Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 Insight and I'm very happy with it! Big step up from my previous 1994 Mazda. I bought the Comfort model (I think this compares to the LX version) and it has no parking sensors. I'd like to install those and I found ones which do not require any drilling: Look here.

Does anyone have experience removing the rear bumper? Is it easy to do and what things do I need to undo? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would visit an online Honda parts store and see their instructions for doing mods that involve the removal of the rear bumper. Then ignore the mod, but extract the valuable info on the bumper removal.

for instance...http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/insight/2011/rearunderbodyspoiler.pdf
Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I as looking for! After driving this weekend I noticed that the rear view through the lower window is pretty good, so I might not install the park control. We'll see how it pans out...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been using this parking sensor (ReverseGUARD Parking Aid :: Sigma Automotive) for a few years starting with Honda Fit, which I traded in for Insight, and VERY happy about it! No hassle to install, just a small hole behind the frame, and you'll need to remove the plastic tailgate lining from the hatch for the control box and the beeper, that is WAY easier, than removing the rear bumper cover. Not sure about the license plate shape in Netherlands though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I as looking for! After driving this weekend I noticed that the rear view through the lower window is pretty good, so I might not install the park control. We'll see how it pans out...
Hi There

did you get a chance to remove the bumper? I am having an issue with the sensor, it's keep beeping. I'd like to remove the bumper and check it myself. But it looks difficult to remove it?
Could you tell me how you removed it please? thanks

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
To remove the US bumper you unbolt the 2 bolts on each side of the hatch area with hatch open. Then a screw or 2 in each wheel well towards the tire. Then you peel the bumper off starting at the wheel wells and undo a few clips under each edge and center. TADA!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
To remove the US bumper you unbolt the 2 bolts on each side of the hatch area with hatch open. Then a screw or 2 in each wheel well towards the tire. Then you peel the bumper off starting at the wheel wells and undo a few clips under each edge and center. TADA!!!!!
You sounded way too easy :) the screws around wheels tho do i need Jack Stands?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Jack stands? No, not unless you remove the rear tires to do this. :) You just need a short philips head screw driver and feel around the back half of the fender well along the edge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jack stands? No, not unless you remove the rear tires to do this. :) You just need a short philips head screw driver and feel around the back half of the fender well along the edge.
I shall give it a try see what happens. It drives me mad every time i reverse the car it keep beeping. the honda garage said €300 to fix it :) crazy...

Thanks Cobb, i'll try this weekend. perhaps only need to clean the sensor so it might do the trick ;)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I may remove my rear bumper this weekend 'just for fun'.
Two weeks ago on an unlit narrow country road when passing a farmhouse entry and a car from the opposing direction, with someone real close up to my rear bumper to boot, I heard a loud bang and felt a shudder on the right.

I stopped the car but saw no damage other than a scratch on my right side mirror.
I went back to investigate.
There were some wheely bins in the road; I assumed I hit one of them. They were all standing upright, thought the bang would mean I knocked one over.

Nothing more to see, I backed into an empty driveway. Bang! Hit something hard. The reverse sensors did not give a beep, nothing.
I was so pissed I just drove away.
The other day I saw there were some building materials and scaffolds and the like there.

Turned out I had a nasty dent in my boot lid (it still closes well enough) and some damage to the bumper and plastic above the license plate.
And this morning I had a leak tire; a nail had penetrated the track.
I think the bang and shudder two weeks ago was me driving over and shattering a plank and picking up a nail from it.

Having the tire checked and plugged cost me €20,51. Fixing the boot would be somewhere around €1440...
For that money I rather take the bumper off and see whether I can/need to do something to make it go back in shape.
I feel like adding some aero mods :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I may remove my rear bumper this weekend 'just for fun'.
Two weeks ago on an unlit narrow country road when passing a farmhouse entry and a car from the opposing direction, with someone real close up to my rear bumper to boot, I heard a loud bang and felt a shudder on the right.

I stopped the car but saw no damage other than a scratch on my right side mirror.
I went back to investigate.
There were some wheely bins in the road; I assumed I hit one of them. They were all standing upright, thought the bang would mean I knocked one over.

Nothing more to see, I backed into an empty driveway. Bang! Hit something hard. The reverse sensors did not give a beep, nothing.
I was so pissed I just drove away.
The other day I saw there were some building materials and scaffolds and the like there.

Turned out I had a nasty dent in my boot lid (it still closes well enough) and some damage to the bumper and plastic above the license plate.
And this morning I had a leak tire; a nail had penetrated the track.
I think the bang and shudder two weeks ago was me driving over and shattering a plank and picking up a nail from it.

Having the tire checked and plugged cost me €20,51. Fixing the boot would be somewhere around €1440...
For that money I rather take the bumper off and see whether I can/need to do something to make it go back in shape.
I feel like adding some aero mods :)
Areo mods :)) Anyway a lot of money to fix it... Do you know who hit your car so you can claim from the other party? I think mine happened in shopping car park but didn't realize the bump until next day...

hope you'll be able to fix it yourself, ditto for me :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Areo mods :)) Anyway a lot of money to fix it... Do you know who hit your car so you can claim from the other party? I think mine happened in shopping car park but didn't realize the bump until next day...

hope you'll be able to fix it yourself, ditto for me :)
I did all the hitting myself I fear, first the plank with the nail in it and shortly thereafter whatever was invisibly and inaudibly (according to the backup sensors) stored on someones driveway.
But there is no structural damage afaict, just my pride ;)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Removing the bumper cover did give me a few mpg and helped to deter tailgaters. I later put it back on. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Removing the bumper cover did give me a few mpg and helped to deter tailgaters. I later put it back on. :)
Hey

I removed the bumper yesterday easily. Only issue i faced to those clips. I couldn't remove it. I didn't need to in the end. I saw the sensor was covered with **** dirt. cleaned it and put it back, tada!!! it worked :) putting back the bumper was a bit tricky and on second attempt i was successful :)

Jeez guys, thanks very much for all help. Save me time, hassle and money!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts