Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was driving alongside a Prius just before dawn. I could see the speedodometer and noticed the Prius' readout was about 0.5 mph faster than mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe one of you has nonstock size tires on your car?.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Could be that one or the other's speedo just was calibrated differently. Actually, only half a mile an hour difference isn't too much, Car & Driver did an article some time back and some speedo's on cars without modifications showed a deviation of +/- 10 mph at 65 mph, so either both that particular Prius and Insight are pretty close to on or are deviating in a similar fashion. Usually speedo deviation becomes more apparent at higher speeds, where the percentage error is magnified (10% error at 10mph might show 11mph, where the same error would be showing 66mph at a true 60mph).

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were going 61-62 mph.

My tires replaced the OEM ones.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big D Insightman: This was on eastbound I635 and Josey, just east of I35E.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I would say that 0.5 difference reading at that speed is all within the margin for error. You could also argue that the actual difference was only 0.25, in case yours was rounding down and his was rounding up due to system rounding.

I just realized, ours don't read in 1/2 mph increments.

How did you read a 0.5 mph differential?

Does the Prius read in 0.5 mph increments?

Maybe you were going the same 60.4999 and your Insight rounded it to the nearest integer which was 60 and he was going 60.4999 as well and his Prius rounded it to 60.50 and you were going exactly the same speed to the .0001 mph?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a guess. Earlier when I was going 51 mph, the Prius read 52.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Delta Flyer: We should get all of the other Dallas area insighters to meet up some time?. Maybe at a restaurant or something. Maybe on a saturday afternoon.Those that are married (like me) could bring they spouses?. We live in the Walnut Hill + Midway area.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The Insight display reads less than your actual speed. You can check your car by measuring it against a GPS or the mile markers along the interstate. My car overestimates speed by approximately 1.5%. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Our Insight speedo is always 1 mph slower than GPS speed... I would think billions of our tax dollars for sats and technology would be more accurate than a $100 speedo... but I agree with Rick, Big D, Delta and Hambone. Measurements vary somewhat... :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts