Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am the original owner of a 2000 MT Insight, 193K with the pack replaced under warranty at 100K. No other major work or accidents in its wonderful lifespan...56.8 LMPG.
While on the highway (going 65mph!) I suddenly lost power. Pressing the accelerator only revved the engine. :!:
Thankfully I was able to make it to the shoulder, drifting to a stop. There was a faint burning smell in the cabin, and the engine seemed to be very hot under the hood.
The car would not start, only click click click when you turned the key.
Eventually I had it towed home, and discovered the ground straps had snapped. I replaced them all, and then the engine would start and rev once again! Unfortunately, when you put it in any gear and give it gas...it would still only rev and not actually move. The dreaded IMA light was on.
After hooking up an obd reader, I found I was getting the p1565 commutation error. I tried resetting it with unplugging the 12v battery, but no luck the error p1565 and IMA light still appeared.
Per the posts on IC, I ordered old part pulls (careful to get the MT matched pair) and went into the pack to replace both the MCM and BCM. However, I still get revving only and no torque when in gear. So frustrated I can start my baby but she won't move, even with the pack "off".
I am now at a loss as to what to try next. I am not savvy enough to go into the gear box and check the 3 actual commutation sensors (if that is the issue). Given there was that 'slight burning smell' I might have lost something else electrical that I will never be able to track down such as a popped capacitor (but I did check and the fuses are ok). :-?
Any advice from the gurus on IC is welcome!

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
A disintegrated clutch could cause your symptoms. If the clutch disc or pressure plate disintegrated, a piece could have damaged one or more of the commutators. Without a functioning clutch, the engine would not move the car forward or backward.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Art might have nailed it

Other possibilities… one of your CV joints snapped, but there would be BIG mechanical noises if that let go on the FWY ( still worth a look ).

Not sure if the clutch grenaded, or you lost a transmission internal…

Anyway you slice it it's not a 5 minute fix.
I assume you do not have a lift to get the car in the air?
I assume the car still rolls freely?

I wouldn't try to run the engine till this is sussed out.

Mike

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Unfortunately, when you put it in any gear and give it gas...it would still only rev and not actually move.
Are you even sure you are in gear? Could the shifter cable be broken and you might be stuck in neutral? Could a drive axle or it's CV joint have snapped? Was the transmission or clutch acting strange before this happened.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Or the suspension has shifted (lower control arm?) and the CV has pulled out of it's socket.

Other possibilities… one of your CV joints snapped, but there would be BIG mechanical noises if that let go on the FWY ( still worth a look ).

Not sure if the clutch grenaded, or you lost a transmission internal…

Anyway you slice it it's not a 5 minute fix.
I assume you do not have a lift to get the car in the air?
I assume the car still rolls freely?

I wouldn't try to run the engine till this is sussed out.

Mike

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dead clutch maybe ?

Thanks to all for the quick response and info! The clutch (maybe it was just the cable) was replaced around 90K miles, and the gearbox is the original. In recent years I have had some difficulty getting into 2nd gear, and I had to be cautious to never downshift into 2nd. Other than that the car was regularly well maintained and I had no other transmission issues.
When the incident happened, I was in 5th and cruising. Today I can engage the clutch to the floor and it feels normal and has tension to it. When I place it in any of the gears, it 'sticks' but I guess that is no guarantee that I am actually 'in gear'.
Unfortunately I do not have a lift to get under the car; however in neutral it rolls freely (which helped with all the towing).
As for the post about the CV joints, there were no pops or mechanical noises when it died on the highway. I had read Peter's thread about the commutation sensors...that is above my level of skill and I am not sure I could get that far without causing more harm than good. Perhaps the p1565 error is a secondary issue resulting from the dead clutch as Art suggested.
So whether it is the clutch, CV joint, gearbox, plus the commutation sensors I am facing the possible end of the road for my Insight! I do have a neighbor that is a mechanic (although he is not savvy with hybrids and thought I was mental going into the pack) and I will see if he can check the clutch and cv joint. I will report back with more info later in the week when I can catch him.
Thanks to all again!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would think if the clutch " grenaded " there would be a noise with that as well....
The OP states there was NO NOISE.... So I have to ask these question ( and you must be accurate with the response or say I dont know or remember )

1) Clutches TYPICALLY ( on this size power plant )The OE factory clutches do not " grenade " they wear out.. and loose contact between the flywheel and the pressure plate ( unless is was a REALLY cheap ***" RACING " clutch ) Did you have any signs of silppage prior to this? ...

2) You were driving.. and under power. Did you shift and THEN no power??

The is no clutch " cable ". The system is hydraulic... the shift linkage ( to go from gear to gear ) is on cables.

I'm just thinking out loud here.. is it " possible " that the throw out fork is stuck in the disengage position from the slave cylinder malfunctioning ( stuck full foward )

·
Registered
206 Posts
Engine runs, won't move.

Sounds to me like you have a broken axle, I've seen several break in the last month. Probably the passenger side, the one with the stabilizer on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
re reading

Do you have 193K on the original clutch??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
p1565 and IMA, engin starts but no movement

Once again thanks for more input and interest in my issue! I forgot that the clutch is hydraulic, and yes it was replaced completely with OEM parts by the dealer at around 90K.

In the recent years leading up to the incident, I was having a tough time getting into 2nd...meaning I had to keep the clutch in and really make sure I was in the gear before giving it gas or it would make that horrible stripping noise. When I asked the dealer about this, they suggested "the gearbox" but I was not in a financial position to investigate further. Again, I just tried to avoid downshifting into 2nd and was cautious with my shifting.

However, when the issue happened I was already in 5th and going about 65mph. The only other item I remember in the 45 minutes of highway driving leading up to the trouble was the struggle to get power...similar to when you are climbing a steep hill and the Assist is working overtime, even though I was on a flat stretch of road. It seemed like I could not go any faster than 60-65 (not that I was on the Autobahn or anything)!
Also I had not shifted when the power died...and I do not recall a pop or noise that accompanied the sudden power loss. All of a sudden I went from full power in 5th to no power at all and when you pressed the gas, just the engine revving.

It was a frightening experience (at night no less)! The brakes worked, and I still had the ability to turn on the hazards and drift to a stop on the shoulder. Lucky for me traffic was not too heavy!

I should also mention there were no parts that had fallen off nor any liquids leaking under the car. The roadside assistance guy attempted a jump (using the chassis for the negative) and still no luck, just the click, click, click when you turned the key. I think the engine not turning over was a result of the ground straps breaking, which I did repair later.

Perhaps the combination of the ground straps going, the worn down 2nd gear, and the aging clutch and gearbox was the perfect storm to kill me while in motion like that. I had not hit any potholes or hazards, so hopefully the axle is not broken. I will still catch my mechaninc friend, and ask him if he can check a few of these items. I will report back when I have more info.
Thanks IC members!!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
When I bought my car it had a commutation sensor problem. In my case a spring from the clutch had came loose, bounced around behind the flywheel, and damaged the sensors. The clutch was working ok at the time. That being said, from everything I read on here, wiring issues are just as common for that error and you don't have to pull the transmission to troubleshoot the wiring. So, whether you do it yourself or not, that's the best place to start.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So if I understand

103K on 2nd clutch
clutch just let go
I'll bet it just wore out...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts