Honda Insight Forum banner

Passenger Airbag Kill Switch?

11K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  WizardReloaded 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew about/or already has had done a mod to put in a passenger airbag kill switch. I would be interesting in knowing how difficult, how expensive, that kind of info. If anyone happens to be on here and reading in the Baltimore-DC corridor, if you've done it a suggestion of places that would do that kind of work would be extremely helpful. Although it would only occur in limited circumstances, I'm having a baby in July and would like the ability to be able to carry my child around in the Insight if necessary, which is currently not possible without a way to disable the airbag. Since it wouldn't be needed for that purpose very often, if I could have a switch so that when adults are in the seat I could have the airbag operational that would be preferable to permanently disabling the airbag.

I look forward to hearing what you fellow Insighters may have to offer in this regard.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Moments after I got my keys at the dealership, I was in the parts department inquiring about a shut off switch for the passenger airbag.
It was my impression from an NPR broadcast I heard last year that ALL vechile manufactures are required by law to provide a switch to disable the passenger airbag for trucks and two seaters.
The lady at the counter said she had never received this kind of request, and she grabbed the department manager.
The manager came out with a real aditude problem, telling me I would have
to contact the local police department and call honda directly for such a part, and when I asked for the honda phone number to call he said "I'm not sure" and walked away!

I did contact Honda, and they told me that the switch was not available at this time. Also, there is some legal form I have to request and have filled out before honda can sell this part.
I have the number at home to get the form, and I'll post that information when I get off of work.
Honda told me to get the form filled out so that if and when the disable switch becomes available, I can be contacted to receive it.
In my last car, I simply unplugged the airbag, but the airbag light would
remain iluminated on my dash, and who knows if it had an adverse affect on the functionality of the driver airbag.
I would imagine the vechicle needs to see some kind of resistance on the airbag wires when disconnected, in order to prevent this from happening.
Anyone know if there is another honda model that comes standard with an airbag disable?

#3 ·
Here is the scoop.

Call 1-800-424-9393 (DOT auto safety hotline)

You will need to talk to an operator, cause the automated
list doesn't have an option for the airbag shutoff switch.
They will get your name and address, and send you out an
application.
After you receive their approval letter, you can take the letter
to the dealership and get placed on the "if and when" list for the
Insight airbag shut-off switch.
Until I am able to get a honda airbag switch, I'll do some more research
on the mechanics involved to safely and properly disable the airbag.
I work on alot of trucks with this switch, and I'll take a closer peak at
one the next time I get one in the bay.

#4 ·
Kill that airbag! (Can you?)

On the Yahoo Honda-Hybrid site, this very topic was discussed a few weeks ago. I found Message #10474 (you can follow the thread for more info), but here is a snippet of what that message mentioned. Read it carefully, I am not technically savvy enough to know if this works or not... or if it even applies to your original question(s). Don't go mucking around behind the dash and trigger the bag (confidence is high it would happen to ME)! Hope it helps...

[Moderator Note: Edited to remove actual instructions. Please refer to manual or Yahoo group.]

#5 ·
Thanks for the tip on the DOT hotline number Atheos. I called yesterday and my application is on the way. Once I get my approval, I'll check one more time with my local Honda dealer to see if they can do the switch installation, but if they can't I'll begin hunting for a local auto shop to do the task. Somebody's gotta know how to put one of these things on, its just a matter of finding out who and seeing how many bills leaving my pockets it'll take to get it done!

#6 ·
The search looks to be complete. I got my waiver from the NHTSA and went looking for an installer. The dealers were no help, not wanting to take on any liability even considering the waiver. I called American Honda to see if they could offer assistance, but they basically said that they don't get involved in any airbag issues. Finally, I found a link on the NHTSA website which shows by state installers of airbag deactivation switches, found one willing to do a Honda Insight, and have scheduled the install. I was quoted a price of $340 total, including parts, labor, and mobile installation charges (they're going to come to my house to do the install on a Saturday). Figuring what a captive market they have, the fact that they're coming to me to do the install, and what the other options might be, I'm pretty happy about that. I'll post again on this topic when the install is complete to comment on operation, aesthetics, etc.

#7 ·
Hi Hambone,
I am in Maryland also and will need a cutoff switch if I buy an Insight. I'm wondering if you could tell me the name of the outfit that did the installation? Did they do a nice job? Did you get an idea of how the switch works with respect to wiring?

Thanks!

-D

#8 ·
Driver said:
Hi Hambone,
I am in Maryland also and will need a cutoff switch if I buy an Insight. I'm wondering if you could tell me the name of the outfit that did the installation? Did they do a nice job? Did you get an idea of how the switch works with respect to wiring?

Thanks!

-D
I just got it done yesterday (Saturday the 17th), and I must say I'm very pleased with the install. The outfit that did it is called Sensible Solutions, LLC, (phone 1-877-773-7908) and they are based in Frederick. They came to Columbia to do my install, and it took about 2 hours total. The cost, including all parts, labor, and the fact that they came to my apartment to do it was $340.

I believe they tap into the wiring for the passenger airbag, but I'm not completely sure about that. I'm sure they could give you more details about that. I had the keybox that turns the switch between on and off mounted underneath the center console, underneath the stereo above the cupholders. The light that illuminates when the airbag is in deactivated mode is connected to the fuse box. Originally they had put it in the fuse for the front wipers, but last night the wipers wouldn't work and I noticed that fuse would not go all the way in. I moved it to the accessory socket fuse (on an end of the top row of fuses) and now both the light and my socket work fine. Just be sure to choose a fuse that is off when the key is out of the ignition so the light won't drain the battery.

I'm really happy that I now have this feature. My plan all along has been to try and keep my Insight forever, even when I get another car on down the road, and now that's more likely to happen. My car turns three in a month and has accumulated now over 50K miles, and now I can hopefully look forward to many more years and miles with my car.

If I can get you more info, please let me know. I think Sensible Solutions operates in the entire DC, MD, and Northern VA area, maybe even further than that. The service tech that did the install was very nice and the whole process was very satisfying be my way of thinking.

#9 ·
I went looking in my area for someone who will install the switch and cheapest/most convenient I found was also Sensible Solutions. They quoted me $365 to come out and install it. Another quote I got was $600 and I would have to take it to them!

I don't have kids but live with my sister who now has 2 and I would just need it for taking one for a drive to get them to fall asleep. For the time being I will use the money to tint the Insight and for gas in my truck (no airbags) for the nap-time drives.

#10 ·
Airbag Switch Installed--Do-It-Yourself

Hambone,

I just installed an airbag switch myself this weekend (see my post on the General Discussion Forum). It was not too difficult. It cost $199 +S/H and took several hours of my free labor. A company in Frederick, MD wanted over $300 to do the same thing. That was my second choice, but I am a do-it-yourselfer by nature and was up for the challenge.

Holliday Obrecht

#11 ·
Paying for an airbag switch

Check messages 10450-10455 and 10474 in the Yahoo Hybrid group for a possible explanation of why these switches are dearly priced. Apparently, a simple on-off switch just won't work: "A plug on the wire of the air bag is made specially so that if you unplug it, there is a jumper that shorts two wires," resulting in "no warning or error into the central computer." If you just sever a wire (with a switch), the computer sees this as a problem and disables both bags. The switch compensates for all sorts of possibilities. I also looked into the availability of a disable switch, but since I have a number of vehicles to choose from, I don't really have to worry about transporting my friends' wee ones in the Insight. Note: The last time I mentioned this, the Moderators chose to snip the actual quote from the 10474 message, which I guess is wise in these litigious times. Remember... THIS IS :!: NOT :!: A DIY PROJECT as far as 99.9% of us are concerned, paying a pro to do it is certaily money well spent...

#13 ·
Mark - Congratulations on your Insight. A great purchase. Glad to have someone else on the Forum from the UK - perhaps it is time for a UK (rather than US) Insight rally :wink:

#14 ·
I installed the AOI airbag kill switch myself this past weekend. I do not like their directions at all. The instruct you to find a spot in the wires with some "slack", there is no such spot. I totally ditched their spade connections and used splicers. The only goof-up I made was forgetting to plug the airbag back in before starting the car, which of course caused the SRS light to come on. It took me three days to dig out my Service Manual (we just moved), but when I did I found that the SRS light can be reset using an SCS Service Tool, which I just happen to have. The switch is working great.

My only other complaint is that I was dumb enough to pay $200 for $5 worth of simple electronic components. I had previously designed a switch of my own, but decided against doing it myself for fear of screwing it up. Well, as it turns out the stuff in the little black box from AOI is EXACTLY the same as what I had previously designed. If anyone else is looking for one of these switches I will gladly save you some money, I can put one together and send it to you for only $75, including shipping even. Just contact me through email.

Later,

Matt

#15 ·
Yikes!!

Just got mine installed at a local place that took several months to get me the switch from Sensible Solutions. They didn't give me a quote up front . . . didn't think I needed one, since SS had quoted me about $200 for the switch and estimated 2-3 hours for the install.

They just called to tell me they paid $400 for a "multi-stage switch" - which the SS rep didn't think sounded right - and took FIVE HOURS to install the thing. For a total of over $700.

I'm not a happy customer. If they don't know how to install the damned switch, or even which switch to install, I'm certainly not going to pay them for their incompetence.

Make sure you get an estimate up front . . . :evil:

#18 ·
WizardReloaded said:
Does anyone have any pictures of the switch installed?
I had my switch placed on the underside of the center console stack, and other than the cord for it which shows (although it is grey so its not too bad), I think the install looks pretty good. Plus, its where I can see it when I'm driving, so the light on it is all I need to look for to know what state the airbag is in. I'll try to take a couple of pictures of it and post them. Also, its easy to get to to turn on and off. Once I had to do it while the car was in motion, which meant taking the keys out of the ignition, inserting the airbag switch key and turning it, then reinserting the keys into the ignition and resuming normal travel. I wouldn't suggest anyone else try that, but if you do, make sure the road is straight so you don't have to turn the wheel much and take the chance of locking it! I've now put my extra airbag switch key in the cubby below and left of the steering wheel so in the future I won't have to remove my keys (where I had the switch key) to be able to turn the airbag on or off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.