Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always wishing that I could be driving my Insight when I have to drive the Element because I have too much stuff to fit into the Insight.

Honda had the brilliant idea of making the rear Element seats easily removable and yet safely and securely fixed when in place.

:?: QUESTION: :?:

Has anyone modded their passenger seat to be like the Element seats - in and out on a whim?

:?: QUESTION: :?:

It would be nice to keep the stock seat and just make it removable, but maybe it makes more sense to pull it out entirely and replace it with something else that is an equally good seat?

There should be no compromise in safety for a passenger when the seat is in place, but there should be no seat when cargo space is needed.

Thoughts? Experiments on this?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The seat belt attaches to the seat so you would have to make it quikly detatch from the seat or find another way to attach it to the floor. The seats are really low so welding thicker strips of steel to the underside of the seat rails would probably improve the riding position for most of us anyway. You could use hardened socket heat cap screws on the floor and have the rails keyed so that the seat would fit down on the bolts and then slide forward to lock. A relatively thin guage plate would fit between the seat rails to hold their position with respect to each other. You would then need a really reliable locking pin to quickly lock the seat from sliding back.

A cargo box etc. could use the same attachment points.

Sounds like a cool project.

·
Registered
652 Posts
A better seat design would be if the seat would flod forward and have a hard table like top on the back side. They could even add a cup holder and a laptop plug in point if they really want to excel. Maybe this will be standard in 06. Have fun, RIck

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked in the service manual last night, and it appears there are just four bolts. Slide the seat back, take two bolts off. Slide it forward, take two bolds off. Remove seat.

It sounds from the manual that Honda ALREADY made it an easy thing to swap in and out!

I'll try it today, maybe it is somehow more complex that the service manual implies.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it is as easy as it appears in the service manual. Takes no time at all. Reverse process just as simple. Unless they had done it with pop out pins, they could not have made it easier. Opens up tons of space and saves weight too...

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Five bolts, as you have to remove the seat belt from the seat.

The rear set of bolts are difficult to remove the first time. They have a locking compound on them to prevent vibration from loosening them.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course they had to make the seat belt bold head 1mm wider than the others so you have to change out your socket. I wish they made them all the same, then it would save me the 5 seconds for swapping the wrench head.

I wonder if people will now think that the Insight is designed to be a one seater?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not have scale, but I have ordered up a $6 bathroom scale from Amazon.

It isn't really that heavy. Over 15 lbs, less than 40 lbs. How do you like those error bars!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmmmm

If it was only a one seater, I wonder if you could drive in the carpool lane by yourself - in California, if the car is full, you can go in:

a motorcycle can go in a carpool lane
a 2 seater can go in a 3+ carpool lane

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is tricky. They let you go in a carpool lane if you have a baby as a passenger, and the baby certainly isn't going to be driving his own car so it isn't really a carpool. If you have a car where you yourself removed a seat to reduce the capacity, then is it really full? I would be it would be at the whim of the officer writing you up, and I am chicken to take the chance.

The best bet would be to convince the CHP ticket writer (should it happen) that it is a one seat car in the first place - or that by removing the seat you double the mpg by magic. If they thought it was really a one seater, then you could argue you get motorcyle mpg anyway and are really a covered motorcyle.

Who wants to test it out?

Maybe we should all go as a convoy to make a statement and all get locked up together?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wonder if there's enough room without the seat to haul a mountain bike there? I figure anything that makes the seat space look permanently unable to carry a passenger would qualify it as a 1-seater, like cargo mounting racks or even a large bin for carrying stuff. I bet this would make my Insight a lot better for hauling my dog around -- just throw a dog bed down there!

Now, does anybody know of any sort of quick-release mounting option to use in place of the OEM bolts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts