Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was putting his trumpet case in my Insight and banged the right rear tail light lens. It has a hairline crack in it :( . It's not bad at all, but I'd still like to replace it. Can anyone tell me the part number for the right rear tail light lens cover? The red plastice thingy.

And is it easy to replace myself?

Thanks.

Al

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ewww, hate to say it but from my little experience having the tail lights out I think you'll have to replace the whole assembly. They come out pretty easily. You pop the back hatch, pull the fuzzy cardboard back behind the tail lights and there is a screw under a little pad that allows you to remove the tail light. Then on the seal where the back hatch touches the rest of the car there are two covers you pop off that reveal two more screws that will then release the tail light housing. I think this is all in the owners manual.

Now the bad news. I don't have the part number, but I think the tail lights run about $150 each. (See, Honda's gonna make a profit on the Insight some how). Actually, I think there is a guy on eBay who was selling parts off of a wrecked Insight he has. You might find him and see if the tail lights are still any good or not, it would probably be much cheaper because I don't think you can replace just the lense.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hi,
You may want to buy a salvaged part. You can contact
[email protected]. John was very friendly. He has two wrecked Insights and I know he has the rear taillight assembly. He is trying to turn the one that had the top cut away into a convertible. I went by his place near Bristol VA and purchased 4 tires/wheels and the interior trim/carpet on one of the Insights for $525.
He showed me the tail lights but I didn't look at them closely but the car had 20K miles and was hit of the front/top so the rear parts might be fine. I figure I got a decent deal for parts I wanted but they were NOT mint condition. As I said before John seams very friendly and honest but he is probably not the perfectionist that you are. (My impression is that he would not think a crack is a big deal). So it you decide to go this route I would ask him to examine the part closely for any scratches or other defects or perhaps even a picture before making the deal or better yet go by and check the parts out for yourself. I had the impression the things I wanted were in better shape than when I looked at them but the price was fair. Now to go and try and clean the extra carpet. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
198 Posts
IHonda2002 said:
A friend of mine was putting his trumpet case in my Insight and banged the right rear tail light lens. It has a hairline crack in it :( . It's not bad at all, but I'd still like to replace it. Can anyone tell me the part number for the right rear tail light lens cover? The red plastice thingy.

And is it easy to replace myself?

Thanks.

Al
The part number for the "LAMP UNIT, R. TAIL" is 33501-S3Y-A01 (H/C 6344295) from the 2000-2002 Honda Insight Parts Catalog (page 3-40). A quick check at Hparts.com shows it to be $115.94 (yike). There is no lens subcomponent to the lamp unit itself so you have buy the whole thing. A quick check of http://www.car-part.com had a price of $75 for a used one. Others were listed as "$Call" so you might be able to get a better price.

As for ease of replacement. The instructions for doing so are on page 22-82 of the 2000 Service Manual. I quote:

1. Open the hatch and pull back the rear trim panel (see page 20-43).
2. Remove the mounting nut (A) from the taillight (B).
3. Remove the covers (C) and two mounting bolts, then remove the taillight.
4. Turn the bulb sockets (F) 45 degrees counterclockwise, then remove them from the light.
5. Install the taillight in the reverse order of removal.
6. After installing, run the water over them to make sure they don't leak.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You know, it actually would probably be better getting a used one if your not going to replace both. Over time the mint plastic does get some wear and tear and I've seen vehicles that have had tail lights replaced and they end up looking kinda funky with one thats perfectly new and one thats old. You woulnd't have this problem with a used one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I figured it would cost a bit. I showed a friend of mine and he thought I was crazy to replace it. You can't really feel the mark, but it is definitely cracked - about 3 inches long, parallel to the curve of the outside of the body. I don't think it leaks or anything. It just bugs me, knowing it's there.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Maybe you could fill the crack with some sort of clear plastic glue. That would at least ensure that water would not leak in if it was cracked all the way through. If done properly you might even make it to where you won't even see it any more. You might go see what sort of wounderful adhesives you can find at your local home depot or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts