Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my IMA and got a check engine light along with it. Reading the code I see P1449, Battery Module Overheating. I haven't had a chance to do any trouble shooting as yet but wonder if anyone else has seen this problem. The car is a 2000, 5 speed. Before I got the code I noticed that I couldn't get full assist when flooring the throttle. I have another Insight, a 2001 model, so I have something to go by. When the IMA light came on I noticed that I suddenly had full charge on the battery pack but no assist.

I love these cars and I have four of them now, 2-CVT and 2-5 Speeds.

Rick Lewis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I'll check this out. The car is from Oklahoma and it was very dirty and dusty everywhere I've work. I can only hope this is the problem. After reading the codes I could not reset. Do you think it will reset itself after I clean the duct work out? If not, how could I reset this light without going to the dealer?

This is an area of the Insight I had hoped I would never have to work on even though electronics is my expertise.

Rick Lewis

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
If the dust is thick enough it may need to be removed from the inside of the IMA case (done it myself on my car, accident damage). No way to reset a code and not also cause an IMA reset (forced charge) without a scan tool. I could help there too. :) Else simply disconnect the 12v for about 1 min and its a done deal.

If you'd like some help PM me and we'll set-up a time. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John, I reset the code by removing the battery and all cleared. The Honda representative, in California, told me that it sounds like I have a soft IMA battery. When I got home from work I put a meter on the battery pack and did a force charge, went up to 180 volts before shutting down. I then took the car for a test drive and all was well for a short while. I could get full assist now and the charging section is working perfectly. After a while of driving and forcing full assist, I could watch the battery voltage drop and charge. Then it would drop out of assist as before. The battery just doesn't seen to have much capacity anymore. As you know, the control module will not allow the battery to discharge below 20% and I can get there way to fast with only a few forced full assist's. I saw the battery drop down to 118 or so volts once, and of course lost motor assist. The battery would charge up again after a short drive and once again I could obtain full assist.
By the way, the state of charge indicator on the dash is a very poor indicator of the battery's condition as it only dropped a couple of bars during this test.
If the dealer won't replace the batteries free, and I don't exspect them to with 121,400 miles of this 2000 model Insight, I will be looking into finding a cheaper replacement for this pack. I will keep everyone informed on this as I know others will run into this at some point.

Rick Lewis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts