer look at the charger harness and plugging it back into charger to see if throws code again.
Thank you for taking the time to explain more in depth what I needed to look at/do. I am no mechanic and know less of electrical workings, but I can follow directions pretty well. Single mom here just trying to avoid extensive ($$) repairs. I really appreciate the help. I was convinced it was the battery failing and ready to replace it. Fingers crossed!

clahy -- didn't realize I had 2 accounts on here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was pressed for time yesterday and did not get a chance to get a good look at the harness for the grid charger. I did however, disconnect it and reconnect the fan to the car. Drove for 90 miles yesterday without an issue and can hear fan running as it should (left rear of car disassembled for now). All systems working properly. No lights in dash, no codes even in history, all cleared. After the weekend I plan on taking a closer look at the charger harness and plugging it back into charger to see if throws code again.
Thank you for taking the time to explain more in depth what I needed to look at/do. I am no mechanic and know less of electrical workings, but I can follow directions pretty well. Single mom here just trying to avoid extensive ($$) repairs. I really appreciate the help. I was convinced it was the battery failing and ready to replace it. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Gently tug on the harness wires where they go into the connectors and the box. You may find one is detached.

If it's detached in the box, IIRC, you can reattach that yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, that was short lived. Drove 20/30 miles today. Didn't notice fan running/not running. IMA CEL & Battery lights all came on at the same time. Pulled codes only one P1634. Checked IMA fuses and fuse #53 was blown. Should I still do the troubleshooting for the IPU fan Module? Or am I looking at an entirely different problem? Any suggestions would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know. I don't have access to a G2 Insight service manual. I would replace the fuse and see if it repeats.

The HCH2 has an issue where a failing IPU fan can cause a fuse to blow. You may be looking at a similar situation.

Should be able to pick up a salvage yard fan for not too much money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just realized I never posted a status to this issue or a thank you for your help. It was the IPU fan module and I found one at a salvage yard. Mounted it and plugged it in and issue resolved. Replaced the fuse under dash that kept blowing. All lights out and no issue since. Thank you for all you help and again my apology for the lack of update.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Valid points- my 2012 insight UK import required the 4 software updates ( previous owner or her honda garage never hooked the car up 🤔) car now running like a dream as it should,better mpg,no force charging/ holds charge longer/etc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts