Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light popped on today going up a steep hill in very hot weather. It immediately felt different. No autostop, regen or assist lights, SOC gauge blank after stopping and restarting, otherwise seems to drive fine but didn't drive the same, like easier to keep in lean burn and not sure I'm getting regen braking. But still seemed to get assist and I guess regen and about the same mpgs.

Stopped at autozone on the way home and they read codes P1644 and P1444. (After restarting the SOC gauge went blank.)

Just put a new battery in from bumblebee a couple weeks ago.

From what I can gather on the forum . . .
P1644 error is a MOTFSA Signal Malfunction, Motor Assist Fail Safe..either a short in the wire from the ECM to connector A of the MCM or a bad ECM? or no communication between the mcm and the ecm? Seems like there are a number of things to check there: fuses, grounds, continuity, ECM.

P1444 IMA High Voltage Short Circuit -- leakage between the High Voltage side of the IMA system and the car chassis! Could be a problem with the battery pack!

I'm really not that smart about these cars and know even less about electricity in general.

I'm wondering of anyone with more knowledge and experience would be able to diagnose the likely problem with these two codes together.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad Battery?

P1444 is typically a vented cell that has shorted to the PTC circuit.
So I gather. This is a new battery from bumblebee. Should I ask them to replace it?

I didn't get an IMA light, just the check engine plus P1644.

The battery I replaced had an IMA light with a 56 blink code, which indicates the same problem as a P1444. I stopped driving it right away so as not to damage the bcm.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I missed that part. I would not expect a new battery to leak. It's even less likely given that you had a previous P1444, which may suggest another source. Additionally, IIRC, the PTC circuit is bypassed with a resistor on the BB packs, i.e., there is no PTC circuit to which vented cells can short.

Check with Bumblebee.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I missed that part. I would not expect a new battery to leak. It's even less likely given that you had a previous P1444, which may suggest another source. Additionally, IIRC, the PTC circuit is bypassed with a resistor on the BB packs, i.e., there is no PTC circuit to which vented cells can short.

Check with Bumblebee.
That's True. I have another insight with a year-old battery. I'm thinking of swapping the batteries just to see. Then maybe the ecm, though I'm not exactly sure which one that is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem maybe solved

I started troubleshooting this morning by checking the fuses and found #24 IMA 7.5 amp fuse under the dash blown. So I replaced it with a good fuse and started the car up and everything was normal. Let the car idle a little bit and then drove it around long enough to recalibrate the SOC gauge and so far everything seems a ok. I haven't reset the codes or anything. (I read somewhere over the last few days that the car will reset after three normal cycles (?)). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Now I'm just concerned what might have blown the fuse. Not that I worry or anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts