Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I have a citric insight that only needed a clutch replacement. The clutch was bad and slipping at the time it was replaced. No issues with IMA, grid charger maintained etc.

The shop that did the work saw the IMA light and check engine light immediately after putting the transmission back in. It comes on with code p1565 immediately - no use of IMA to start etc. No change after disconnecting battery.

The shop is telling me it is something internal and that 'there is no way they pinched wires, no way they broke or impacted anything, etc. Other shops that know the car are saying it is easy to pinch wires etc.

The issue is that the clutch was slipping a lot by the time I got it repaired - it went fairly quickly. I know the IMA was working when I got the car to the shop.

What is your experience with this kind of thing? Is it possible the person repairing the car screwed up the sensors or is that hard to do during a clutch replacement?

For example, He said he scrubbed and cleaned the flywheel. Is it possible while scrubbing the flywheel he screwed up / damaged the sensors?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i haven't gotten in there to see what the motor looks like but if you read around, the IMA motor itself is about the most bulletproof part of the car.

make sure the ground straps got put back on the transmission from the chassis, maybe they don't realize the importance of those.... also be sure they put the IMA connections back in the proper locations, not sure if they can be swapped around but if so i could imagine that'd cause something like this.

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
When doing a clutch/pulling the transmission he pretty much had to unplug the sensors. I would inspect that plug first.

Did the mechanic unhook the high volt cables on the top of the electric motor? It is not necessary to do so, however if he did there might be a chance of a problem there.

As far as just scuffing the surface of the fly wheel or cleaning it it shouldn't cause an issue, however, the ends of the sensors are right behind the flywheel.
If the flywheel was actually removed and or the commutation ring on the back was removed from the car for cleaning and the bolts were not properly tightened then there could be a problem with the ring or bolts hitting the sensors.

HTH,
Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I can not find any diagrams that show those plug locations and I am not a mechanic. I am giving him a chance to check it out himself which should be done today. But, can you point me to the diagram that shows where that plug is?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
this page will help give you an initial rundown of where the commutation sensors are, they're on the backside of the transmission, more or less pointing toward the driver.

InsightCentral.net - Encyclopedia - Honda Insight IMA Motor

it's all loomed bright orange in large convolute tubing, i don't know how it'd be possible to mash the wiring while putting the transmission back in. it's more feasable that somehow the engine slipped off their cradle and yanked that wiring.

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,067 Posts
a blown clutch can do it. That material will catch on the back of the flywheel like seaweed on a propeller and destroy those sensors. I bought an Insight with a a replaced clutch, and the mechanic hadn't even bothered to clean out the shredded clutch material. You need replacement sensors.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
a blown clutch can do it. That material will catch on the back of the flywheel like seaweed on a propeller and destroy those sensors. I bought an Insight with a a replaced clutch, and the mechanic hadn't even bothered to clean out the shredded clutch material. You need replacement sensors.

that would likely have shown up prior to taking the car in for the clutch job.

·
Administrator
12,441 Posts
Assuming everything is plugged in correctly and this code has just started after they refitted the transmission.
It sounds simply like they have damaged the sensors behind the flywheel :(

It will have to come out again to inspect them or the wires.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You or they need to troubleshoot the electrical connections just to be sure it's not a loose wire, but after that, the transmission, clutch, and flywheel will need to be removed to change out the sensors. Last I checked the sensors are about $300 new online. I would suggest finding them used to save money as, although they can get damaged pretty easy by debris, they don't typically wear out due to age/use.

I wonder if it's be possible to see the damage by snaking a camera into the area from the clutch arm opening. It'd be really difficult if you could as the sensors sit almost touching the plate that's attached to the back of the flywheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts