Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a dealer auction today. Silver 2001 with paint peeling from the roof and moldings. IMA battery dead with CEL on too. Thought I heard the transmission bearing whine when I started it up. Sold for $2200 plus about $200 buy fee to an online bidder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ouch, I payed less than half that for mine with 84k miles. Just a bit of rash on the front bumper, everything else is pretty nice.

Good pass, I'd say. I want to find a Citrus Manual, with a price that doesn't make my jewish wallet weep. It's proving to be a difficult task!

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
I would have passed purely because it's a CVT. CVT insights should all be swapped or destroyed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would have passed purely because it's a CVT. CVT insights should all be swapped or destroyed.
That's a bit short sighted. Some people are married to ladies who can barely drive a car at all. Let alone a manual.

Also, it is sometimes nice, on long journeys, to just push the gas and go.

Also, also, I have never seen a transmission as simple to work on as this cars CVT. There is almost nothing to it. There is something to be said about simplicity.

Anyways, each to their own. But, to say that all of the CVT models should be destroyed is a bit rash.

·
Registered
23 Posts
While I would agree dumping all CVT's would be a little rash. The lure of an automatic. I do understand that some people just cannot drive a stick. I learned when I was 12, taught my daughters after driver's ed and the gal I've been with for 35 years had a MG midget when we met. But yea no one else in her family male or female can do it. At least they'll never ask to borrow your Insight.

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
As you get much older, you may have the desire to "Become Shiftless" because of medical problems. Kneecaps, strength, etc.
MY Insight is a 5 speed, but my 2007 Fit is an automatic, not CVT, and I drive it mostly in Sport mode so I can shift the gears.

·
Registered
88 Posts
cvt

I have both CVT and MT and I do like the MT better but.....being in San Francisco traffic I do like the CVT better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As you get much older, you may have the desire to "Become Shiftless" because of medical problems. Kneecaps, strength, etc.
MY Insight is a 5 speed, but my 2007 Fit is an automatic, not CVT, and I drive it mostly in Sport mode so I can shift the gears.
Had an 07 Fit Sport with the automatic. That was one of the best cars Honda has ever made. It was a hoot to drive, got 32 mpg and could hold more crap than most small SUVs. I embarrassed many "faster cars" on the backroads in that thing! Unfortunately, it was hit in the *** end and totaled...

One of these days I'm going to get another and do a K20 swap. That was always my dream for that car, make it a Type R.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
2nd gen prius > 1g Insight CVT

They get about the same MPG.

CVT insight is slower, no lean burn, not as efficient, less reliable.

Just nope.

·
Registered
130 Posts
2nd gen prius > 1g Insight CVT

They get about the same MPG.

CVT insight is slower, no lean burn, not as efficient, less reliable.

Just nope.
I'm all for Manual transmissions but I got a good deal on a CVT and I've put 90,000 miles on it since buying it. It's now sitting at 218,000 miles and I haven't had any problems with the transmission.

And It'd be good to know that those are 90,000 pizza delivery miles. starts, stops, reversing, turning the engine on and off a million times.

I've changed the filters in the transmission and I change the fluid every 15k miles but its showing no signs of stopping. 10/10 very reliable tranny so far :)

Now you can't exactly call the first gen manual trannys reliable. They have ISB problems, and the 2nd gear grind issue, plus manuals clutch will wear out eventually. maybe the clutch will last like 150k miles on an insight?

The only issues with the CVT would appear to be high maintenance (fluid and filters) and the flywheel stripped teeth issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts