Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, that code. It'll be moot when I eventually convert to LTO, but that's looking like a long road and I was hoping for some minimal IMA functionality in the meantime. The IMA started the car on camera for me a few days before I bought it from a fellow member, but now it's coding and unresponsive. The car has a grid charger built in, with no volt meter on it. I ran it for about 36hours, and watched the wattage the charger pulled decline till it leveled off at 20w. Pulled the IMA and ECM fuses, put them back, turned on the key. The IMA battery bars filled up, but then it coded again and started on the 12v. Am I missing something, or is the battery just totally FUBAR from sitting?

Also, anyone recognize this grid charger?

·
Super Moderator
8,857 Posts
Never saw anything like that. It almost looks like a lab supply of some sort. Hopefully it would be a Constant Current supply at something like 300-400mA. You could put an ammeter in the output line and measure the output current.

It is kinda conventional wisdom that poor batteries need to be cycled, both charged and discharged. Does your cooling fan run while you charge?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I'm getting a P1448 too.

There's a switch on the charger labeled 350/700/1050, I'm assuming this is a DIY job using CC LED drivers. I had been running it on the lowest setting since I'd read somewhere around here that the cells can take an overcharge at that rate and balance out. I think I hear the cooling fan run while I charge, but it's hard to hear over the turbines in the charger...

·
Super Moderator
8,857 Posts
Most of the chargers marketed use a simple one rate charge at 300-350 mA. The more sophisticated Genesis(now HybridRevolt) does use a two rate charge, but it cuts back to 350 for the long "soak" part of the cycle. iirc the theory has been that that part of cycle needs to be low CC.

P1448 is "Battery Module Overheating." This is the reason I ask about the fan. You can read about it here:

Which comes from this ref:

Grid charging doesn't work indefinitely. At some point a cell just gives up:(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like I should probably just give up on playing with the NiMH pack at all and focus entirely on going LTO. ¯\(ツ)

·
Super Moderator
8,857 Posts
I did ;)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,333 Posts
BUT.....you still haven't got it worked out, have you?
How long you been working on it?

·
Super Moderator
8,857 Posts
BUT.....you still haven't got it worked out, have you?
How long you been working on it?
It's a fair question. I've been refining my installation for about 3 years - now on V3.0 awaiting instillation. But, I've had a well operating IMA all that time. I probably would have gone through a Chinese NiMH battery in the same time.

Conversions certainly aren't for everyone. All the previous ones have been diy projects which aren't within the skill level of all owners. I have actually enjoyed my conversion work, and I'm still not finished. I have an Orion BMS to install.

Fortunately we seem to have now arrived at a point with the Gen3 packs where a near drop-in is apparently going to happen. There is lots of evidence that Lithium pack are more reliable than NiMH, particularly in the Gen1.

To each his own;)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Put a small piece of paper behind the passenger vent and see if it sticks to the vent next time you charge the car that’s a good way to tell if the fan is working.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
I think I'd open up the IMA compartment and verify that the charger is hooked-up properly, particularly the fan connection. My first take was that you probably have an unresponsive cell, having done such a long grid charge and still ending up with a P1449. But, your subsequent P1448, the weirdness of that charger, lack of details in the sequence of problems, etc. make it hard to know what's up... The minimum enable temp for that P1448 is 131 degrees F - I find it hard to believe your pack could reach that temp with the grid charge, especially if the fan were working, plus, there's other enabling conditions, like minimum RPM of 1500, that make it seem like you're not going to get that code if your car is just sitting, grid charging, even if the temp is high... Something's fishy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sooo I cleared the codes, then checked codes again... that p1448 popped right back up (along with the 1449). I can hear the IMA fan running, it was less than 60F outside, and I had not been charging or running the car. There's no reason there should have been any heat in the pack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts