Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left side parking light is out on my 2002 Insight. It's not the whitish one in front, but the side amber one in the same area as the blinker.

Can someone help me with what bulb to buy to replace it and how to replace it? I think the owner's manual describes it on page 199 and 200, but they talk about one bulb - is it only one?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
....Go to the auto parts store and get a bulb. It's a Sylvania 168. Open the hood and next to the headlight just pull out the parking light socket and replace the bulb. Easy.

Or maybe this is not what you describe? Maybe you mean the side marker light, not the parking light. Just look in the catalog at any auto parts store. That light is accessed under the front wheel well liner.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I mean the side marker light. Accessed under the liner. They have them at regular auto parts store though? And it's just one bulb? Even thought the side blinker still works?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just trying to get all the info ahead of time. It's called preparation. Sheesh.

Thank you for the part number. I think I can handle it from here.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
It's just that replacing a bulb is the butt of many jokes, usually the household variety.

IMO such prepairation is overkill and a relfection of the skills of the poster. On your trip to the parts store if the counterperson doesn't / can't identify this _very_ basic part then that's all you need to know to _run_ in the other direction (looking for another store).

Alternatively, to save a wrong part trip, removal of the part in question to have it "matched-up" is a time honored, tried and true method.

But to trouble your fellow Insighters in here to look it up for you or pick their brain for something this trivial raises questions in my mind.

Broken lenses are very expensive vs. the free advice of you probably shouldn't try to DIY.

Sincerely,

[1 typo edit]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your concerns. I appreciate your input.

I guess I was just a little surprised by what appeared to be a little dig. I've asked (and seen) all kinds of questions from the most trivial to some total rebuilds, and the Insight community here has always been helpful in offering advice in how to replace a clutch, to how to add an arm rest, to even changing a light bulb. I guess when I had a question I went here first, rather than to some parts store that, as you say, may not even know what an Insight is. I trust you guys better.

I certainly didn't mean to waste bandwidth. :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
We've got plenty to waste :!: ;)

Seriously, if you reflect on the very basic skill that such a "repair" requires vs the effort _you_ expended in here seeking an in-depth answer what other conclusion was I to come to :?:

All types of light bulbs have been "standardized" for well over 50 years now. Which leaves the "issue" of the skill level of the poster in question.

And yes I have _personally_ seen people try to do such the hard way and cause $$$ damage. And IF you were _really_ that far along a terse reply is usually needed to bump you back to reality. 'Tis a limitation of communication via the written word only. But I thought I had made my motivations clear in my previous post.

p.s. Enough now Mr. Hegee :?:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For any one else who wants to know, there are four bulbs on each side in the front- the headlight, the front parking light, the blinker, and the side marker light. The blinker is accessed through the wheel well by pulling back the well liner. All others are reached from inside the engine compartment. My side marker light was out. That's the one in the same lens grouping as the blinker. It uses a Sylvania 168 and can be reached on the right side by squeezing your hand between the washer fluid tank and the frame. Quarter turn counter clockwise to remove it does the trick. On the left side you'd probably have to remove the cooler resovoir.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts