Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 insight and the tires on it need to be replaced soon.
So far I only found two tires in p165/65/r14 size and I'd not use a different ratio. On my limited number of days driving, I don't like the factory bridgestone much, but I have not idea on the Federal brand on I found below.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=R-133855&dsco=35

Anybody used this tire before?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi 2000redinsight and welcome to the forums :!: :)

Sorry, but from what has been reported in the forums that's not a tire that any Insighter is familiar with. Just remember that all tires (so far reported) other than the OEM Bridgestones have an MPG penalty 10% +-, with a benefit of a smoother ride.

Its yor car and choice :!: :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
2000redinsight said:
Anybody knows who made Federal tires?
apparently they are their own company.....I Googled 'Federal Tires' and some people swear by them -- apparently they very good drifting tires with long treadwear -- but some people don't like them compared to Kuhmo and the like....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Having a long treadwear in drifting conditions means they don't grip :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bagwell said:
2000redinsight said:
Anybody knows who made Federal tires?
apparently they are their own company.....I Googled 'Federal Tires' and some people swear by them -- apparently they very good drifting tires with long treadwear -- but some people don't like them compared to Kuhmo and the like....
I found the spec here.
http://www.federaltire.com/en/images/datasheet/070518101057_specSS657.html

The165/65R14 tires are rated 36PSI max. cold pressure. Is that enough for insight? I believe the factory has 39psi for rear tires. What the rating on factory Bridgestone?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Those specs only lists 165/60R14, so it looks like it's not available in the Insight size of 165/65R14.
It's a low quality tire by todays standards when it lists a max cold pressure rating of 36 psi the RE92 OEM Insight tire is rated for 44 psi. The load rating of the Federal tire is 75 when the RE92 tire is rated at 78.
Buying the Federal tire would be a step down in safety and performance.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, on the right of their web page, there is a scroll bar. I scroll it down to find 65 ration tires.

Guillermo said:
Those specs only lists 165/60R14, so it looks like it's not available in the Insight size of 165/65R14.
It's a low quality tire by todays standards when it lists a max cold pressure rating of 36 psi the RE92 OEM Insight tire is rated for 44 psi. The load rating of the Federal tire is 75 when the RE92 tire is rated at 78.
Buying the Federal tire would be a step down in safety and performance.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ok thanks for that.
Now I see they have 165/65R14 and the load rating of 79 is slighter higher then the 78 of the RE92.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well-
I had a blow out on the freeway saturday, and that was pretty exciting when there is not place to "pull over". I picked up a bunch of staples on three tires, one blew. Since the staples are in the sidewall, time to go. I see that discount tire will sell the $29 federal tire to me, but I am going for the factory tires at honda. Any suggestions while I do this? It looks like $89 each mountd and balanced.
bh

·
Registered
21 Posts
Free advice

Here is some free advice that I learned the hard way. Feel free to learn from my mistakes.

When it comes to brakes and tires, never skimp on quality. If you have to borrow the money from a friend, a parent, a sibling, or a bank, then do it. There is no worse feeling in the world than saving a couple of bucks on tires, only to learn when you are sliding into the car in front of you that all tires are not created equal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
roger that. quality is remembered long after price is forgotten. Thanks. I am comfortable with the factory tire decision. By the way, have you lloked at your spare? What a beautiful thing it is. A hub that would look good on the mantle, or on a high end car (albeit a little small). What a jewel. Plus, when I changed the tire my wife was impressed that I could lift the car with my hands by twisting the jack screw. Not something you can do on most american vehicles with their piece of [email protected] jacks. This is a very well made and thought out little car. The more I look at things on it, the more I am impressed. QUALITY ENGINEERING!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts