Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 years of ownership, I kept thinking something looks missing when I looked at the engine bay. Turns out it was missing the engine cover. I found a cover on eBay and ordered it. Then I painted it with VHT red wrinkle finish engine enamel. I think it looks way better than it did before.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
At first, before the picture popped up, I thought what in the Sam Hill?! But that looks like it should have been there from the start. Good job. Does it look as good as that in person?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and it actually looks better in person than in the pic. Two of my friends think it looks factory.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That does look cool. The bright red is sort of advertising the huge powerful engine!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That's so silly, painting the engine cover... Why, I can't imagine anyone doing that. Let me click on the photo and enlarge it...

[Click]

Hmmmmmm... Hey, never mind... That looks very, very nice...

[Thinks about it]

Hmmmmmm... Maybe I better go look at mine.

[Goes to garage]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

·
Super Moderator
1,527 Posts
I’ve done one of mine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Very cool - Citrous!!

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Although I'm not a fan of the cover (I don't use it), both of these look pretty darn cool. I'd consider the red for my valve cover...

Then I painted it with VHT red wrinkle finish engine enamel...
Is there/do you have a more specific color name and/or number? I looked for this on amazon and there's a few different reds to choose from.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VHT high heat wrinkle finish red
VHT high heat primer underneath
I scuffed the cover up first with sandpaper then gave it two coats of primer.
Then three coats of red.
I ended up getting my paint at Orielly’s auto parts. They only had black in the store but could order red and have it overnight. I threw the cam away or I’d get you the number off the can.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I take my insight and enter it in the display of classic and muscle cars at the monthly Somernites Cruise-in in Somerset, Ky. It’s a huge show brining hundreds of cars every month. Most are classic muscle cars so the Insight looks very out of place but they have a Special Interest car, low production car category, and that’s what gets me in. I did this painted engine cover mod because the car needed to be a little slicked-up in the engine bay to be more presentable. The cars on display usually have the hood propped up so you can see a modified or super clean engine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I take my insight and enter it in the display of classic and muscle cars at the monthly Somernites Cruise-in in Somerset, Ky. It’s a huge show brining hundreds of cars every month. Most are classic muscle cars so the Insight looks very out of place but they have a Special Interest car, low production car category, and that’s what gets me in. I did this painted engine cover mod because the car needed to be a little slicked-up in the engine bay to be more presentable. The cars on display usually have the hood propped up so you can see a modified or super clean engine.
I have a friend who chooses to take his Insight (from among his various high performance cars) to his local performance car get-togethers to show the opposite end of the spectrum - highest performing gas saver. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I painted mine a charcoal metallic engine enamel. It's holding up okay, starting to bubble near the belts a bit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I recently purchased a rattle can of Silverstone Metallic auto touchup paint with the primary idea of painging my engine cover. It's not high temperature paint though, I didn't think that would be required since I'm not painting headers of something that gets really hot. Anybody know if HT paint is actually required for the cover?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I would use a "Plastics" paint over a body paint. The cover doesn't get that hot for HT paint in my opinion.

HTH
Willie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts