Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to purchase a blue Insight, but it seems to cost about 3,000$ more for a blue one that a silver or citrus yellow, or, "snot green" as a seller described it. Does anyone have suggestions or considerations about the idea of buying a "snot green" Insight and then painting it? What challenges/considerations are involved in painting the aluminum Insight. Can anybody recomend or discourage me from a specific autobody company. Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
hmm I've seen people searching for the citrus..

Though I bought mine new off the lot for 3000 cheaper than the blue or silver.

Keep an eye on ebay. About 10,000 should buy you any color you want for on 2000 or 2001 model

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It coudl be done. There would just be one thing that would bother me. If you look up underneath and under the carpets inside and even in the wheel wells there is overspray in the cars origonal color from the factory. To do it properly you'd have to take apart the car in to a million pieces, paint it and put it back together. Of course if this wouldn't bother you you could just paint the exterior, door jams, and I think you could paint the engine bay without removing too much, at least I think it could be done with the engine still in the car.

But please don't paint a citrus one another color, they are so rare as it is. Find a silver one and paint it, they are a dime a dozen. And it really might not be much cheaper to paint one. If you send it off a good paint job can easily cost you $3,000 and it can go up even more from there depending on the quality of work you are looking for. I would think you should be able to find a blue one for the price range your looking in eventually.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you bought one, its your car and you can paint it whatever you want. Hey, flames would be cool (or maybe sparks.. :wink: )

The Insight is obviously small, and a total paint job should be cheaper than average.

I don't see any reason to bother painting in the engine compartment, etc., unless you are real picky about everything matching. The contrast might be interesting...

You could probably get a reasonably good quality job for less than 1500 bucks, and maybe significantly less assuming no body work needed. Quality usually is price-dependent.

There shouldn't be anything special about the aluminum panels, as long as the original paint is good. The plastic (fenders, bumper covers) would require additives in the paint to allow flexibility, but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
348 Posts
And make sure the heat from the paint-dryer doesn't blow the battery-pack.
There's a sticker in the drivers door-sill mentioning this. (above the tyre-pressure sticker).... :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the advice. 1500$ would be a great price, considering one of the cheapest blue Insights I can find is 11,800, and I can find silver and green for 8500-9000$. Anybody have a lead on a blue, 5-speed, AC with low miles? Thanks again.

·
Registered
700 Posts
brpeterson said:
Thanks for all of the advice. 1500$ would be a great price,....
Hey, don't quote me on that. I would find a shop (or a few) and ask ahead of time, if I were you....

Let us know what numbers you get...

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I have painted cars and also my Cessna, which of course is aluminum. If you want to have a real nice Insight, I would strongly recommend you NOT paint it; especially a different color. There are several issues here, depending on how particular you are about quality. First, the fact that the body is aluminum is a big factor IF you prepare the car by sanding or stripping off all the paint. In aviation, you ALWAYS go down to bare metal before painting. Then, the Aluminum is inspected, chemically etched, and finally alodined before being painted. One reason for removing the existing paint is weight; It is surprising how many pounds of paint are used on a car. You would'nt need to strip off all the paint on the Insight, but just realize the car will end up heavier. The main thing is, if you paint a different color, it's just not going to look very good, in door jams, underhood, seals & tight places. Also I believe it would substantially reduce the monetary value of the car.........

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Billy makes a really good point. Unless you do a stellar job of taking everything apart, painting, then putting it back together just right you will be able to tell that the car's been painted. I know this from experience, I preped a 1970 camaro for paint about a year ago and door jambs and the engine compartment are a pain to do. I think I spent about a week on just the door jambs to get it just right. But it looks so much better orange than purple.

Anyways, back on subject. I am around auto auctions all the time and I've learned how to tell original paint from repaints pretty well and when you see a repaint you always assume accident first. But when you find a 10 year old car thats been well maintained and waxed and the paint is original and in great shape it's always a HUGE plus.

You didn't say where about you are located, but here's a blue left over 02 CVT. I know your looking for a 5 speed, but it's a start.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2461283851

BTW, on the Camaro, we had almost $1,500 in materials alone, I did most of the prep work and an employee did the painting. This is for a really good paint job using PPG base coat clear coat and all 3M sand papers and such. Throw in the hours and hours of labor and it can add up fast, but then again it depends on how good of a job your looking for. Granted, the factory paint is a little thin, but good quality.

Now, if you are really set on painting an Insight why stop with blue? :twisted: I think a chroma illusioned Insight would be absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like the blue ones too but could only find a silver one in my price range.

I wouldn't paint one if I were you. I just think it look tacky when you get in and see the other color. Also, cheap paint jobs are noticably cheap. There is usually at least one drip.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Regarding weight: I can't believe that enough paint to cover an Insight would be any appreciable amount of mass. A lot of the paint sprayed doesn't end up on the car anyway. Remember, an Insight doesn't go anywhere without at least one person in it, and I would look to other sources if I were that concerned about weight, if you know what I mean...

There is no reason to strip the paint to bare aluminium. The factory paint will be in excellent condition, since it will only be 4 years old or less. The new paint will adhere just fine with a decent prep (sanding/scuffing).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Painting An Insight

I was thinking the other day how special the Insight would look stripped of all paint and polished like an aircraft fuslage.Of course there are plastic parts that would prevent this all over mirrored effect so guess that is out,also in sunny climes it would blind other drivers but as a show car would be unusual.

Dgate #151

·
Registered
700 Posts
Dgate:

Funny, I was imagining the exact same thing. I saw a picture of some of the new Mercedes' in a chrome finish and it looked incredible.

check these out:

pic 1

pic 2

edit: Here's some more I found
another

and another

and a vintage aston:

Aston racer

And the paint can be had from this company (hint hint) :wink:

http://www.alsacorp.com/paints.htm

Who's first ?

Sorry for veering off...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the suggestion/comments. I think I have found the right Insight for me and it is a Monte Carlo Blue. So, all of you citrius lovers, breath easy. The chrome would be very cool also. One question, does the interior color of the Insight have any relation to the exterior? If it is blue, is there any blue showing in the interior? See ya.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
holicow... thanks for the links to the pix...

An all-chrome Insight (with silvered window tinting!) would really look like a UFO. Wow! What a traffic stopper! What a traffic blinder! Especially here in sunny North Texas, where the combination of a rising/setting sun, reflective windows on every building this side of a tool shed, and the lack of any features on the horizon (yes, it's flat here... if your dog runs away, you can still see it three days later) makes the glare of the sun a blinding, everyday event on sunny days, sunup to sunset. 8)

Come to think of it, a chrome finish on a car might even serve as camouflage around here. :roll:

I took your name in vain when I saw the paint price, though. $1200 for a gallon! Holy Cow! :shock:

But those Benzes sure look cooooool... no doubt it's worth it to someone who wishes to have such a unique vehicle... :wink:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No there won't be any blue or whatever color showing on the inside of the car. But if you pull up the carpet, or even get your head way up under the dash there will be some overspray in the cars color in there.

As far as paint costing $1200 a gallon doesn't really suprise me. When the chroma illusion first came out (the paint that changes colors depending on the angle you see it at) was something like $5,000 a gallon when it was first scarsely available.

Now that brings me to another thought. If the Insigh's fenders and bumpers wern't plastic you could just have the panels stripped and actually chromed if you had a lot of money. Use some metal polish once every so often, but otherwise what an easy surface to maintain.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Rick, Plastic can be chrome plated. It is done all the time! Often the articles are cheap so it can't be that expensive either. Now gold plating aluminum is a tough one. Aluminum pieces that go into sattelites are gold plated and it is a five layer process. There is nothing more awesome than a gold plated machined magnesium aluminum alloy. It looks so heavy and is sooooo light! 8)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Regarding those Mercs:

The pictures were taken by Mercedes themselves for their 2004 calendar.
The cars WEREN'T painted !!! :wink:

They simply used a VERRRRY thin "sticky foil" that withstands uv-rays and everything else, just like paint does.
A small company near Stuttgart (when I remember rightly) did the work on twelve cars.
Thinking about it, that would be so much cheaper than the paint :shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts