Honda Insight Forum banner

Part Out or Sell?

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  rmay635703 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Insight with a M/T and 160,000 miles. It needs a lot of work; IMA battery, brakes, bodywork, and a number of other things. I am considering parting it out. Your thoughts? I would probably only get a few hundred dollars for it if I sold it. If I were to part it out, are parts in high demand? Would it be worth my time? Thanks!

#6 ·
If you have space to store it, then parting is ok, and probably a net gainer, but expect to have it a long time.

The clincher - do you have a way to get rid of the shell when it is picked clean??

#7 ·
IMA battery - can be bypassed cheap, permanent or not. Or replace it - 160K miles is low for an Insight and a new battery could be justified by some people

Brakes - brake lines? Brake pads? Doable..

Bodywork - pics?

Number of other things - such as?

160K miles is quite low for an Insight; 200k+ is the norm it seems, unless it's a CVT, and many easily exceed 400k. Unless the damage is quite extensive I don't see why you couldn't just sell it, or fix it up and sell it for a decent price.

#8 ·
I've been looking for a parts car for a while now and I'm in Wisconsin so I'd be pretty interested if you were selling it whole. As far as parting out it depends on condition. Good condition rims are very expensive but typical condition ones go for not very much. Seats can be worth a bit but I'd be willing to yank them out if you wanted to sell those, they're worthless to me.

#10 ·
I've never had much success parting cars. Always way too much stuff left over. I can't stand to throw stuff away and I spend way too much time trying to find a buyer. I'll never do it again. But I do wish you were near me, because I'd love to have a parts car.

#14 · (Edited)
2001 Red, manual, dent in rear drivers quarter panel, 2nd downshift grind just started, vertical crack in front bumper by tow provision, Scott’s upgraded springs, have all aero panels but not all installed, upgraded civic egr, plugs and timing in the last 30,000 miles.

Issue with the car is the immobilizer sometimes works but have hit a bump and the immobilizer light turns on and kills the car, wiggle or bounce and the car restarts.

Attachments

#19 ·
With a set of greensavers installed it had a summer range of 40-50 miles.

My folks liked to use it as a Sunday driver to mission Lake or the Eau Claire dells both of which are 40ish miles from them.

Never had trouble with either trip.

After the accident one battery was damaged and range dropped (with 1 less battery) to about 25-30 miles

#25 ·
HAHA I once got mine up to 46 too on a long downhill road.

Yeah it was always funny how enjoyable top speed was in the zx40.

Always wanted to unlock the transmission and ad a shifter and clutch pedal for more speed but it was too complicated and got rid of it before the batteries totally crapped out.
Transmission and motor are identical to the late 80’s 1 liter Daihatsu Charade. (Which were sold in California)

If I wanted to convert back to gas that is what I would have to find to fit the bay

I’ve always wished every manual transmission mounting pattern would be documented in cad and searchable by model

Ah well, not happening

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.